Getting there early and staying late

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dutchhunter

huntijng

Post by dutchhunter »

n ontario the definition of huntinh is very wide laying in wait on the trail of and such we muct carry a case with us before light and after light i find it is nice to be early but sometimes it pays to wait to be able to see beore entering hunting area DUTCH
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

VixChix wrote:Image

You mean you guys don't think knitting a nice warm pair of mitts would be more exciting than just trying to stay awake?!?!! :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
UUHHH! Yea Yea real nice like subneural said if thats what you wanna call it. I say real exciting and just be careful with them big long needles..Ü
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Not that I'm trying to redeem this thread or anything :wink: ... but on a serious (and relevant) note:

Wasn't there once a device marketed for hunters that was actually a small strobe light that you wore on your head to alert others to your presence?

Anyone else remember such a thing?
Grizz
wabi

Post by wabi »

Where I hunt I can see little difference in deer sightings if I go in an hour before daylight or right at daylight. (what I'm calling daylight is when it's light enough to be able to see to walk without a light - legally, a little over 1/2 hour before sunrise)
I do not like to walk in right at daylight or dark for the safety reasons you mention, though. If I do I usually carry a light, and keep it ON for safety reasons.
Most evenings, unless deer activity is extremely high, I leave before dark. Even legal sunset is a bit late to shoot a deer as it means you need to wait until it's almost too dark to see to start trailing. We are allowed to archery hunt until 1/2 hour after sunset, but I seldom stay that late, and if I do I wait until my light will be very obvious before I walk out.
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

My wife made my crossbow case, it folds up and fits in a pocket. It was made to accommodate the Groundpounder mount. It has a hole sewn in to the top so the quiver can stay attached and out of the case. I brought it straight to the Aylmer MNR to get written approval, the guys there loved it.
If your bow is encased at the legal time you are welcome to stay in your hunting spot for as long as you choose, all night if you really want to.
Once your bow/rifle/shotgun is encased you are just a guy in the woods, that is why we have the encasement laws. You can wander freely where ever you would like at whatever hour you would like, with your encased firearm.
Letting other people know you are there is a must.

I don't walk continuously with a light though, I think that defeats the whole purpose of going in before light.. I get to my spot by crossing through a cornfield, I only pass one bush and when I get close to it I use an intense pencil beamed flashlight and wave it up, not across, I don't think deer can comprehend distance all that well when it come to light.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Normous

Post by Normous »

Grizzly Adam wrote:Not that I'm trying to redeem this thread or anything :wink: ... but on a serious (and relevant) note:

Wasn't there once a device marketed for hunters that was actually a small strobe light that you wore on your head to alert others to your presence?

Anyone else remember such a thing?
I use one of those Halloween safety flashers designed for children during their quest for goodies. Mine is a small flashing pin-on pumpkin that cost $1.00. I have a few of those. Any hunter can appreciate their value and cost.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

bstout wrote: Mimicry is the greatest form of flattery! :D
I always try my best to be just like you, Bob. :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:
Grizz
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

I enjoy still hunting and have found myself miles from my truck when darkness falls. I normally carry 2 flashlights and spare batteries. My flashlights and gps all use the same type of batteries.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Canabow wrote:I enjoy still hunting and have found myself miles from my truck when darkness falls. I normally carry 2 flashlights and spare batteries. My flashlights and gps all use the same type of batteries.
smart man..I do the same ..once my flashlight conked out on me and i didnt take a spare..I do now..well anyway thank God for the GPS it took me right to my truck which was about 2 miles away not far but in the dark everything changes..I was trekking thru crap I would have never gone thru I was worn out by the time I got to the truck..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I don't walk continuously with a light though, I think that defeats the whole purpose of going in before light..

I think I agree with pydpiper here, I dont use a flashlight for this same reason. I think it could spook deer, but I have read about the green light flashlights that deer and other animals cant see. Anyone here use these with any success?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-