Fletching bolts...........

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

globemountain

Fletching bolts...........

Post by globemountain »

What type of equipment do you use to fletch your bolts? I have several Arizona EZ Fletch's that I use for arrows for my compound bow. I am not sure how to deal with the flat nock on the crossbow bolts. Any advice?....
Normous

Post by Normous »

I have been using the Arizona since 1992 to fletch my crossbow arrows. I insert a 1/3" length of pencil into the bottom of the AZ to position the fletching back further slightly.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

bitzenburger jig here;)
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Glue a old feild point into a nock from a wooded arrow or use a 8-32 screw.
Screw it in the nock from your bolt.
You can buy that already made at a pro shop also.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Here is the store bought one.

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use an Arizona E-Z Fletch for all my arrows - compound, traditional, and crossbow!

For the crossbow, just open the arms of the fletcher - place the vanes (or feathers) in the slots and apply the adhesive - place the prepped shaft in the tool and close the arms and secure them! No need to worry about feather/flat nock orientation for the arrows for the Excalibur, and the depth the arrow goes in the fletcher will work just fine.

BTW-I prefer to call them arrows since I contend crossbow hunters are just like any other bow hunters. The crossbow is just another method of launching ARROWS!
wabi
globemountain

Post by globemountain »

wabi wrote:BTW-I prefer to call them arrows since I contend crossbow hunters are just like any other bow hunters. The crossbow is just another method of launching ARROWS!
O.K. I stand corrected. I'll call them arrows too. I agree with that also.
globemountain

Post by globemountain »

BY THE WAY....what glue are you using to fletch crossbow arrows?
wabi

Post by wabi »

globemountain wrote:
wabi wrote:BTW-I prefer to call them arrows since I contend crossbow hunters are just like any other bow hunters. The crossbow is just another method of launching ARROWS!
O.K. I stand corrected. I'll call them arrows too. I agree with that also.
Glad you agree! :D
I like to debunk the argument anti-crossbow people often use in that we don't even shoot arrows! :wink:

globemountain wrote:BY THE WAY....what glue are you using to fletch crossbow arrows?
It depends on the type shaft being used and the method of prepping it. I usually crest dip my arrows in lacquer, so I use the old fletch-lac cement.
If you use bare shafts, or wraps many of the newer quick-set glues will probably be fine.
wabi
VA Bigbore

Post by VA Bigbore »

globemountain wrote:BY THE WAY....what glue are you using to fletch crossbow arrows?
I use Bohning "Fletch-Tite" for arrows out of both launching platforms.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

goat tuff glue works wonders.... you cant pry the stuff off at all 8)
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

super glue
"DON'T BE SCARED JUST GET A BOO"
PREMIUM CROSSBOW STRINGS
Bohning Blazer Vanes Rock
njxbow

Post by njxbow »

i recently tried using the nap quick fletch system with quickspin vanes on laser 2 shafts with brass inserts and aluminum nocks. i got the idea from saxman on this board. to fletch an arrow could not be easier, alot easier than my jig. if you can dunk an arrow in hot water, you can do it. i also like the idea that the nap brand has a patented glue in their wrap to prevent it from sliding on the bolt. i haven't shot them to see how they hold up but i was informed that they're ok. the key i think is the cost of the fletchings and the durability. the fletchings can be pretty expensive if you don't shop around. i found a local dealer here in NJ that sells them for about 30.00 a dozen. i bought laser 2 shafts from bowhunters super store for about 45 a dozen for a total cost of @ 75 per dozen. i like the idea of doing my own shafts but if this doesn't work out i wouldn't hesitate to use one of the fine custom bolts i see on this board for sale.