difference between the two scribed lines : choosing brace ht

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kennisondan

difference between the two scribed lines : choosing brace ht

Post by kennisondan »

Hi : have not had access to a dvd player so : I do bnot know what there is about the two scribed brace height choices... what is the deal with this... mine has the sts system and at the brace height wyvern set the bow up for me, it barely compresses the two rubber pads..and is a very little bit forward of the rearmost scribed line.. shortest power stroke is the result, I would guess..
I did read how folks are setthing theirs for the longer stroke and cutting the rods of the braces at the blocks for that setting and saying the pads wear longer in that setting... what are the ins and outs of the choices ? noise would seem to be different based on the different strokes, longer stroke more noise and more power ? better wear on the pads ? is that it ? why does sts ake them that length to start with ?
thanks.
new here .. thanks in advance.
dk
life guard at the gene pool
wabi

Post by wabi »

No two bows are identical, but every bow has it's own "sweet spot" for brace height. About any recurve or longbow you buy will usually have a brace height range suggested in the literature that comes with it. The Excalibur is no exception, and those two lines indicate the suggested range. It will shoot without any problems (such as a string flying off) when braced between those lines.
But to fine tune your individual bow and find that one spot that produces the smoothest results (low noise & vibration) you would have to take the STS off and start shooting and adjusting the streng length to cover the range between those lines.
All the Excaliburs I have personally shot have seemed to like the higher brace height, or perhaps just a bit more, so yours is probably not far from optimum as it is now adjusted.
Unless you are one of those people who have to have the absolute maximum speed your bow can generate I'd shorten the string a twist or two and get it just slightly past the rear line (maximum brace height) and try it there. If it seems to shoot without too much noise & vibration keep it there and don't worry about it. :wink: :D

BTW - the velocity gained by lengthening the power stroke is minimal, and not worth the added noise & vibration, plus the extra stress on the limbs and string to gain a couple fps in my opinion.
wabi
Boo

Post by Boo »

What Wabi says is correct however, the reason for cutting the rods is so that the bumpers are supported by the ends of the rods as well as the base or opening of the bumpers. The result is a small gain in string travel which amounts to a small arrow speed gain. The intent was only to make the bumpers last longer.
I would imagine Bucks 'N Ducks made them that way so that you had options or because the higher brace height is the norm.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Wabi and Boo be on the money, however I is a no noise fast speed freek so shoot a ExoMag at 1 1/8' BH with a 417gr arrow, ComfyBear String on one and a Boo string on the other, STS, and groundpounder quiver mount, wood stock depending on which mag I'm shooting!! Fun eh!! :lol: Now if'n I could just could lift one up too shoot :shock: I would happy!! did'nt say they were light in weight.. :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
kennisondan

OK : clarification... I confuse my self sometimes...

Post by kennisondan »

well that helps a good bit .. is a slight compression of the sts pads OK ? a sixteenth or eighth of an inch ? in addition to extra support of the pads by the block.. or are you saying to leave the string a little bit off the sts pads ? It seems you are saying leaving it off by a slight amount is the reccomendation ? I am fine with that if so..
and are you saying to keep it within the two scribed lines but just less than the max brace height or a little higher than the highest scribed brace height line ? if it is just less than max brace height that is where it is now.. but compresses the sts pads just slightly... I could cut just a bit to keep it off them but cutting it for support on the blocks would make it to the other brace height scribed line ..
please clarify for me.. I apologize for not understanding.. I just want to learn as much as I can .. understanding is a thing of mine.
thanks again.
dk
Boo

Post by Boo »

You do not want to compress the rubber at all. If it is touching fine, if there is a few thou gap then fine.
Most guys seem to like the brace height a string width or two below the highest mark.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

boo just to be clear the highest line is the one closer to the trigger end of the rail i'm thinking and ken might be trying to understand....besides i'm not sure either :wink: .................bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Boo

Post by Boo »

To clarify what I did and the results here's a photo. There is not a gross drop in brace height.
[img][img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c220/ ... 2303-1.jpg[/img][/img]
Boo

Post by Boo »

bob1961 wrote:boo just to be clear the highest line is the one closer to the trigger end of the rail i'm thinking and ken might be trying to understand....besides i'm not sure either :wink: .................bob

Yes, you are correct.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Oh, I see, says the blind man, lol. You are supporting the face of the rubber bumpers besides the ends of the rods inside them! No wonder yours last so long! Thanks, Don! still, think I'll leave mine as is, really like that 1 1/8" bheight you made these 'Bumble Bee's' for.

Did that guy I've been pestering you about ever get his strings?
"Eze 18:21"
Boo

Post by Boo »

awshucks wrote:Did that guy I've been pestering you about ever get his strings?
No but it may be done this month Dan.
michiganman

string

Post by michiganman »

do you normally serve the entire aera that strikes the sts,just a question,JIM
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
Boo

Re: string

Post by Boo »

michiganman wrote:do you normally serve the entire aera that strikes the sts,just a question,JIM
I can but you add weight(25%) to the string and there does not seem to be any physical damage to the string from the bumpers.
michiganman

strings

Post by michiganman »

thanks boo

on the compound bows ,you will get string wear over time,but there also shot hundreds of times too.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

thanks all //I get it now... sometimes detail makes it harder but it is most complete and what I need to know.
dk