Lab Breeders in Eastern Ontario

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jay73

Lab Breeders in Eastern Ontario

Post by jay73 »

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations with Labrador Retriever breeders around the area. We are hoping to get one in the next few months. We have to decide on colour still, however we are leaning heavily towards yellow.

Any input is appreciated.

Jay
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

j
I was a Master Feeds dealer for 15+ years and one of our co-dealers were Lanark-Leeds Feed Co.. There was a Salesman for Master Feeds who was a breeder and was well known in the hunting field for his Labs. I cannot recall his name, but if you ask at the feed dealer they would know. He sold alot of product for them.
Mark
Exomax
GT II Lazer arrows
125gr expandables
White Tiger 2" Blazer vanes
Chartruese Custom Boo string
Stricknine Expandables
Dabbling with Trad 55#
Mathews Q2 60-70#
Beman arrows
Charlie Booze

Post by Charlie Booze »

J. I don't know of a breeder, but you could try KIJIJI. com under pets, it will say dogs, puppies, for sale. You might find a breeder in your area. G OOD LUCK. :)
John Wade

Post by John Wade »

I work with dogs for a living so maybe I can help. What are using the dog for? Hunting? Pet only? That affects where I would point you. I understand wanting a certain look for a dog so yellow is fine but there are more important factors to consider when looking for breeders. Blood lines vary tremendously.

The cheapest part of a dog is the purchase price. Not much point getting a dog for hunting and/or pet if it doesn't have the drive for the former and the temperament for the latter. Physical stability is something to consider as well when looking for a breeder.

A friend of mine is the former Gun Dog Trainer of the Year for Great Britain but he trains out of Florida. He breeds once in a while and if he doesn't have something he can point you in the right direction.

You'll have the dog for over a decade. It's worth spending a little extra and considering breeders farther afield. Keep in mind as well anyone that can tell the difference between a male and a female dog is a breeder. I've earned my living training and writing about dogs for 25 years. I've met a lot of breeders that were nice people, some had nice dogs, some had won trials, some had a lot of ribbons on the wall. I kid you not though when i say that I've met about half a dozen that actually knew what they're doing.

Personally I would avoid Kijiji at all costs. Good breeders don't advertise on Kijiji. Around here you get a lot of the Mennonite breeders on there and they're puppy mill breeders. I was called as a behavior consultant on three of their dogs this week, different breeds, different households. All three households had someone hospitalized. One a boy whose lip had been torn from his face.

You want to give me a call I'll give you some direction that will save you a lot of time and increase the chances you get the most dog for your money.

jw
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

John Wade wrote:Personally I would avoid Kijiji at all costs. Good breeders don't advertise on Kijiji. Around here you get a lot of the Mennonite breeders on there and they're puppy mill breeders. jw
Thank you for saying this John! I've worked with rescue for many years and it's INSANE how many breeders are out there that don't have a clue. Sure they might provide papers, or tell you what great champions are supposedly in the (diluted) line, but... most are in it for the $ or because they misguidedly think their dog is so wonderful that it should be bred.

While I personally usually recommend contacting a breed rescue organization, if you're looking for a working dog it's best to find a truly reputable breeder.

If you're looking for a purebred pet - consider adopting a rescue which has been fostered, temperament tested, and health assessed from an organization that carefully screens it's adoption applications.
Last edited by VixChix on Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
John Wade

Post by John Wade »

While I personally usually recommend contacting a breed rescue organization, if you're looking for a working dog it's best to find a truly reputable breeder.

If you're looking for a purebred pet - consider adopting a rescue which has been fostered, temperament tested, and health assessed from an organization that carefully screens it's adoption applications.
There are more then a few reasons I recommend breed specific rescues over general rescues. Breed specific rescue volunteers are generally much better informed then regular rescues. They're more realistic about which dog should go where rather then just getting them sold. They 'read' the dogs they get more accurately. They know what to look for, what questions to ask to make sure the breed and the individual dogs are optimally matched. Many have or are breeders, all have owned more then a few of that particular breed as a rule and hang out together like they're patch members of a breed gang. Either way, they're really nuts about the breed they're dedicated to as opposed to, "I love dogs, so I volunteer at a rescue." which when you think about is a little scary considering the importance of being able to assess a dog for baggage which many rescue dogs have to one degree or another. Each breed has its idiosyncrasies and specialization doesn't hurt. I even send people to them that want to buy a pure bred puppy. My reasoning is they'll know who's who in that breed's world and who to avoid and who to seek out.

jw
John Wade the Dog Trainer
www.johnwade.ca
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Preach it, brother John! :lol:

I work mostly with Airedale Rescue: http://www.aire-rescue.com and http://www.airecanada.com

Airedale rescue people are a little crazy, just like their dogs - in a good way. Very committed to the breed and to making sure people who adopt our rescues are screened, home visited, references checked, etc. People without a sense of humour are not even considered for 'dales! :lol: We are also there for support and to provide resources after the adoption.

We live with the foster dogs and expose them to as many different situations as is appropriate to get a good idea of what kind of environment the dog needs.... (the priority is NOT what kind of dog the applicant wants.) We will do `boot camp` with the foster dog if needed. We provide necessary medical care, the dogs we place will be clean, groomed, fecals checked, have shots, neutered/spayed, etc. We will provide as much information as possible about the dog as we don`t want the dog to lose it`s home ever again.

Check out the latest rescue - it`s rare that I get a pup so young: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=24936

I'm not familiar with Lab rescue, but a bit of internet digging would probably turn up a contact.

(Thanks guys, for letting me put in a plug for breed rescue!) :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Thanks for the replies.

The dog will primarily be a pet for the family, however, I would like to be able to train it to help me find downed deer. I realize that this would probably not be the best choice of dog to follow blood trails, but this is the breed we chose for the family. If all it ends up to be is a family pet, I won't be that disappointed.

Jay
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

j
PM sent.
Exomax
GT II Lazer arrows
125gr expandables
White Tiger 2" Blazer vanes
Chartruese Custom Boo string
Stricknine Expandables
Dabbling with Trad 55#
Mathews Q2 60-70#
Beman arrows
jay73

Post by jay73 »

Anyone else have any experience with any particular breeders in the area? I'm just looking for personal recommendations if there are any out there.

Jay