Best Rangefinder?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bill Kemp

Best Rangefinder?

Post by Bill Kemp »

Hello:

I am new to this forum and would like to know how many of you use rangefinders for hunting and in your opinion which rangefinder is best for the excalibur crossbows.

Thanks

Bill
bradm

Post by bradm »

I think if you are new to hunting/bow hunting you should buy a rangefinder to get familiar with the different ranges. This will help you see how much the arrow drops at different yardages.

If you are planning on buying the mount that allows you to attach a rangefinder to the scope of the crossbow, make sure you buy one that is in a landscape orientation rather than a verticle one.

I bought the one that was on sale a Canadian tire for $100.00, it it gets the job done.

Do you have a vari-zone or lumizone scope for your crossbow?
Theres a place for all gods animals, Right beside the mashed potatoes and gravy.
Bill Kemp

Post by Bill Kemp »

I have the varizone scope on my newly acquired Y25.

I will be making a new wooden (Walnut) stock to replace the Y25 stock to keep it in perfect shape. I am going to try and mimic the Y25 stock but might alter it a little bit for my comfort and taste. I would image that this will take me about a month to make, but hey it is winter now and lots of time.

Bill
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

should make a couple of them Bill, should be ableto sell them, always people looking for wood stocks, heck might even buy one myself :) :)
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

archers choice has a model under the nikon rangefinders thats ideal for bow hunting... it will range out to 200 yards no problem also even though it says 99yards max. It also has ARC for ranging from treestands

if I get one, thats the one on my list.. about 200-220 bucks

bushnell makes a trailscout 1000 which is good also...

just go somewhere and test a few that they have on display. Some fit better than others for different people. but as you know they range from 150 bucks up to 500 :D
mikew

Post by mikew »

Nikon Archers Choice or Nikon Riflehunter 550.
(the latter if you also play golf :D )

I was given a Riflehunter for Christmas - sweet rangefinder & measures in partial yards at bow ranges too.

-Mike
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

like cf sauid thats the wone you want to get. wheni get my tax return fromuncle sam thats wee it will go on the archer choice
excalibur phoenix
lumi-zone
sts system
acu draw 50
custom string by boo
groundpounders mount
cas custom bolts
100gr slick tricks
excalibur shooter for life
michiganman

bushnell

Post by michiganman »

i tried the bushnell 450.you have to touch button every time you want to check yardage.if you wanted it mounted to xbow,you would want one that will scan objects as you move.this way you could get different readings if you moved without having to reset it every time
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
Bill Kemp

Post by Bill Kemp »

Thanks for the info about the rangefinder that you have to push a button to obtain yrds. What make would do the automatic type readings?
Bowster

Post by Bowster »

I've been searching for some time for the Riflehunter in Canada.

To order from Cabelas incurs an extra $100 US in duty and shipping.

Even to search for the product specs is quite difficult as Nikon Canada site doesn't even list this product.

Does the Riflehunter have the scan mode?

I like the simplicity of this rangefinder but the scan mode is a feature I would prefer.
If the thrill of the hunt is lost, then I have lost.

Phoenix - Varizone Scope - Custom GT Laser II - 100 grain Slicks / brass inserts - Boo string

PSE Axe 6 - Axcel Sight - QAD Rest - TruBall S1 Release
ninepointer

Re: bushnell

Post by ninepointer »

michiganman wrote:i tried the bushnell 450.you have to touch button every time you want to check yardage.if you wanted it mounted to xbow,you would want one that will scan objects as you move.
Anybody know what models offer this scan feature?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
crazyfarmer

Re: bushnell

Post by crazyfarmer »

michiganman wrote:i tried the bushnell 450.you have to touch button every time you want to check yardage.if you wanted it mounted to xbow,you would want one that will scan objects as you move.this way you could get different readings if you moved without having to reset it every time
thats the one I have now.. its good for the money, but ive tried to range deer for kicks and giggles at 100 yards and it wouldnt read them. I just use mine to read trees before the deer start moving. Its a good starter model for the price... but the archers choice or 550 is on my list for 09. My brother in law got that model and its pretty nice :D
Rich

Post by Rich »

I have the Leupold RX-II, it has the ARC and you can also scan with it. If I had to buy another one I don't think the ARC would be such a selling factor if I was only using it for bow hunting. The angle doesn't seem to make that much of a differance in normal bow range from 20-25 feet. The RX-I would suffice for bow hunting needs.

Rich
Bill Kemp

Post by Bill Kemp »

Any other rangefinders that have the scanning feature other than the Leopold's.

Thanks

Bill
ch312

Post by ch312 »

my dad has a bushnell with ARC and to me its useless. we were out squirrel hunting one day and i climbed up in a treestand that was about 10 ft up (plus me being 6ft) to test it out. i ranged from 10 yards out to 70 yards from the stand and there was only a 2 or 3 yard difference at all ranges i checked which isnt even a factor for most bows.

im guessing it would only be useful if you are shooting at longer ranges with a gun or maybe up 25ft in a stand...

i use a bushnell scout and it works fine except when trying to range through a little brush which will give false readings. we need on that gives the range of the exact spot where the crosshairs intersect but thats likely impossible or expensive.

it has a scan feature on it but you gotta hold the button for that.