Which scope do you use and why?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rich

Post by Rich »

I had an issue with my Lumizone's reticles rotating on me, I was told this was a common problem when they were first marketed and has since been fixed. My other thoughts on the Lumizone:

Pros: Very clear, larger objective lens and I liked the lighted recticles.

Cons: Large, bulky and very heavy.

I switched back to the Varizone, although the my Varizone does get tough to see the recticles in heavy timber during the last few minutes of legal hunting hours.

Rich
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Have had several of both. Vari-zone for me, although I lucked into a Leupold VX II 2x by 7x that Danny had converted to xbow reticules. It's more suited to target work than hunting, but I don't take late day/eve shots.

The Vari-zone amazes me to this day. 1st scope I ever bought that did exactly what the ads claimed.
"Eze 18:21"
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I agree with Boo's accessment. Except, I can see a difference in the light gathering . . .it's a bit better on the lumizone.

The varizone is a good scope and I don't have much trouble seeing in low light . . .when I can't see the recticle, it's usually past legal hunting anyway. I rarely use the lighted recticle on the lumizone . . .when I do it's usually just goofing around. I have found it helps more in the daylight/shady conditions and on a low setting. The brighter settings at night do nothing to "light up" your target. :cry:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

I use the Varizone as it was in the package I bought. It is not as bright as some of my other hunting scopes but then it does not cost anywhere near thier price either.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
MNDeerHunter

Post by MNDeerHunter »

I bought the Lumizone with my Vortex last year and did not have any problems with it. I did notice one thing that you need to use the lower setting on the light. If you have it turned up to highest setting of10 in very low light it tends to over power your view from the brightness of the cross hairs. If you keep it on the lower settings say 5 or lower it works very well.
Life goes by quick - so don't think about going hunting - get out there and DO IT!
Vortex
Lumizone
Customized Firebolts
Boo String
STS
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Love my Varizone! Even in the woods it gives me plenty of light before & past legal shooting hours. I have to keep an eye on my watch to know when to pack it in.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Out of respect for the brand, my Excals both wear LumiZones. Great scope...but bulky.
My 'off brand' bow (Parker Cyclone) just got a Hawke MAP. About half the size of a Lumi.... and half the price. Compliments that bow well. Has ranging function in the reticule but does not compensate for bow speed...straight 3 power.
Not dissin' Lumis but one has to be receptive to new gear as it develops. Hopefully they will take a gander at this scope. (one version has lighted circle reticule but costs more than Lumi).
I shoot scopes exclusively on some 2 dozen hunting handguns, rifles, air rifles and even my Mzldr, to compensate for my aged eyes. I try to match the scope to it's intended purpose and what it's on. Big scopes on a svelte rifle or hangun is a definite no no IMO. Most rifle scopes don't work for crossbow well because their parallax is set to 100 yards or, if adjustable, usually not to 20 yards. Pistol scopes don't work because of the long focus distance. Some airgun scopes work very well since most have parallax set under 50 yards and those that adjust do so down to 5 yards. However the good ones don't offer anything over Lumis (higher magnification excepted) and they generally cost much more.
BigBwanaD

Post by BigBwanaD »

Thanks for the feedback. I did see how clear both the Lumizone and Varizone looked at very close distances when I was "scoping" them out. Does the distance ring change the POI or the parallex for focus. I think I really like that ability to tune the scope. I'll be watching the Trading Post and Ebay for a deal.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i have owned both & they are very good for hunting & 3-D shooting. i traded my lumi for another vari. reasons vari is lighter & shorter & i never used the Illumination feature.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wolv1001

Post by wolv1001 »

Anybody shooting a red dot?
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

I went thru 2 lumizons and went to a varizone,,, after 2 shots both lumi's the cross hairs twited internaly in the scope...
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Does the distance ring change the POI or the parallex for focus.
Actually, the "distance ring" only changed the magnification of the scope, not the parallax. A faster arrow has a lower trajectory, therefore, it drops less at any given distance than a much slower one. Turning the ring to a higher number magnifies the reticule and thereby decreases the spacing between aim point. That in turn corresponds closer to where the arrow hits. But it's unlikely that your arrow will hit perfectly at 20,30, 40 etc. Some 'fudge factoring' will still be necessary at one or more of the distance. But then that's usually the case when hunting too, since deer don't stand at precise distance either.
dutchhunter

scopes

Post by dutchhunter »

i have had both and never had a problem with ether of them .i am now trying a red dot for turkeys this spring DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I have a red dot on the Exocet and lumizone on my Max
The best things in life are not things!!
M&M

Post by M&M »

I am currently on my third varizone on my exocet in 3 seasons! the first one fogged up real bad internally and my dealer replaced it and I hunted that season and the next and then when I shot my bow getting ready for this season it would not hold zero so I bought another one because I do like the way it functions but if this one goes south like the others I wont be buying another one I would like to know who makes the scopes for excalibur and by the way non of these scopes where abused in any way M&M