excalibur question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

michiganman

excalibur question

Post by michiganman »

im looking at buying my first cross bow.i always come to excalibur because of the quality.i want to be able to shoot to 40 yards if needed,on rare ocasions.i had been looking at the phoenix,but wondering to get me enough power should i go the the vortex.
also i see speed ratted at 350 grain arrow,what kind of speed will the vortex give me with a 400-410 grain bolt.
michiganman

bows

Post by michiganman »

also if i went with the 200lb vortex,how hard to cock it with the rope ,JIM
VixChix

Re: bows

Post by VixChix »

michiganman wrote:also if i went with the 200lb vortex,how hard to cock it with the rope ,JIM
I'm a woman and I can cock the E-Max with the cocking aid. Not easy, but possible. The Vortex should be pretty easy. Can you get to a store that will let you try?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
michiganman

help

Post by michiganman »

is that a crank model,or string
VixChix

Re: help

Post by VixChix »

michiganman wrote:is that a crank model,or string

String.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
michiganman

stores

Post by michiganman »

nothing close that has any excaliburs.i think maybe 50 miles is closest.
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I have the vortex, I thought it was going to be hard, not as hard as I thought, Vix got it right go to the store and try cocking one with the rope

WES
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Any friends nearby that have one you can try?

"Easy" vs. "difficult" is relative depending on the individual, but I'd say the average, physically able guy would have no problems with the Vortex using the string cocking aid.

As for shooting distance, I'd shoot my Vixen at 50 feet - but only at a target, never at a deer. My personal limit for a deer would be under 30 yards. It's not about the killing, it's about the hunting. :D
fratri

Post by fratri »

I have a phoenix, I am very confident it will take a deer at 40 yds, no problem...as always, shot placement is key...but it has more than eneogh power
michiganman

hunting

Post by michiganman »

your right its all about the hunt.i have been bow hunting for over 35 years,and now do to bad shoulders,may be a cross bow.i hunt to 40 yards with my bow,even though i have only shot one of my 40 bucks at 42yards.

i would want to be able if conditions were perfest to do the same with a cross bow.

also i see speeds on the chart that are posted with different strings these bows come with.looks like with strings that are stock on the bows,they are 20-30 fps slower than posted speeds.so a vortex with a hunting bolt would be closer to 300 fps.and the phoenix would be closer to 280 fps
wabi

Post by wabi »

Being a Phoenix owner and having killed several deer with it I would have to say 40 yards would be possible - but I wouldn't recommend it.
All my kills have been under 20 yards, so I can't speak from actual experience, but I would consider 30 yards a safe shot - 35 would be fairly safe on an unalerted deer - and 40 would be trusting a lot to luck. The accuracy & power is not the problem, the deer's quick reaction time is the problem.
If I were going to try 40 yard shot opportunities I would go with something a bit faster, but I find it's much easier to just pass those longer shots and wait for one to get closer. :D
wabi
michiganman

hunts

Post by michiganman »

thanks wabi. i also wouldnt take that shot with my bow,unless perfect conditions.i like them under 25yds.with your post,then going to 30 fps faster might give just a little more edge,if needed at a longer range.does anyone use a sts on the crossbows to help quiet them down,
also how is recoil on the excaliburs??

what 3 dot scope would you recomend??.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i have had the exocet 200 and have the newer phoenix. does the phoenix have whats needed for deer at 40 yds ? yes but do you ? i have had them string jump at 20 yds using a 400 gr arrow. so its all up to you to be able to tell if the deer is on high alert. most the time they are not, but sometimes they just up and beat us. Both are great models
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I shoot both. Vortex gives me an honest 318 fps with Flemmish string and 401 grn arrows. Phoenix does 280 with same. But I limit the phoenix to 30 yards. Can I hit at 40? Sure, even 50 but they are immobile targets ... not live deer. Your call but I'd go with the Vortex.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

BTW, the 200 lb Vortex cocks much easier with a rope cocker than the 175 lb compound Cyclone (another crossbow I also shoot).... likely due to the short stiff bows and reverse cams of the latter.