mikej

Post by mikej »

good post wabi
huntman

Post by huntman »

very well said!
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michiganman

heads

Post by michiganman »

i agree with you 100% that a well placed arrow- bolt will do the job ,regardless of the head.
Now here were i also venture out on my own,along with the 4 other members of the family.when that double lung hit dosent happen for what ever reason,then i want a larger head doing as much cutting as i can handle out of my bow-crossbow.

again im using broadhead d also,so as wabi said its the head that works,and shoots best for you.my D head just happens to be a Rocket.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
wabi

Post by wabi »

fuzzy wrote:I still want to know what brand D is :( Pictures maybe? :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Actually the broadhead I used this year (brand D) was a 100 grain Wac'Em Exit (4 blade). They are very accurate out of my Phoenix on a 2215 shaft fletched with 2" Blazer vanes at 4° offset. I have also had great accuracy from G-5 Montecs and Wasp JakHammers, but I had a JakHammer fail to open on a deer so I got rid of them, and I didn't feel like sharpening the Montecs this year. :lol:
The Wac'Em is very similar to the SlickTricks in cut, but they are more accurate (like right on with field points) out of my Phoenix.
wabi
Stash

Post by Stash »

Welcome to my world...

Not a day goes by at the store without any number of variations on "I just got a new bow/crossbow...what broadhead to you recommend?"

I really, really just want to point to the display we have of about 120 broadheads and say "whichever one of those that hits where you aim it", but the customers always seem to want a more detailed explanation...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
diesel

Post by diesel »

Wabi if you keep posting like that there will not be any post for us to read. :lol: :lol:
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Good post Wabi. Last season I killed deer with two different brands of heads. The season before that I killed deer with three different brands. All of them worked great when I put them on target.

There are a few lemons out there, mostly cheaper heads. But for the most part just about any head on the market today will get the job done if you put in on target.

DuckHunt
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

like my friend DuckHunt, i also took 3 deer with 3 diff BH's this year. everyone of them worked as they were suppose to. i received no complaints from any of those deer ! used slick-steelhead-boltcutter
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

You can't replace old school

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

its really hard to call a good BH junk that has been on the market for years. just like bstout has done he put his tuneup on them & shaboom they work fine. some times a person has to look at their set-up and ck to see if their arrow is under spined. going lite isn't always right. its working with your set-up matching it to the power of Bow.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bstout wrote:Most problems are people and not equipment.
I think bstout is right. People are under the impression that you can take the broadhead out of the box, throw it on the arrow and shoot away. That just isn't the case, especially with the large fixed blades. Tuning is required.

The mechanicals come close, but, they too need to be spin tested.

The thicker blades on the fixed are best. I've had the thinner blades to bend while tuning and go from hitting bullseye to dirt from one shot to the next. I couldn't even see the bend . . .had to replace the blades to fix it and I was shooting into a foam target.

Yet another difference in broadheads . . .some are easier to tune. And once tuned, some stay tuned better than others.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kennisondan

Post by kennisondan »

I was happy with the three I tried : montec 125, magnus 125, and steel force partial serrated 125...
suprised me the montec and steel force worked from my compound xbow.. no surprise at all the magnus two blades worked quite well, though.
dk
life guard at the gene pool