Newbie Question about Brace Height

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MidTnHunter

Newbie Question about Brace Height

Post by MidTnHunter »

Checked brace height on my Equinox to see if string was between the lines. The string is setting on top of line closest to trigger. I bought this bow late Nov. probably hasn't been shot 30 times. I tried to adjust string by adding and removing twist to see if this would adjust the placement with no luck. :?:
Equinox with S5
SpitFires 100 gr with brass inserts
Leupold Crossbones Scope
ACF Member - 2009
Normous

Post by Normous »

It will settle lower after some more shooting, so get shooting :lol:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
BUS314

yep

Post by BUS314 »

+1 What he said :)
cdup

Post by cdup »

And then just a little more of it!!! :lol:
Respect everyone, but fear no one
mikej

Post by mikej »

shoot, shoot , shoot and the shoot some more it will stretch :lol: :lol:
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

and then it should be good you want to keep it by the line closest to trigger.
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Defective string! Yup, a string that can't go where you need it to right out of the box is defective. Shoot it, and work the creep out of it, but it should be able to go where you want it to, when you want it to by twisting and untwisting it. Those two lines are optimum, the bow was designed to run the string between those lines. If it doesn't fit there is something wrong. Also, do not untwist the string entirely, it should always have a bit of a twist.

A good average brace height is one and one eighth of an inch, it is a perfect compromise of speed and noise. Here is a visual:

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Pydpiper wrote:Defective string! Yup, a string that can't go where you need it to right out of the box is defective. Shoot it, and work the creep out of it, but it should be able to go where you want it to, when you want it to by twisting and untwisting it. Those two lines are optimum, the bow was designed to run the string between those lines. If it doesn't fit there is something wrong. Also, do not untwist the string entirely, it should always have a bit of a twist.

A good average brace height is one and one eighth of an inch, it is a perfect compromise of speed and noise. Here is a visual:

Good answer and pic pydpiper!
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Good advice! You're on your way, MidTn'! :D
Grizz
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I disagree that the strings that need to be stretched in are defective. They are just fine once they break in.

I know Don makes his to your bheight preference. The factory strings are mass machine produced.

The reason I'm making this post is it seems like the endless loop dacron supplied w/ bows wants to start out a little on the high side.

The new folks reading these posts are going to think they need to exchange their strings if we go the defective route when they aren't really.

I know when I was shooting factory FFF, they were a pain in the butt stretching and needing adj constantly to maintain bheight. They weren't defective either, just the nature of the beast. When I was using them, I put the new ones on 3/8" above the high line and would leave the bow cocked over night to speed the stretching process.

Just my 2 cents worth.
"Eze 18:21"
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

defective.. :D He said it has been on the bow 4 months. My factory Dacron could be put on at any brace height. I would have been pretty upset if I had to keep setting up my bow every time the string decided to creep, it is just my opinion, but I think the thing should be able to be put where you want it.
Another way to speed up the process without shooting it is to cock it and leave it cocked, if of course you have a safe spot to do it. There is no substitute for shooting the string in to submission, but there are alternatives. At 4 months, I would throw in the towel.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Pydpiper wrote: At 4 months, I would throw in the towel.
Quitter. :P :wink:
Grizz
Normous

Post by Normous »

Remember, it was 4 months old but only 30 shots. A new string with few shots will hardly stretch no matter how old it is. If it was a year old with 30 shots it would still appear the same.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I bought this bow late November andit probably hasn't been shot 30 times
To shoot or not to shoot, that is the question, lol. :twisted:
"Eze 18:21"
BUS314

DITTO

Post by BUS314 »

awshucks wrote:I disagree that the strings that need to be stretched in are defective. They are just fine once they break in.

I know Don makes his to your bheight preference. The factory strings are mass machine produced.

The reason I'm making this post is it seems like the endless loop dacron supplied w/ bows wants to start out a little on the high side.

The new folks reading these posts are going to think they need to exchange their strings if we go the defective route when they aren't really.

I know when I was shooting factory FFF, they were a pain in the butt stretching and needing adj constantly to maintain bheight. They weren't defective either, just the nature of the beast. When I was using them, I put the new ones on 3/8" above the high line and would leave the bow cocked over night to speed the stretching process.

Just my 2 cents worth.
I agree---mine was over the mark new---shot a few times & it was below it, twisted it , shot more & it was down again---had to keep that up till it stopped stretching much