Post by Canabow »

Welcome to the forum.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
Tenn. Equinox

Post by Tenn. Equinox »

Welcome Coin man
I like your rangefinder , that's a good idea for a fast shot.
I may have to give it a try. :)
Tenn.

Equinox
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Welcome to the family. Wow like that range finder system. Have to get one for my compound bow and try it. If it works good look out cause I may have a few to buy!! LOL
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Welcome to the forum

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

First off, welcome to the forum. I am an advocate of bracketing / mechanical rangefinding and used this method to harvest my very first crossbow deer. Not sure if you came across my previous posting that covers the work that I have done on this method of rangefinding.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... highlight=

Here is the latest version of my rangefinder that I finally got around to machining. I made it out of clear acrylic to allow more light to get to the fiber optic pins. It is slotted to match the L bracket and I threaded it so I could reuse the screw and washer that comes with the factory fiber optic sight.

If you would like a copy of the software that I made from the mathematical model that I built, you are more than welcome to it. I also have it as an excel file if you would prefer. Good luck ranging.
-M

Coin Man

Post by Coin Man »

Shafferm, you sure did your homework! Your new site sure looks nice. What is your target size set up for? I set mine for 17" but, not sure most of our deer in this area are that big.
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

My sight is set for a deer that is 18 inches from belly to back and 13 inches across the ribcage. I model the body as an ellipse as opposed to just a circle that way if the deer is directly under you the distance you would be measuring is the measurement across the ribcage, this makes it a bit more accurate if the deer are less than 20 yards away from you, once they get out past 20 yards or so the distance out to them begins to have more influence on the spacing than any of the other variables. 17 inches seems reasonable for whitetail deer in your area, one thing I try to do now is measure any deer that are taken around where I hunt, this gives me better info as to what I should be using for modeling them in my area. The milled acrylic version is about the third version of the sight that I have built, the first one looked more like a ladder and I made it out of thin copper wires, it worked but was a lot more fragile than the current version.

-M
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome Coin Man
I like that sight
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
M&M

Post by M&M »

hey coin man whats that thing cost?
M&M
Coin Man

Post by Coin Man »

M&M,

The site is $25.00, but I also used the L bracket front site made for Excalibur crossbows. If you don't have one you can buy it from http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/exc ... p-324.html
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

bstout wrote:It's so thick with brush and briar where I hunt that it's impossible to see any further than 20 yards max.
You can see 20 yards in the woods around there? Man, I wish we had some open forest like that around here! :P :lol: :wink:
Grizz