Mantinence on your crossbow!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Pydpiper wrote:Daily maintenance.. Chipping off the mud and with some luck a bit of blood. Pulling all the little twigs out from behind the dissipater pads from using the bow to break a trail...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I do give my Phoenix regular maintenance.
On a normal hunting day I wipe it off with a cloth before I store it, and I wipe the rail with a lube impregnated sheepskin pad. (my own lube formula of beeswax & neetsfoot oil, plus some RemOil on the pad, too.)
Been thinking of switching to a silicone impregnated gun cloth, though.
If I hunt in the rain or heavy snow I have a procedure of also blowing off any moisture with compressed air, then give the claws & trigger area a shot of WD-40, let it set for a minute, then blow off all I can with compressed air. I then give the same area a shot of RemOil and blow off any excess with compressed air. I also give extra attention to screws & bolt heads after exposing it to rain/snow. I make sure they are moisture free & oil covered (very thin coat) before storing it.
One of the places I've found that needs careful attention is the exposed threads of the screws (4 screws) that hold the straps that go over the DB's (or just the limbs on models without DBs). That's the only spot I've ever seen rust on one of my Excaliburs, and after seeing it - it hasn't happened again! :wink: (more compressed air & oil :lol: )
Might be "overkill", but I've never had rust or trigger problems and I don't plan on changing my "routine" unless I do have a problem. But then, I've only been using this routine for about 8 years now.
wabi
deer jamie

Post by deer jamie »

if your hunting in the rain and cold make sure your trigger doesent freeze a little wd-40 worked for me i sprayed it in the safty and no issues since
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome to the forum
I do most of my mantinence with string wax
I keep my serving waxed and wax the whole string from time to time.
I dip my bolt threads in hot wax then put them in,they don't rust (on the inside) and they dont back out as easy.
I have some oil that smells like pine and I use that on the bolt heads.
I use WD 40 on the trigger if it's been wet otherwise I use dry lube spray teflon on the trigger.
I use blue loc tite on the scope rail bolt threads and scope ring bolt threads.
During hunting season I check it daily and wipe it down with a gun cloth.

I try to take good care of my string,unless I'm sending it to an opposing team member like maybe some crazy guy from Va. :shock: :shock:
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
honker

Post by honker »

Great advice so far...

Then what would people suggest for winter storage?
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

They are kinda like an 870. Just shoot it.

(sting wax required though).
I come by my name honestly.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I just lube my string and clean the deck with silicone when I remember.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

For winter storage,basicly the same procedures as the weekly .Oil the trigger mechanism after drying,wax the string .But the next is remove the Db pads before removing the string.(it saves the pads from swishing into fat pancakes )For the most part you do not have to remove the string ,it is a personal choice .
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I remove the db pads, turn the string end for end and wax it, after making sure all screws and bolts are tight. Spray the bow with Jig A Loo (it dries to a slick film and does not attract dust, dirt), give the trigger a touch of Teflon lube, take bow off stock and store it in the container formerly know as Gun Safe.