Crossbows in Michigan

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

B-Logger

Crossbows in Michigan

Post by B-Logger »

Some folks have asked to keep posted on any activity in MI concerning crossbows. Looks like they just keep passing the buck. So, basically nothing is being done except talking once in a while and a useless poll.

From MUCC's website:

The crossbow issue is not dead yet, however it appears Representative Sheltrown’s “crossbows for all” bill (HB 5741) may not be passed this legislative session. It passed the Michigan House of Representatives overwhelmingly 94-14 in June of this year and has been sitting dormant in the Senate while the legislature has been on recess. On December 2nd, the Senate Hunting, Fishing, and Outdoor Recreation Committee took testimony on crossbow expansion, but decided not to take action on the bill.

MUCC has stood by the founding principles of Proposal G (1996), which gives exclusive authority to the Natural Resources Commission (NRC) to regulate the taking of game using sound scientific management. The NRC and the DNR will continue their work by holding stakeholder discussions during their monthly meetings and gathering scientific data on the potential impact of expanded crossbow use on our wildlife populations. The next crossbow discussion with the NRC is slated for their January meeting at the Lansing Center, where they will have a narrowed down set of proposals to discuss.

Legislators have discussed passing a different bill in the next legislative session that requires the NRC to take action on crossbow expansion, but allows the DNR the flexibility to decide how to do that. Expansion of the use of crossbows to other firearm seasons (turkey, bear, elk, etc) and a crossbow deer stamp added to a combination deer license have been discussed.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

man that sinks. tell them to take what it has done for georiga. if the law makers really think about it it can be more reveune for them from out of state license for folks who want to hunt with a crossbow in that state. to me if they pass it, it will be a good thing for everyone.
excalibur phoenix
lumi-zone
sts system
acu draw 50
custom string by boo
groundpounders mount
cas custom bolts
100gr slick tricks
excalibur shooter for life
michiganman

cross bow

Post by michiganman »

what did hapen in august they did change the disability requirements .they changed from 80% disability in a arm shoulder,to disability to shoot a conventional bow.i didnt qualify untill this passed.It took 4 doctors ,before i found one that would give me a evalation.

i only found 1 physical thearpist to do it.this total process took me 4 weeks to do,still needs more work ,so your family doctor is willing to do it.
terrym

Post by terrym »

Tell your state officials to have a look at the impact crossbows have in Ontario. None of the hysterical lies that anti's preach are a fact of life and we have had crossbow hunting for years. All it does is allow more people to hunt more and stimulate the economy with increased license, equipment and butchering fees. Maybe they will understand that?
saxman

Post by saxman »

I have a MI crossbow permit and hope that my brothers in that state,disabled or not can soon hunt with this great bow.

Thanks for the update
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

terrym wrote:Tell your state officials to have a look at the impact crossbows have in Ontario. None of the hysterical lies that anti's preach are a fact of life and we have had crossbow hunting for years. All it does is allow more people to hunt more and stimulate the economy with increased license, equipment and butchering fees. Maybe they will understand that?
Terry, this has been done along with facts from many other States in the U.S. However, our DNR is as backwards as any organization can be. In addition to that, the Michigan Bow Hunters are and always have been dead set against crossbows. Sad to say, they have good numbers in the organization and it appears most in the NRC and DNR are afraid to go against their wishes.

I feel the only way to get the job done is though the legislature. It is sad to try to rule hunting and fishing though politicians, but that seems to be the only way to get things moving in Michigan. But, we have made some progress. At least I and many others can now hunt with crossbows, but I surely wish I could have done so many years ago.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
hetichunter

Post by hetichunter »

You can use crossbows here in illinois if you get a doctors permit saying you cant use a regular bow. But just like MI the politicians here listen too much to the bow hunters and the big money contributers down in southern illinois to ever let the avg guy hunt with one.
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

hetichunter wrote:You can use crossbows here in illinois if you get a doctors permit saying you cant use a regular bow. But just like MI the politicians here listen too much to the bow hunters and the big money contributers down in southern illinois to ever let the avg guy hunt with one.
62 and up in age can use one too..
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
michiganman

Illinois

Post by michiganman »

i just got my doctors,dnr Michigan permit for disability.i contacted Illinois to be able to use my permit.i now have to go through all the same thing for Illinois if i want to hunt there.they wont take my dnr certification that I'm permanently disabled with doctors signature.

you would think the dnr,s would honor another states disability.
Woody Williams

Re: Illinois

Post by Woody Williams »

michiganman wrote:i just got my doctors,dnr Michigan permit for disability.i contacted Illinois to be able to use my permit.i now have to go through all the same thing for Illinois if i want to hunt there.they wont take my dnr certification that I'm permanently disabled with doctors signature.

you would think the dnr,s would honor another states disability.
They should, but they wont. You'd think it would be like handicapped car plates.

I got mine from Illinois a couple years ago. You have to be PERMANENTLY disabled to get one there. I got mine and it expired in three years.. How is that for PERMANENT?

I'm over 62 so I now have a PERMAMENT crossbow license there.

I'm headed over Tuesday for at least one more try at a buck
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
michiganman

hunting

Post by michiganman »

woody

good luck in that big buck state,
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

they being Michigan should take a look at Tn. CB stats for the past several years. it allows everyone to use one. the regular Bow ppl. shoot lots more deer than we do here. Tipton county where i live shows 71 with Bows & 34 with CB's.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315