New Guy to Crossbow Hunting!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dutchhunter

hello

Post by dutchhunter »

welcome i have had all the bow xcal makes and love them all i would recomend a 200lb bow and a longer stocked bow for your size .for manyyears we killed deer and moose with 150lb bow and never felt under guned .that said i now shot an equinox and love it ,a 200lb bow the xocet or vortex will make you a great bow for deer and turkeys bear .thy are a fast bow and can be cocked by hand if need be the 225lb bows are a bit much to do by hand and i am 6 foot 1 and 245lb .anyway thy are all great bows and you will have a love afair that will last a long time DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
subneural

Post by subneural »

Welcome aboard! This forum is a FANTASTIC resource for all things xbow and hunting related. Not to mention it's fueled by great members, many of whom I've had the pleasure of meeting in person. Enjoy!
Boo-strung, GroundPounded and Varizoned Phoenix, sold.
PSE Brute X pushing Easton Flatlines topped with Rage 3-blades.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

PABOWDUDE60 wrote: I am 6'3" tall and weigh 235 so I don't think I'll have a problem cocking the higher pound models.
It really needs to be said that you if you're tall enough and you employ the right technique, you can accomplish most of the cocking movement using your quadriceps ... and for a grown man of good strength, the big muscles of the thighs can easily get it done.

Proper form is key, I believe. I squat 90% of the movement and shrug the rest ... without difficulty, over and over.

Remember that everything is relative. Weaker bows being cocked by weaker people amounts to the same thing. If your strength is equal to the task, what's thought to be "heavy" might not be heavy to you.

And, it isn't bad to perform muscular movements that require significant effort. Weight-bearing exercise is beneficial in every way, if injuries are not a problem. So, if you're strong enough that the heavy bows aren't a problem, don't worry about it. Cocking them repeatedly will only make you stronger, and that's a good thing. Many folks aren't as stout as they should be.

Just don't hurt yourself! Use your head, and you'll be fine.

I shoot an Exomax ... and I shoot it as much as I like without problem. I do think it's unpleasant to cock without the rope aid ... but not because of the draw weight. It's too hard on your fingers. I believe it would cause damage eventually (and this is true of the lighter models too) ... so use the aid. With it, the heavy bows aren't really that heavy.

I like the heavy bow because I like to shoot heavy arrows at good speed. There are good reasons for this here where I hunt.

Just take your time, review your reasons for buying a bow, and make your choice. You can't go wrong. If you decide you want a different one, they're easy to sell ... or you can start a collection! :D
Grizz
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome friend :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
cdup

Post by cdup »

Welcome to the forum :D , you will not go wrong with any of the excal. models , congrats, and good luck! 8)
Respect everyone, but fear no one
xbow kenny

Post by xbow kenny »

Welcome to the forum, my favorite excal is the Vortex, i like it's size and performance.
I own P&R archery and sport. i sell excalibur crossbows and more. i also make custom strings and arrows. Relayer Y25 #559 Kenny custom string
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

If you are going to cock it with your hands and not a cocking aid MAKE SURE you pull back evenly if you pull one side more then the other your shot will be off!!!
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

Welcome to the forums.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

welcome to the forum, being as tall as you are and muscled well, the equinox & exomag stocks maybe comfortable. the exocet & vortex are an inch shorter and 200 lb. which is also nice. the big ones do put hard use on the string servings, compared to the lighter lb models
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
PABOWDUDE60

Post by PABOWDUDE60 »

If I get the equinox or exomax. What size bolts should I use? How about one of Boo's strings also? I was just at the shop again today. I really like that Equinox!! Should I use carbon or aluminum bolts?
Boo

Post by Boo »

PABOWDUDE60 wrote:If I get the equinox or exomax. What size bolts should I use? How about one of Boo's strings also? I was just at the shop again today. I really like that Equinox!! Should I use carbon or aluminum bolts?
Stick to the string that comes with the bow until you are sure you will not dry-fire the sucker! That is why the bow comes with that string. It is somewhat forgiving where all other strings are not.
Carbon or Aluminum are personal choices. Aluminum shafts are noisier, cheaper and heavier than carbons.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

as Boo said about the arrows its a personal thing. they both do the job very well. i use both but most of my friends think i am half a bubble off depending which way i am standing on the hill while making my shot!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315