What worked, what didn't, what you would change

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rich

Post by Rich »

CF,

I usually ordered mine over the phone directly from them. I've bought some at the Richmond Show also. Here is the link:

http://www.btdoutdoors.com/products.htm#scents

I bought a pair of Muck Boots this year that I used in the colder weather, they didn't keep my feet as warm as expected. I may try the A-Burlys next year, I have a habit of putting sticks or barb wire through my boots so that's why I stick with the cheapo's.

Rich
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

What didn't work for me was not doing my usual early season scouting. The one thing that has helped me most is my hunting log. This is my third year keeping one and some defining patterns are starting to emerge. I didn't think it would ever be very valuable but I cant wait to enter all the data at the end of the year and see that there are lessons to be learned from it.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Not going with my gut instinct, or accumulation of knowledge. Had I, my tag soup would not exist.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

gear i that made my year was a new pair of leupold binos...helped me see more critters for sure ....another was a cough eliminator .....if you have to cough just use the box .... gear i would toss away is my remmington stand from bass pro shop ...very uncomfortable seat and noisy in cold weather...toss may be a bit harsh maybe i'll just put it in a spot where i don't care if it gets stolen... another poor purchase was my whitetails gortex coat from cabelas ...although it did keep me dry it did loose it's warmth from the previous year and the outer material shredded way to easy leaving holes in the arms .....
MPSNIPER

Post by MPSNIPER »

I agree with Unclefester about the buckbombs. For me, a complete waste of money.

-Michael
"like a hound...he hunts in his dreams"
M&M

Post by M&M »

powder for me I will not use powder from the previous year in my muzzloaeder. when shooting my muzzloader prior to the season as I got my group close to where it needed to be and I ran out of last seasons powder and I started using new powder the group shifted quite a bit so I will no longer use last years powder. I know others may have no problems and thats ok but for me I have to eliminate potential problems as I see them so then the only problem left is me. M&M
hawg hunter

What wrks and what Don't

Post by hawg hunter »

What wrks: Slicks and Montec G5 Ameristep Dog House TSC, Ghillie suit when no blind or tree available, Real Black powder,Musket caps, soft lead bullets , Barnes MZ and Blackbelt Bullets

What Don't: Buck Bomb, Scent lock clothing,Dead down wind scent blocker, Mech BHDS tend to give another varible that could fail when you need them to be right. C'Mere deer. Most black powder subs. Hard to ignite and expensive as well as inconsistent in velocity and accurracy. I've shot Muzzle loaders and BPCR since the 1970's and have competed in shooting matches in a number of ststes and have not seen anyone ever win a serious comp. with a black powder sub. For hunting iffy.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The only thing I own that I have complete faith in is my 3D leaf suit, I would not want to still hunt without it.

I went through a whole lot of Buck Bomb, only once did it bring a nice buck straight to me, other than that I used it on my boots, it worked very well for that.
Rocket broadhead, it was a devastating contraption, even if they only work once.

My failures came from within. :oops:
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
bow hunter

Post by bow hunter »

I purchased some doe in heat scent this year from the local canadian tire. I can't remember the brand name but it is produced locally in ontario. Each container is pretty small. They produce both buck scent and doe in heat scent. Each container is labelled with the buck or doe's number identifying which deer it came from. On two ocacasions this fall I saw this stuff work. On one occasion a decent 8 pointer that seemed like he was going to walk by out of range, seemed to catch a wiff of the stuff and walked up a hill to give me a perfect 15 yd broad side shot. On another occasion I watched a spike walk past my scent bomb containing tinks and walk right to the bush that I had hung the scent bomb on containing this stuff. He stood there sniffing the air for a good 5 minutes only inches from the scent bomb. On several cold mornings when I picked my scent bomb up at the end of the hunt that contained tinks it would be frozen. The other stuff would not be. I'm guessing this is a good indication of purity verus tinks watered down stuff. Definitely going to use that stuff next year. The problem is the stuff doesn't ususlly apppear on the shelf until later in the season. I assume they don't start extracing the stuff until the deer enter the rut. That's why it's not on the shelf in the early part of the season.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Sounds like that might have been "Code Blue"?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
bow hunter

Post by bow hunter »

Nope. It was in a small container with a red label and is produced in Ontario from a single deer farm. I've only ever seen the stuff at Canadian Tire.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

My father in law had the same situation, only it was his only deer of the season, blamed his Remington's ejection port for taking in too much cedar. :?:

Reminds me of something I read:

Nothing is louder than a gun that goes "bang", when you expect it to go "click", or a gun that goes "click" when you expect it to go "bang".

Unclefester, I would write Lightfield with your experience, you may be pleasantly surprised with how they respond.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

VixChix wrote:Sounds like that might have been "Code Blue"?
If it worked well, it wasn't code blue.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Kenton wrote:
VixChix wrote:Sounds like that might have been "Code Blue"?
If it worked well, it wasn't code blue.
ROFLOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
deerdhunter

Post by deerdhunter »

Most of my hunting this year was done before the end of November but I was able to take a 7 & a 9 pointer with my exomag & I let several bucks & does walk.

Over the years I have tried a lot of stuff that didn't work. In the last couple of years I have been pleasantly surprised by somethings that did work well for me.

To my surprise my Summit treestand sits comfortably & grips great - enabling me to climb high & sit a long time. I mostly hunt suburbs around my home. Moving from 15 feet to 20-25 ft has made a lot of difference in not being seen or winded by deer. I put a snap hook on my pack - snap it to one side of the climber & can climb & have everything accessable to me once hunting.

I bought a Hot Headz 6-1 fleece hood that promised to be wind & waterproof. I was skeptical but it has been great at keeping me warm. I am going to buy a back-up in case I lose the one I have.

For the past 3 years the grunt tube has worked fantastic for me. I have been hunting the down wind side of a small grown over field that is a doe bedding area. The bucks cruise the edge & it is a real hot spot.

I bought an LED headlamp at Wally World & it has been a great asset to have my hands free going & coming from the stand.

I picked up a pair of military micky boots at a yard sale & they worked well although I didn't have any real cold weather - maybe high teens.

I also bought Rivers West fleece jacket & pants - there are somethings I don't like about them but so far they are the best I have found.