Varizone scope set up

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cptmobile

Varizone scope set up

Post by cptmobile »

Hi, I am setting up a used Varizone onto an Exomax bow. Do I set the "dial in" for the rated 350 fps or the more realistic 300 or so fps I will get with my string/arrow combo?
Thanks.
cdup

Post by cdup »

Welcome to the forum, set it for your arrow and string combo.You can describe your setup and someone may give you a better idea on your fps to set your scope. Then you will have to shoot, and shoot some more to get it right on the money. Good luck!
Respect everyone, but fear no one
bigsy

Post by bigsy »

welcome :D
"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." Ted Nuget

Wabi call to bring them close,
Exomax with Boo string projecting Big John bolts, to bring them home
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

thats correct, tell us the string your using and the arrow weight. starting off just sight it in at 20 yds. then turn speed ring to 330 area and shoot it at 50 yds. if it hits high turn speed up abit more. if it hits low turn speed ring abit slower
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome to the forum. i would suggest starting with roughly 330 depending on your set up . are you using a fast flight string or dacron. carbon or aluminum arrows
Rich

Post by Rich »

WELCOME!! Sight in at 20 yards using elevation/windage adjustments. Once dead on at 2, move to 30 or 40 and shoot with the ring at 330 (should be in the ballpark). Adjust speed ring higher if bolt is high, adjust lower FPS is it hits low.

Rich
Last edited by Rich on Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

One more tip, the speed ring doesn't affect the crosshairs only the aim points below them.
"Eze 18:21"
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
cptmobile

Post by cptmobile »

Thanks for the info and the link. I did a search and could not find anything.
I am using standard Excel string, aluminum #2216 bolt and 150 grain Bolt Cutters. Excal's chart states a speed of 311 fps.
Thanks Again.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The Speed Ring is actually a magnification ring...it changes the distance been aimpoints. The higher the setting the greater the magnification. Once sighted in at 20 with crosshair, try the first 'arrowhead' down for 30. If it hits high, increase the magnification (decrease the distance between settings). If it hits low decrease the magnification, which will cause the arrow to hit higher. But it's likely to not be exactly on at all distance, because it depends on the trajectory of your arrow.
roly

Post by roly »

Mr. cptmoble ; go to the Excal product site 2009 product line , red tabs on left side ,arrow balistics.

Weclcome ; your gona love it
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Welcome to the forum! :D
Grizz
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome Friend :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
flstc2

Post by flstc2 »

Good morning all. This is a very informative forum. I bought a Exocet 200lb this winter but havnt really had a chance to sight it in more than 10 yrds. (My wife isnt happy about shooting it in the basement) Couldnt stand not shooting it at least a few times. Then had carple tunnel surgery in Jan and knee surgery a few weeks ago. BUT, im getting ready to get started now. Plan to Turkey hunt here in Iowa in a couple weeks with it. Keep up all the great help, it saves a lot of time and mistakes that someone else has already made. Have a great day. dan