Product reviews.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Apple_Orchard

Post by Apple_Orchard »

The finest undergarments money can buy!! I have several sets of the 200 g/m2, a set of the 400 g/m2 and several pairs of their wool socks.

http://www.woolpower.se/en/default.asp
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

VIDEOCAMS I bought the bushnell videoscope thinking how cool it would be to veiw my hunt(s). I took a buck oct 4 and had it rolling. It did a good job. I was able to replay it in my stand to see where my shot placement was. ( too far back ). based on this I waited in my stand longer than usual to track. I found him. I had a luminok on the end of the bolt. It looked like lightning had struck! Now that the weather has turned cooler I find that it does not like to turn on. It takes a couple of trys. It also does not have a zoom setting, but thats not a problem if you have it mounted on a bow. I dont think anyone would want to mount it on a rifle for this reason. I also find it difficult to hit the record button on the top if you have a deer @ 20 yards!! It has a good picture on the built in screen, but downloading to the computer is a pain in the azz. It also requires lots of light to be able to record. Forget about the dawn and dusk picture taking. But thats ok because we all know deer dont show up at those times right? :) I would likely tell someone who was interested in this type of thing to wait a year or two so that bushnell hopefully improves this item. I think so far that the best option to record your hunts might be to buy a small handheld videocam and buy a mount to go on your bow, or to mount it to your tree. I think I spent about 250.00 canadian on this item. Its going back.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Knight & Hale Soft Grunt tube:My favourite grunt tube. The small design allows it to fit in the mitt portion of a glove-mitt. Right at your finger tips when you need it. I think the sound it creates is less intimidating than the buck grunt tubes. It's quiet!!! I've taken two bucks as a direct result of using this call.

Remington 6 in 1 Parka:Disappointed but use it. :? This product consists of an outer waterproof shell, and an inner insulated bomber style jacket that is reversible and can be converted to a vest. Well it is not waterproof!! The fabric on the outer shell is quiet when rubbed against itself but lean up against a tree and then pull away from the bark and it's like tearing velcro apart. I use the inner bomber jacket for colder weather hunts but wear fleece or a rain jacket over top.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Back to the front
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
mikej

Post by mikej »

chris4570 wrote:

Remington 6 in 1 Parka:Disappointed but use it. :? This product consists of an outer waterproof shell, and an inner insulated bomber style jacket that is reversible and can be converted to a vest. Well it is not waterproof!! The fabric on the outer shell is quiet when rubbed against itself but lean up against a tree and then pull away from the bark and it's like tearing velcro apart. I use the inner bomber jacket for colder weather hunts but wear fleece or a rain jacket over top.

i have had the same experiance with that jacket plus my zipper wore out after one season
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

I had the same problem with the Artic Sheild jacket. You can not lean against a tree the noice it makes when pulling away is like velco but only alot louder than the noice my crossbow makes when fired!
Rugged and warn thought if you layer up.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

My Excalibur Exocet, can't say enought about it.
Tough as nails more accurate then I will ever be.
Made in Canada, got to like that.
Great customer service.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
just a feed boy

Post by just a feed boy »

My favorite gear i could not hunt with out is my Sporthill 3sp expidition camo pant,jacket, gloves, and hat. They are warm down to 25 degrees f with nothing on, add good long johns and I'm good to 0 degrees f. They whole set weight s next to nothing, compresses into a shoe box, dry out quick when you get wet, and is wind proof to 35 mph.

Thorlos socks I own no others now

Helly Hansen Impertch rain gear you can be in a hurricane for weeks and still be dry and reasonably quiet
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

2 items you don't want! Bass Pro Bonedry rubber insulated boots. i wore mine about 70 times and they developed holes where they flex at ball of foot. so 2 holes on each side wasted $70. next i bought Cabela's revolution insulated jacket dryplus with scentlock. the zipper tab didn't make it the 1st year. i tote it in my pocket. next thing forget water proof 2 hrs in the rain and your soaked next the scentlock when its below freezing sounds like corn flakes when you move any part of body. head arms twist in stand to look or move for your shot. got busted half dz times. $175 wasted. i will go back to fleece and wool clothing & camo don't make no diff. anything in grey or tan or brown or dull green all work well.
Last edited by vixenmaster on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Pydpiper wrote:
Oh! Now I remember.. Mitchum non-scented deodorant from Wall Mart, not made for hunters but works far better than any other hunting formula I have tried, I use it daily now. Has absolutely no smell.
be very careful Pydpiper they say you cant smell your own stink. :shock:
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
PaBowhunter

Post by PaBowhunter »

I have a set of Rivers West Pants and Coat and they are GREAT Rain Gear and also good for cold and windy weather as well.

I bought a pair of the Scent Blocker Dream Season Boots and they are very light and comfortable but dont wear them if you like dry feet because they are sooooo far from being water proof.
Sopchoppy

Keeping warm

Post by Sopchoppy »

As for keeping warm, I tried some Natural Gear Fleece. Have the pants and 1/2 zip pullover. This is the warmest stuff this side of Raven Wear. I bought a size larger than normal and wear it over my regular camo. If it get's too warm, it can come off and roll up with a bungee cord. Recommended!!
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

ttt I had to bring this back up since we gained so many new members here recently. I love the idea of this thread.

I still have problems with the videoscope. I sent it to bushnell canada for repairs, and they have told me that it will take 6-8 weeks to get my claim in their computer! let alone repaired! :evil:

Excalibur has spoiled me I suppose:lol: Ive never been treated better by a large company before.
bucont

Post by bucont »

Brunton rangfinder, I purchased one last Feb 2009. Used for the turkey season and twice for this whitetail season and it is no longer working. Replaced the $18 battery and still will not power on. It is on it's way back to the manufacturer. I guess we will see how they handle this as it has a life time warranty.
Axiom SMF
Munch mount
MeadowBrooke Game Calls
LCCA
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I added a pair of Muck boots to my arsenal this year, not too keen on the neoprene uppers but as far as scent is concerned these sit in a place dedicated to hunting clothes and never come close to anything that may transfer odor.
As far as the boots go, they are very warm and excessivly comfortable! It is like wandering in the woods in your favorite pair of shoes, only waterproof to the top. Too soon to comment on longetivity, but they feel so good I would buy a pair each year if I had too, footwear is pretty darn important.
They are the ones sticking out.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string