Surprise Buck encounter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

K-Man

Surprise Buck encounter

Post by K-Man »

Hi folks thanks for the warm welcome since I have joined the forum.

This thread from Nocturnal struck me a while back because I have also had a similar experience. It occurred in late October 2006 and two seasons later I am not sure I have it figured out yet. If any of you have insights on this I would like your input.

It was a Sunday night bowhunt-perfect evening out, saw a nice 8 point, high racked 8point right on a doe under my stand but no perfect shot so they both walked. (had taken two deer from this stand already this year-meats in the freezer). Saw some turkeys on this hunt also so at about prime time 6:30 P.M. I rationalize with myself that it has been a great hunt and I should go home and spend some quality time with the family. Get out of my stand and as I get to the ground I see two big bodied deer about 150 yards out along the field edge. So I think to myself this will be a joke they'll be all over me by the time I close in on them, but I thought I would give it a shot just for fun. I walk/stalk up the edge slowly and at about 80 yards I figure they see me for sure and so I tried a couple of grunts and the first deer comes flying in to about 50 yards, it's a beauty 8 point, and if the shot presents itself I have made up in my mind its going to happen. At this point my hearts pounding because of the response I got so quickly to the grunt call. He then stops at about 50 yards, I call a couple more times and he turns and saunters back to the other deer he is with and at this point can't quite make out how big the second buck is but was in a state of shock how fast and easy this encounter occurred. (considering the hours you usually have to put in to see a buck like this).

Now comes the part to this day I still can't quite figure out. The second buck then decides to come bombing right in 50, 40, 30, 20 yards broadside to me and I'm on him. Well physically I'm on him bow up, crosshairs on him but mentally I might as well have been at home on the couch-I shut down. This never happen to me before as I have shot some beautiful bucks over the years but not one like this. Maybe it all came together too easy. I was supposed to be on the way home.
At about twenty yards I believe he hit my scent trail from when I walked into the plowed field about 3 hours earlier. He was a monster typical 12 point, I refer to him as the chocolate buck-really dark colour and huge white patch on his neck and the short stubby legs of a mature buck in his prime. When he hit my scent trail he looked up and spun and faced me and moved closer to about 14 yards. So before this I could have shot him broadside 6 times but I went into shut down mode for the broadside shot. Now he's facing me at point blank and I have the crosshairs on his neck area bouncing all over. At this point I had made up in my mind that a buck like this is not going down with a neck shot, at least not by me. He deserved better. I actually looked away from my scope to get a good look at him because I could not believe what I was seeing through my scope. He then stomped his foot a few times and literally walked back to where he had come from with the other beauty eight point.

Never had this happen before-this was a once in a lifetime buck. As mentioned before physically I had the bow ready to go but for whatever reasons, variables that day I did not finish what I had started out to do that day at 3:00 o clock which was kill a deer, doe, buck, big buck even better. I walked away from the field shaking and shaking my head and saying to myself What the _ _ _ _ !(heck) just happened. Couldn't sleep that night. Deer like this have a real affect on the psyche. I am just grateful I could have such an experience. Never got a chance to hunt him again because the farm sold to a commercial operator that does not allow hunting. I hope he is still there. Either way I have a memory etched in my head just like he was on the wall. I can close my eyes and picture him perfectly. There will be others I hope but I will always remember the chocolate buck that "walked away".

Regards,

K-Man
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

that was great for the Buck but not for you. shutdown mode! or case of Buck fever ? maybe! how about awe & adrenlin pumping with the shakes before the shot instead of after ? anyway it shapes up it is a great memory!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

The Fever! :D That's why I have so much respect for these animals. They have a sixth sense to know when we flip the "kill switch", and maybe they can even use that sense to freeze us long enough to disapear again. Who knows???
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

You always remember stories of close encounters more than the stories of taking deer.nice to see deer win on occasion.
Nocturnal

Post by Nocturnal »

Good read K-Man,how well i can relate! That memory will last a lifetime,im sure! I think smokepole and ecoaster nailed it. Welcome to the "Monster Buck Star Struck" club!!
K-Man

Monster Buck encounter

Post by K-Man »

Nocturnal,

Yep, this one will stay with me forever as you know. I read your post early December and I was blown away at the similarities. Thanks for sharing it. By the looks of things you have to experience it to believe it. If someone told you that you would choke in the deer field with a Buck like that you would laugh it off...................until it happens to you.

Regards,

K-Man-member of the "Monster Buck Star Struck"club
Nocturnal

Post by Nocturnal »

.....until it happens to you. You said a mouthful in that phrase! I have glassed many deer with a scope and can honestly say that was the first time i have ever been star struck. I guess after so many years of looking at different ranges of deer,when that brute finally steps out,the mind and body tend to go their separate ways. True shock and awe!! Something takes place between man and beast on a spiritual level. Hard to explain!
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

I will admit to getting rattled when a couple of does popped out in the pouring rain for a split second decision ... which was postponed long enough to allow them to depart...
deer laugh funny..
dk
life guard at the gene pool
saxman

Post by saxman »

Good read.
I would say you got the fever.
I hope i always do :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV