Trophy Hunter vs Meat Hunter

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Canabow

Post by Canabow »

10 to 12 doe...I wish. Last year I was allowed 2 Bucks (1 mule 1 whitetail) and for the first time in a long time 2 does again 1 of each species. The doe use to be limited entry draws this year there was an 10 day open season on them Nov 10 to 20 and that was restricted to private land or crown land within 2000 metres of private land. I normally go moose hunting and if I happen upon a deer so much the better. I have passed up on smaller bucks but most of the time I take whatever legal buck gets in my way unless I have taken a moose already then I don't have as much need for meat and will hold out for a bigger deer. I think every hunter should do what he/she feels as long as it is legal. I've hunted with both and continue to do so.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Canabow wrote:10 to 12 doe...I wish. Last year I was allowed 2 Bucks (1 mule 1 whitetail) and for the first time in a long time 2 does again 1 of each species. The doe use to be limited entry draws this year there was an 10 day open season on them Nov 10 to 20 and that was restricted to private land or crown land within 2000 metres of private land. I normally go moose hunting and if I happen upon a deer so much the better. I have passed up on smaller bucks but most of the time I take whatever legal buck gets in my way unless I have taken a moose already then I don't have as much need for meat and will hold out for a bigger deer. I think every hunter should do what he/she feels as long as it is legal. I've hunted with both and continue to do so.
i just love the Va limits here..

you can kill up to 3 bucks and bascially unlimited doe, but you have to either by bonus tags or hunt under a DMAP program. We also get DCAP tags for crop damage to help control population in the fields. The issue here is that the buck to doe ratio is so screwed since club after club takes spike after spike but they let the doe walk. Which doesnt make sense. Then they complain about not having big bucks to shoot. Go figure :D

I dont have a issue with people shooting small bucks.. its those that would rather take a spike when its a doe standing 15 yards away also :P The doe's gonna taste far better :D yum yum :lol:
mikej

Post by mikej »

i am a meat hunter that tries to hold out as long as i can for that trophy buck :lol:
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Hey CF from what i understand no dcap or any other tags this year just buy bonus tags Does will be in from day one. another way to make a dollar for the S T I'am going to miss those tags :(

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Plenty of deer to take (legally) here, too! :D

I hit six with my truck last year! :shock:

Actually, they all ran into me ... Kamikaze deer! :P
Grizz
MNDeerHunter

Post by MNDeerHunter »

I guess everyone has their own standards for what they will shoot or not shoot. The main thing I fell is that you take pride in what you get and enjoy the thrill of the hunt. it don't get any better than that.
Life goes by quick - so don't think about going hunting - get out there and DO IT!
Vortex
Lumizone
Customized Firebolts
Boo String
STS