The moderators run the forum!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Re: The moderators run the forum!!!

Post by Boo »

bstout wrote:We as forum members don't have any say who can post what pictures, topics or what should be PM'ed. That is up to the moderators discretion and not ordinary forum members.

This is the Excalibur archery forum, the best archery forum on the internet!
This is a rather cryptic message.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The moderators see to it that the content of the forum is viewable to the general public, the same targeted market as the bows.
We have it good here, we manage to keep our self under check to the point we don't need to be moderated. At some point feelings will be hurt, words will be spoken but in the end it is up to us to keep the content of this forum in the same nature it was intended. We have it good here, we don't get ruled by moderators, they trust in us to do what is best and allow us the freedom to self correct.
This forum is growing, new faces means new opinions, with a majority of men on the board it is only logical that there will be conflict. We as members manage to keep this all in line, the day that this forum needs consistent moderation is the day it becomes a regular old forum.
We moderate this board, we are the reason it is here, we are the reason it continues to flow day after day. Growth involves change, change involves adaptation. We grow with it or we have Peter take the time to step in, I think we are a long ways away from that point. It exists because we exist.
This is our forum, Excalibur just pays the Bill, no pun intended. :D
Last edited by Pydpiper on Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
terrym

Post by terrym »

In my admittedly limited time here I have seen no problems with how this site is moderated. Some one has to keep an eye on things to keep it civil, there are ladies and children who log in here.
mikej

Post by mikej »

i would like to add if any of my posts or opinions or avitars offends anyone please pm me and i will fix it right away
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

bstout wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:we manage to keep our self under check to the point we don't need to be moderated.
I've seen the forum get moderated (by the moderators) from time to time.

That's a good thing!
No psychic here or anything, but I have my suspicions it is coming again soon.
I still maintain we do a good job at keeping the peace. We have been guided in the past, bot not moderated.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Big John

n

Post by Big John »

Bob:

I agree, it is the best Archery Forum there is. We are Family. It is this reason that some come here, to disrupt the fine balance, and have it the same as others they are on. Some like doing it. They are behind a computer never to be seen. Say what they wish, and not be responsible.
However, there is a lot of us on here who Hunt together and meet each other and know what is behind the people. We can also discuss the ones in question, and learn to avoid them. This is also what PM's are for. If enough people get bad PM's from the same one's, then something needs to be done. That is what the Mod's do. We need them. That is the way to keep the Forum at peace.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Gents and ladies,

As an adminstrator of a hunting forum I very well know that some things are out of the hands of the members. Oh, there can be peer pressure and that most times works.

HOWEVER - There are hard core arguers who's only goal on the forum is to stir up c rap. They absolutley delite in getting to people and whizzing them off. Those can not be handled by members. That is when the moderator or adminstrator must step in and smack hands or kick them off. That is the ONLY way to get their attention.

As busy as Peter is (and after PA and Michigan came in he will be busier than ever) he does not have time to read each and every post on here. I'm sure that he does not have access to any PMs. The only way that he will most often get involved is when someone complains.

It is our duty as members here to report posts and PMs that are out of line to Peter, then it is his call how to handle it...
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Hit the nail right on the head Woody!
huntman

Post by huntman »

You guys are bang on, the mods do run the forum and have authority over everything. But this is a public forum and people will do and say things that offend others. Its a simple thing of human nature.
TPM

Post by TPM »

The moderators run the forum, period.
I always thought moderators moderate the forum, hence the title "Moderator". :? :wink:
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

TPM wrote:
The moderators run the forum, period.
I always thought moderators moderate the forum, hence the title "Moderator". :? :wink:
They do ... and ours does a nice job of it, as I said in another thread:
Grizzly Adam wrote:
Excalibur Marketing Dude wrote:Hi All,

I have noticed lately that a bunch of members have avatars that are not really appropriate. I won't describe the avatars as I think you guys know who you are, but lets just say they are of a "sexual" nature.

Some people have thier kids viewing this forum so I think we should keep the avatars a bit on the clean side.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Peter
Peter, I must say that you are a model moderator!

Very well done, brother ... and I hope those whose response you seek will respond with the sort of civility, good nature, and concern for the whole group that you've exhibited yourself.

As always, I'm proud to be a member of a forum like this! :D
I really mean it! :D

Peter, you have both our respect and our compliance.

Moderate at will, brother. 8)
Grizz
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Peters ass is probably getting chapped from all the kiss marks. :roll:
His job is Excalibur crossbow sales and marketing, not babysitting.
Period.
WMU 91
Boo string
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Pydpiper wrote:Peters ass is probably getting chapped from all the kiss marks. :roll:
Period.
I like to think of it more as a peace officer.. ;)
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Pydpiper wrote:Peters ass is probably getting chapped from all the kiss marks.
C'mon, Pyd! I don't think there's any butt-kissing going on here. :?

One thing you can count on from me: I mean exactly what I say, and I meant to say that I think Peter's style of moderation is very suitable to a forum like ours ... easy-going and non-authoritarian, but concerned with keeping us smoothly keeping ourselves in line.

He's never bossed us around. He's never baby-sat for us. There's no need to. He only steps in when there is a demonstrated preference that he needs to ... and I think that's the way it should be.

There's nothing wrong with my saying so.

If I pay a compliment, I do it out of respect.

Respect is what's kept this forum so civil for so long.

I've been part of forums with heavy-handed, control-freak moderators before, and I appreciate the fact that Peter isn't that way.

OK? :)
Grizz
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Woody Williams wrote:
Pydpiper wrote:Peters ass is probably getting chapped from all the kiss marks. :roll:
Period.
I like to think of it more as a peace officer.. ;)
Fair enough, but I bet he didn't sign up to look after us and our micro politics. What is important is that the forum provides a warm welcome and endless answers to the various questions that have been asked over the years by new and current Excalibur owners.
We have that under control, but at times there is a need for intervention, it is an inevitable part of life.
We can only hope Peter is too busy selling bows to worry about us, we all know in a day or two it will all be back to normal around here, the drama will pass to the page before, and the thoughts of turkeys will prevail!
WMU 91
Boo string