about 575gr. two blade magnus four inch vanes GTIIs.Phoenix

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kennisondan

about 575gr. two blade magnus four inch vanes GTIIs.Phoenix

Post by kennisondan »

Okay Bowhunters : put six inches of all thread 8-32 steel in rear of aluminum inserts 125gr. magnus two-blade heads from trad days... these little things flew like darts and penetrated the blocks much more than the 424gr. arrows do... the yardages and trajectory was about what I expected and will work more on it tomorrow :
ten yards > four in. high
20 yards > dead on center
30 yards > 9 -10 inches low
35 yards > about 18 inches low..
bow was smoothe and shot great
at 45 yards > it appeared to drop about thirty inches but I had trouble to hold off high enough to be consistent the first day of shooting the phoenix. Getting ready for a big pig hunt..and want to bust through that mantle and shoulder if I hit it.. think it will do the trick ?
also do you think I should set it a little bit higher at ten yards and dead on a bit longer than 20 so that I will have less than 18 inches of drop at 35 yards..???
thanks for your suggestions.
dk
life guard at the gene pool
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

I looked on the ballistics chart and though my arrows are more than 400 gr. it looks to match the 225 fps table .. does that make any sense.??

would upping the weight to about 575 slow it down to 225 fps ? I have it at the highest brace height hash mark...
I apprecaite every response... I love my phoenix... and the magnus 2 blades are a blast from my recent past stykbow days.

thanks
dk
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

fps about 250 with 575 gr should make belivers out of any hogs you shoot
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

GOING TO SEND PIG SOULS TO HEAVEN AND BRING PORK BACK HOME... LOL
I HOPE.
DK
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

discussed trajectory and decided to try to sight dead on about 25 yards and see what 35 yards looks like ... trying to see if I can get by and get really consistent out to 35..
any opinions on if it will change the poimpact for 35 much ?
dk
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

drop from 25 to 35 would be about 8", not to bad but the rise at 10 & 15 yds for close shots will be about 6" high
Half Bubble Off BD360

michiganman

hunting

Post by michiganman »

what size pigs you hunting.must be some big hogs.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i spect he would shoot whatever size comes his way. i have saw some Boars with very thick shoulder girdle over the years. some hogs get good sized
Half Bubble Off BD360

michiganman

exocet

Post by michiganman »

hoping if the snow ever melts to see what the exocet shoots.we still got 2 ft on the ground.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
wabi

Post by wabi »

With the Phoenix you will be loosing a lot of velocity with that heavy an arrow. If it were me I'd go with a 2216 arrow and a heavy (150 gr) broadhead. Still good weight, but still a fairly flat trajectory, too.
A heavy arrow isn't much good if you can't out it right where it needs to go, and if you're off by a few yards in range estimation it's going to be difficult to hit where you want to. The KE difference is only going to be very slightly less with a lighter arrow.
wabi
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

first : the hogs are pretty big at times... feral hogs in south tx. ..
second : I sure will shoot whatever comes by.. trophy or bar b que pigs . they all will be in trouble...
the yardage will be short from blind to clearing.. 25 max and 18 likely it... I can drill it at those distances and down to ten ... no problem...
I am still fiddling with it.. and it is not a big deal to continue to tweak it dropping the weight a bit each time... right now they are as heavy as I would ever shoot and more probably.. I just want to be sure that bone and shoulder gristle on a big one will not be a problem ... the accuracy is tremendous... penetration too...
am working with my range finder to get set up right once on stand... I agree that yardage estimation will be critical with any bow but more so with a slow heavy arrow like shooting now... may compare the lighter arrows ... got time and I think it is fun to do... not through with this set up yet though..
thanks.... your input is appreciated... I am sure that the arrows are a bit on the heavy side for even a large hog hit in the shoulder...but I do want to be sure... it is my dream to roll one up with just that kind of hit... sort of like the pistols I like to shoot heavy slow and crushing blow on impact... shooting for the shoulders anchors the animal right there...I just love it..
thanks again. '
dk