next questions from the new guy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Caribou Creek

next questions from the new guy

Post by Caribou Creek »

First off let me say that I am flat out amazed :shock: :shock: how well my new exomax shoots. I was able to finish sighting in out to 50 yards today.

My dad who just turned 80 even shot a couple small groups at 40 yards today.

I shot numerous 3 shot groups today at 50 yards that were no more than 3 inches.

My question is when I first strung the bow the string was about a quarter inch above the upper line on the bow, Now the string is a little over half way to the second line.

If I twist the string to bring it back up to the middle of the lines will this increase my FPS enough that I will have to resight the scope?

Also how long do factory stock strings last? Just wondering if I should order a spare.

Thanks

Fred
mikej

Post by mikej »

i like my brace height at 1 1/8" if twisting it to the disired height should only have a minimal change in POI if any. i don't think you would want to be above the line. the string just stretched a bit from shooting which is normal, just set the brace height to what ever you prefer and check it every so often. i usually check mine every 20 to 30 shots
Boo

Post by Boo »

Hey Fred, Sumner did some tests recently for Excal's string maker which showed that you should get a couple of hundred shots. Keep your brace height between the lines but in the upper half. You should have a spare around. Make yourself a "witness mark" on the side of the rail for quick reference and pay attention. Big changes in brace height will change the point of impact. Also remove the string once in a while and roll it over half a turn so that you wear both sides of the serving, giving you twice the serving life.
Good luck and have fun! Welcome to the forum!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
mikej

Post by mikej »

the mark is another good idea i forgot to mention i put it on my bow after boo's suggestion
mikej

Post by mikej »

does excal not make thier own strings?
Caribou Creek

Post by Caribou Creek »

Thanks guys. I'll flip the string over after a few more shots I have noticed where the serving is wrapped around the string on the side my rope cocker is sepatating the serving wraps a little, I have kept it well rubbed with string wax.

Here is a shot of a buck I took on a muzzleloader hunt 2 years ago, I can't wait to try out the exomax on some critters!! not the best hunting photo I have ever taken but my buddy with the camera showed up after the work was done and the hike out had started, up hill all the way to the truck!!

animal

Post by animal »

NICE BUCK :!:
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTION

EXOCET 200
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

That is great looking buck :!:
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

is that a Muley or a whitetail buck? It has the features of both so thats why I ask. Im assuming muley due to the split tines and short brows. If thats a whitetail, its huge :shock:

btw, if it helps you wont see really a difference of +- 5fps anywhere between those lines on the bow. I tried different locations and none really made a huge difference in impact area or fps. I keep mine about 1/4th inch above the last line next the the foot stirrup. As Boo said, its best to roll the string after every 50 shots or so. But any Flemish string will need to be broken in which normally takes a good 100 shots. Still they tend to stretch overtime. I always string my new strings up a month or so before I plan on using them just to stretch them
mikej

Post by mikej »

crazyfarmer wrote:is that a Muley or a whitetail buck? It has the features of both so thats why I ask. Im assuming muley due to the split tines and short brows. If thats a whitetail, its huge :shock:
i was about to ask the same thing. i think muley but either way nice buck
Boo

Post by Boo »

mikej wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote:is that a Muley or a whitetail buck? It has the features of both so thats why I ask. Im assuming muley due to the split tines and short brows. If thats a whitetail, its huge :shock:
i was about to ask the same thing. i think muley but either way nice buck
The rack is biforcated which indicates that is is a Mulie.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
mikej

Post by mikej »

what is biforcated, that is too big of a word for me :lol:
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

mikej wrote:what is biforcated, that is too big of a word for me :lol:
i agree mike... :D .....kind of sounds like a word in a spam movie
if you dont stand behind our troops.
please feel free to stand in front of them
mikej

Post by mikej »

bifurcated = to split or divide two branches or parts
Caribou Creek

Post by Caribou Creek »

Guys first off thanks for all the info on tuning my new exomax, I am having a ball with it,

Yesterday at our big family Easter dinner all the guys were out back shooting the xbow, I think I converted a couple guys from a bow!!

The buck is a muley, here in Central Washington we only have mulies, 100 miles east we have some big whitetails on the Idaho border.

Thanks again for all your help

Fred