QUESTION ABOUT ADDING WEIGHT TO BOLTS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

animal

QUESTION ABOUT ADDING WEIGHT TO BOLTS

Post by animal »

HI . EVERYONE I AM NEW TO THE FORUM . I SHOOT GT LASER 2'S WITH 100 GRAIN TIPS = 370 BOLTS . QUESTION IS I WOULD LIKE TO GO HEAVIER. HOW MUCH WEIGHT CAN I ADD TO THE FOC BEFORE I HAVE TO ADD WEIGHT TO THE BACK END OF THE BOLT? ALSO WHAT IS THE BEST PROCEDURE TO DO THIS? SAY I WANT TO GO ABOUT 400 TO 450 RANGE, THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTION

EXOCET 200
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Welcome to the forum!
Adding brass inserts would help get your FOC up, then after that you could add heavier broadheads, but it wouldn't be necessary.
Putting on smaller vanes would also increase FOC, at the same time lowering the total weight, minimally.
Plastic nocks would increase FOC too, but again, almost unnoticeable.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Welcome to the forum

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Welcome aboard!

Adding brass front inserts for the GT Laser 2 will add a bit more than 80 additional grains to the total weight. That will push the total weight to the 450-455 range. The FOC should then be around 18%.

I'm not sure how much more weight you can add to the front beyond that before you need to start adding to the read. But, that is only a question if you want to shoot an arrow heavier than 450 grains.

I've got one set of arrows set up that way and they shoot awesome regardless of the broadhead I screw on them. They also hit a target noticeably harder.

DuckHunt
cdup

Post by cdup »

Welcome to the forum! :D
Respect everyone, but fear no one
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome
dutchhunter

adding weight

Post by dutchhunter »

i was sent some screws that screw in to the back of the front incert to add weight thy come in several weights and are very easy to add pm for more info DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

My own setup consists of Gold Tip Lazer II with 110 gr brass insets, 2" Blazers and 100 gr head. That gives me a 405 gr arrow with 18% FOC.
Works great. With 125 gr Slick, for my faster bow, it gives me 430 gr and 20% FOC. I use no wraps(to keep weight off back) and just 2" vanes for same reason.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Welcome to the forum, Animal! :D

I too think heavier is better, within reason.
Grizz
diesel

Post by diesel »

Welcome to the forum . If you just wanted to go to 400 gr. I think I would just go to shootin 125 BH. that is the fastest way.
or like others have said add set screws or brass weights ( gold Tip has them ) to the insert.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

you really shouldnt have to add weight to the end of any arrow as long as its above the min grains you can shoot for your bow.

By adding weight to the front you are increasing the FOC. You have aluminum inserts. You can switch those out for brass which would add 60-70 grains up front and should give you a FOC of about 18%. You can add weights also, but the simplest thing you can do is use a heavier BHead or just switch out the aluminum inserts for the brass ones.

The only reason you need to add weight to the rear is if you want a heavier arrow and you also want a less nosedive out past 30 yards. But a arrow thats more nose heavy will fly better though :D
animal

Post by animal »

THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS! THE OTHER DAY I WAS SHOOTING AND HAD 15M WIND AT MY BACK EVERYTHING WAS GOING GOOD . THEN I MOVED THE TARGET SO I HAD 15M CROSS WIND THATS WHEN IT GOT HAIRY I WAS 3" TO 6" OFF MY AIM POINT. IM HOPING THAT ADDING WEIGHT TO THE FOC WILL HELP . THANKS ANIMAL
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTION

EXOCET 200
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

animal wrote:THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS! THE OTHER DAY I WAS SHOOTING AND HAD 15M WIND AT MY BACK EVERYTHING WAS GOING GOOD . THEN I MOVED THE TARGET SO I HAD 15M CROSS WIND THATS WHEN IT GOT HAIRY I WAS 3" TO 6" OFF MY AIM POINT. IM HOPING THAT ADDING WEIGHT TO THE FOC WILL HELP . THANKS ANIMAL
The weight will help in that situation, in a controlled environment the FOC really doesn't have much to do with anything. It is the presence of other variables that make the heavy FOC prevail, like a crosswind.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Pydpiper wrote:
animal wrote:THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS! THE OTHER DAY I WAS SHOOTING AND HAD 15M WIND AT MY BACK EVERYTHING WAS GOING GOOD . THEN I MOVED THE TARGET SO I HAD 15M CROSS WIND THATS WHEN IT GOT HAIRY I WAS 3" TO 6" OFF MY AIM POINT. IM HOPING THAT ADDING WEIGHT TO THE FOC WILL HELP . THANKS ANIMAL
The weight will help in that situation, in a controlled environment the FOC really doesn't have much to do with anything. It is the presence of other variables that make the heavy FOC prevail, like a crosswind.
ditto what he said;)

it will help, but wind's still gonna effect flight no matter what the FOC. On windy days, you have to decide whats a safe shot. Im hunted on days where the wind was kicking up to 25-30 and its no way im shooting out past 25 yards. Its hard enough to get steady for a shoot like that with no rest :D