Give me a break, OK?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Give me a break, OK?

Post by sumner4991 »

That's the question I was forced to ask the Virginia Game Wardens the second Saturday of rifle season.

I got up and knew it was cold. However, I didn't know the temps had dropped to 14 degrees. I realized this as my Honda Pilot made it's way to the 20 acres we own. I didn't have the gear to withstand these temps, I'm good at 25 degrees(maybe a little lower) . . .but, that's about the limit for the gear I had with me. So, I decided I would drive up to the second ridge and watch for crossing patterns until it warmed up a little. Usually after a good cold night, the deer will start moving to the sun around 9:30 or so. Well, I noticed a lot of action on the Matthews property which joins our land. The Matthews land is now public property and they allow archery only hunting there, well, I thought. About 8:30 I hear a rifle go off and it sounds like it came from the Matthews land. About 9 a.m., two wardens drive up behind me. I got out of my Pilot and they both meet me at the back of the vehicle. The first one asked if I'd had any luck. I told him no, that I decided to stay in the car until it warmed up a little. He explained to me that hunting from the vehicle was illegal in Virginia as he peered at my Georgia tags. He proceeded to ask for my hunting license. I told him I didn't have one. His eyes got a little bigger and he asked for my driver's license. I then explained that I was in the middle of my 20 acres! They check to see if I'm hunting over bait. As the warden walked up the ridge, a doe I had been watching jumped up and ran off. I asked the guy if he had seen the deer and he hadn't. His partner told him, "yeah, I told him to shoot it" . . .would that have been funny or what? :lol: After a few more minutes of careful questioning, they decided to give me a break.

They had been over on the Matthews land setting up disabled hunters for an exclusive rifle hunt and saw me on the ridge. I guess after they got their "work" done and had a couple of hours to kill, they decided to kill them with me.

I got to thinking . . .what's the big deal anyway? They allow all kinds of blinds and "houses", yet, I can't park my car? Why the no feeding law? There are so many deer anyway . . .I would think they would want them thinned out a little. Funny, they enacted a law to keep anyone from hunting over bait. So, from Oct 1 till the end of Jan(or something like that), the law says you can not feed wild animals, period. Therefore, everyone that has a bird feeder out in Virginia right now is breaking the law. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Grizzly Adam

Re: Give me a break, OK?

Post by Grizzly Adam »

sumner4991 wrote: They had been over on the Matthews land setting up disabled hunters for an exclusive rifle hunt and saw me on the ridge. I guess after they got their "work" done and had a couple of hours to kill, they decided to kill them with me.

I got to thinking . . .what's the big deal anyway?
The history of the eradication or near-elimination of game species in various regions, and the history of conservation restoration that has restored those populations, proves that the careful policing of hunting activities is a "big deal", Sumner ... and it is work, involving long hours, tough schedules and a lot of personal sacrifice (like prime hunting time).

We all trust that you're an ethical, law-upholding hunter yourself, so:

Why would you mind being checked? I'm always glad to see them! Around here, I'm especially glad to see them check any out-of-staters sitting around in a vehicle, given the high incidence of poaching by lazy truck-hunting slobs about anywhere you go.

They were just doing their job!

I respect the work Wildlife Enforcement Officers do. I believe the vast majority of them do it well and for the right reasons: because they care about the conservation of our natural resources. The few who abuse their authority in no way discredit the good service of those who serve us so well.

Without them, we'd all have less animals to hunt ... if we had any to hunt.

They're on our side ... and I'm on theirs. :D
Grizz
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Hey Grizz, I'm not knocking them for doing their job. I actually thought it was funny being checked. I just think the laws are a little stupid.

Think about it . . .we all shoot critters when they are going out to eat. Does it really matter if the food falls from a tree or a bucket? We know where the food is, eh? Looks like you are only eliminating the "lazy" factor . . .I personally have never put out corn or anything, just never could afford it and I didn't need it.

Once I'm parked, motor off, and over the legal distance from a road . . .is there a big difference between my car and a blind?

The feeding law was just changed last year, I believe. So, I don't think they changed that law to manage the deer population. We had reached peak populations in that area.

I just think it's a shame that they could actually give out a ticket to my Mom for enjoying her bird feeder . . .not that I think they would. I also don't like the fact that it's illegal for me to park on my own property, in my vehicle . . .I wasn't on the road. However, technically, I was probably breaking the law . . .just like the bird feeders.

No Grizz . . .I haven't shot any deer from my Pilot.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

It just depends on where you're hunting, Sumner. Here in our part of NC, you can hunt out of a vehicle as long as it's off the road (your engine must be shut off) ... and you can hunt over bait.

We all deal with laws we think are foolish or shortsighted, or both. That's partly because we often don't get involved enough in the process of changing them. Most state agencies now actively encourage sportsmen to let them know what they think of proposed changes, and to lobby for desired changes. On our state website, we can vote our preference and post our comments about the laws.

We even have county laws here ... some of which are dumb. We had one that was dumb and dangerous: you used to be able to hunt on and from the road here in Tyrrell County. I and some other folks got that changed. You can't anymore!

So ... all you can do is let them know ... and be active! :D
Grizz
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bstout wrote:They must have liked you, Sumner! :D

They would have wrote you up for certain here.
I think they decided they didn't have a good case. My gun wasn't loaded(they didn't check), my windows were rolled up, and I was sitting there eating the breakfast my Mom had packed for me the night before. I had started eating the chocolate chip cookies that was suppose to be for after lunch . . .if it had gotten any colder I would have gained 20 pounds. :lol: There was a doe within shooting range and I normally would have blasted her by 9 a.m., but, it was COLD . . .especially to a Georgia boy.

One of the local TV stations went around to homeowners one evening asking them if they knew they were breaking the law. That was a good segment . . .one old lady told the reporter, "they can just lock me up, I'm not doing without my bird feeder". :lol:

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

One more thing that kind of gripes me about this baiting thing. It's perfectly legal to buy the bait at the local Walmart. Like Buck Jam . . .just illegal to use it. If the state is going to make something illegal, it should be illegal to buy, sell, or use it. Don't you think?

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

sumner4991 wrote:One more thing that kind of gripes me about this baiting thing. It's perfectly legal to buy the bait at the local Walmart. Like Buck Jam . . .just illegal to use it. If the state is going to make something illegal, it should be illegal to buy, sell, or use it. Don't you think?
I guess the problem with that would be defining what exactly is "bait"!

The grocery section is full of stuff deer will eat! :D

Do you mean just the stuff that is marketed specifically for baiting deer? I reckon the stores in Virginia would say that it's not illegal all year long! You just can't please everyone when it comes to the application of laws.

I don't think baiting helps much anyway. I can do it legally and I never do.

If it bothers you that bad, I really would see what I could do to get it changed. Get some petitions up. Find some support. Have some meetings. You can make a difference!
Grizz
Boo

Post by Boo »

Up their's and the horse they road in on. What an assumption that Scott was hunting from a vehicle. I mean, were they hoping that Scott was going to say "Oh, I didn't realize that, I must turn myself in!" Give me a break! Some COs are decent but most have their brains tainted. Because they catch a small percentage of the hunters they check breaking the law they assume everyone breaks the law? What a moronic attitude! I guess a detective that investigates homicides thinks everyone is a killer? I think not and neither should they.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
stubblejumper

Post by stubblejumper »

Here in Alberta you can by that C'MERE Deer stuff Hank Parker sells and raves about but it is illegal to use. I saw it in Grande Prairie at Barton's, and just for the heck of it I asked a couple of employee's seperately.
One told me it was illegal to use , the other said it wasn't. I checked the reg's and it is definitely banned.
the problem I see is that a lot of people don't bother to check the reg's, they will go by what the sales guy says.I think it should be illegal to sell if it is illegal to use.
You can also buy a license plate cover here that obscures your license plate from photo radar but it is illegal to put on your vehicle. WTF.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

stubblejumper wrote: You can also buy a license plate cover here that obscures your license plate from photo radar but it is illegal to put on your vehicle. WTF.
Exactly . . .it's almost like saying it's OK to be a pusher, just don't take the drugs! Entrapment rings a bell here.

Boo . . .I guess the only thing that would have upset me is if these guys came in while I was hunting! These guys just had some time on their hands and decided to mess with me a little. They had no way of knowing I was from Georia until they got to my car.

Grizz . . .I'll file a complaint with the state, but, I don't get to Virginia enough to organize a posse. :) When I do go, it's purely pleasure, no business allowed!

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Limbs and Sticks

wardens

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I know a few game wardens,no here say here. all through out the state of VA. there will be no warning tickets, write a ticket to the max, same with state troopers. Va. needs all the money it can get and this is one way of getting it this is no bs this is fact.

WES
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
frisky

Post by frisky »

I have been checked for a license 3 times in my life, and twice on my own property!! I must look "shady".
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

i know how you feel thier sumner. if thier going to do something about the baiting go ahead and do it. the fines are not siff enough and folks that do get caught go right back at baiting. thats the main reason i dropped out of my last club i was in bait was every were. and this was a dog hunting club go figure. i wish they would do like sc and make it leagle to do. as for bing checked you got lucky i have only been checked 1 time out of 20 years of hunting.. as for bird feeders i must be a law breaker then. i have out in early spring and thru smmer plenty of humming bird feeders so i guess i am guilty. look out for a pm frm me in a jiffy.
excalibur phoenix
lumi-zone
sts system
acu draw 50
custom string by boo
groundpounders mount
cas custom bolts
100gr slick tricks
excalibur shooter for life
wabi

Post by wabi »

I would guess the no feeding law is a preventative measure against spreading diseases like CWD.
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

wabi wrote:I would guess the no feeding law is a preventative measure against spreading diseases like CWD.
Maybe so in other states, but, Virginia it's strickly to catch people that use bait for hunting purposes. I say that because it's only illegal during hunting season . . .the rest of the year it's legal.

This was the first time I've ever been checked . . .30 years of hunting. I did go through a road check once, but, never had a warden target me.

There are so few wardens, they are usually tied up looking into complaints. I don't think anyone was complaining in this case.

But, like I said, the wardens were doing their job. They did it very professionally. I would have to give them high marks for the job they did. I just wish the laws were a little different.

There are probably worse laws on the books.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen