exocet 165

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

roland

exocet 165

Post by roland »

I have a older exocet 165 lb. and I would like to know what I would gain if I but mag tip limbs and a flemish string on it. For any info on this would I would be thankful. It has taken deer as it is and works good.
mikej

Post by mikej »

i put mag tips on mine just so i could shoot a fast flight string plus i have been told that mag tips add about 5 fps by themselves. i also shimmed the riser on it to the angle of the new ones
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

I have switched to mag tips on my old 165 and use a Boo string and it is much more quiet, and opens the door to using many diff strings. Nothing wrong with the old carved tip limbs, I have taken many deer with them. Hitting a bulls-eye is hitting a bulls-eye and you will do that with both limb styles no diff there. And I am sure there is a way to make the carved tips a more quiet shooter. I just got an offer I could not pass up on the mag tips and Boo string and it is quiet. And I am pretty sure it is the string that has made the diff on making the bow more quiet. My buddy has a new Vortex and uses a reg string and it is much louder than mine. Otherwise I would still be shooting my old carved tips, I have all the confidence in the world in those things. I have put mine thru there paces over the years and fired thousands of shots and it was still a tack driver when I retired them and I will NEVER get rid of them.
Fishn-Hunter
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I think the only advantage would be speed but I have the same bow and choose to leave her stock,if I want to go fast I also have a Max! [/img]
The best things in life are not things!!
Normous

Post by Normous »

Changing both will net you about 10fps.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

put yhe same question to Bill T. 5-6 yrs ago,not enough gain for the $.his advice sell the bow and buy a new one I dd and never looked back..the old bow sold for asking price,same day as it appeared in the triad.
mikej

Post by mikej »

bait pile willie wrote:put yhe same question to Bill T. 5-6 yrs ago,not enough gain for the $.his advice sell the bow and buy a new one
i have to disagree willie. the bow topped with a varizone , quiver and soft case cost 150$ the mag tips cost 80$ a fast flight string cost 20$ and shimming the riser cost 10$ dissipator bars cost 30$ thats a fairly modern crossbow made by the best company in the business for around 300$. add on the extras its still not to pricey dan miller quiver mount 20$ rope cocker 30$ stringing aid 25$ total package cost about 400$
Normous

Post by Normous »

You can easily make a 1" riser extension out of a small piece of solid aluminum block. Fit it between the riser and rail. Just cut out the arrow grove and bolt from underneath. Drill and tap a second attachment hole for the riser. This will give you 1" more power stoke and 20 fps. I could not afford to purchase a new Excalibur, whenever Excalibur came out with new and faster model.
My older 1992 Exocet recieved new Mag Tips limbs (inexpensive seconds) a homemade 1" riser extension plus aluminum riser angled shims to duplicate the newer angled riser. It shot 317 fps with GTII's and 100 gr heads. So I basicly duplicated the newer faster models with a little bit of tinkering and $50 or so for paint blem. Mag Tips limbs. It reliably shot 2500 times for me in that configuration before selling it 2 years ago.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
roland

Post by roland »

I taked to a bow shop about selling and buying a new one and they said that it would cost me about $400.00 to gain about 25 ft per second and they said that they would not .
dutchhunter

feet per sec

Post by dutchhunter »

you would have t sell private shops have to make money on used bows and would probable offer 100$ less then thy figger thy could get for it quikly
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I just put my carved tip exocet away and shoot the phoenix I bought from a member here on the forum.

If I put molded tip limbs on the old exocet the camo patterns would clash something awful.

Besides, I like that old crossbow just the way it is!
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

I sold my old exocet for 450.bought a vixen delux on sale for less than that,already had a varizone scope,omly had to buy a scope rail,and quiver assembly,far less than the 400 bucks mentioned above,only wish I had more exocets to sell.