Removing inserts from fire bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

todd

Removing inserts from fire bolts

Post by todd »

What kind of glue is used for Excalibur fire bolts, aka Eason G2? Can you get it out with heat? I want to change my inserts to brass. I know some of the glues even if not a heat type glue will break down with heat. I have also had some luck knocking them out with a drill bit whipped down the shaft in arrows, but figure with bolts the nock insert is in with the same stuff.
dutchhunter

indserts

Post by dutchhunter »

i have a t handel arrow puller and i can screw it in to the one i want to remove and with some gentel twisting and pulling thy will normaly pop loose DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

It the t handle don't work, partially screw in a old field tip and heat it with a heat gun (try Lo setting first) keep checking by lightly tugging/turning with a pliers. Don't overheat. It's usually ready to come out when you see a wisp of steam (smoke?) or liquid coming out from behind the insert. You'll need Easton specific inserts, by the way.
Grizzly Adam

Re: indserts

Post by Grizzly Adam »

dutchhunter wrote:i have a t handel arrow puller and i can screw it in to the one i want to remove and with some gentel twisting and pulling thy will normaly pop loose DUTCH
I was going to say that if complaints are accurate, one of the best ways to get an insert out of an arrow is to shoot the arrow into a stiff target and attempt to get it out with a T-handle arrow puller! :P :lol: :wink:
Grizz
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

todd,
I did this exact thing about a month ago. Someone recommended to me to dip the tip in boiling water for about a minute. I did, but it still wasn't easy to remove. I did manage to get them out using that method with a field tip and a pair of pliers. It was quite a pain to get the remaining glue out of the shaft afterwards. I found a drill bit of just the right size and used it (by hand) to clean the excess glue out the shaft to make enough room for the brass inserts.

As for the brass, its a LOT heavier than I expected. The end results are arrows that weight around 455 grains with a 100 grain tip. On the good side, they shoot quieter and are quite accurate with every fixed broadhead I've tried.

My brass tipped arrows will likely be sitting on the shelf during hunting season unless I plan on shooting a fixed blade broadhead.

DuckHunt
xbowking

Post by xbowking »

I also have put some brass in serts into firebolts ... BUT it is very hard , i had to put the tip of the arrow in the kettle and boil it several times each time pulling it with Vise grips on a field point and pull and boil & pull and boil untill it finally came out be careful not to twist to hard or you will damage the arrow and all the hard work is for nothing it does take several trys with boiling and pulling but it does come out eventually , i also cut a little bit of the brass inserts off to get my arrow to weigh 400 grains , you need a scale to weigh the shaft after you get the alum. insert out and weigh the brass to figure out what you need to take off for what you want your arrow to weigh, have fun , we need to find a way to get firebolts with no alum. inserts in them at all then we can just glue our own brass into them that would be a heck of alot easier, if anyone knows where to get RAW firebolt shafts please let us know PLEASE!!
"DON'T BE SCARED JUST GET A BOO"
PREMIUM CROSSBOW STRINGS
Bohning Blazer Vanes Rock
todd

Post by todd »

Thanks for all the input. I will give it a try this weekend and see if I can get a couple out. Sounds like gold tips are the way to go if I was getting new arrows. I have read that the easton shaft is typically stronger and better quality than the gold tip for arrow shafts. I don't know about bolts, but I kind of wanted to go with the eastons if possible.
Normous

Re: indserts

Post by Normous »

[ Grizlzley Adam wrote]

I was going to say that if complaints are accurate, one of the best ways to get an insert out of an arrow is to shoot the arrow into a stiff target and attempt to get it out with a T-handle arrow puller! :P :lol: :wink:[/quote]

Especially if pydpiper assembled that arrow :lol:
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
michiganman

inserts

Post by michiganman »

i change my firebolts a month ago.i used field tips,heated the end up with a torch lightly.they pulled right out.i have a small round file and cleaned the shafts up,and used gold tip brass inserts,no problem installing them.i am also at 455 grains with 100 grain heads. shooting real nice ,and hits like a hammer.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
roly

Post by roly »

I took some out last Sat. used a hair dryer and the handle of my guncleaning kit poped right out

I can't find brass inserts can any one help?
michiganman

inserts

Post by michiganman »

i ordered mine from bowhuntersuper store. dave -wyvern on archery talk in the classifieds section also has them.he had them made a little smaller than gold tip ones i used.if you use gold tips,make sure you clean out glue ,the new insert is a little longer and will hit the glue were old one was.i used a small file i use on chain saw ,worked well. if you need more information pm me,ill get you set up with dave,JIM
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
michiganman

brass inserts

Post by michiganman »

Wyvern Creations LLC;

[email protected] email attention dave
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
todd

Re: inserts

Post by todd »

michiganman wrote:i change my firebolts a month ago.i used field tips,heated the end up with a torch lightly.they pulled right out.i have a small round file and cleaned the shafts up,and used gold tip brass inserts,no problem installing them.i am also at 455 grains with 100 grain heads. shooting real nice ,and hits like a hammer.
I read the gold tip and easton inserts are different size. It sounds like the GT's are larger, but you got them into your easton shafts, or did I get something mixed up?
Last edited by todd on Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I have some 8-32x6" threaded rod I got from an Ace hdwe store. I've found putting it in a vise w/ about 3" sticking out horizontally let's me heat the rod w/ propane torch well away from shaft, mine came right out.

To clean the interior of the shaft a .270 cal bronze bore brush spun briefly in a drill does a fine job. I slide the arrow on so the very front 3/8" or so is past the end of the bristles so I don't enlarge the press fit there.
"Eze 18:21"
roly

Re: brass inserts

Post by roly »

michiganman wrote:Wyvern Creations LLC;

[email protected] email attention dave
Thank you Mr. Jim.