Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

the frenchman

what is your strategy

Post by the frenchman »

hi to all

I would like to know what is your strategy when you go turkey hunting
ex:what time do you get to your spot
when do you do your first call
what kind of call do you do first (gobble, cut etc...)
and so on?

thank's
Michel
what time is it? time to go hunting
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Pick a good spot and stay for a least 2 hours and call if you don't see or hear a bird in that amount of time go to plan "B"
If you know were they are strutting or dusting, roosting these are good spots to set up on.Plan "B" for me is running and gunning actually I walk slow through the bush and stop and call every ten minutes or so and be ready to set up quik if you get a response.I had to shoot one running in a few years back I did not even have time to set up with my decoys and sit down :lol: Im sure you will read many different ways to hunt turkey's the most important thing is persistence and patience!!Good Luck happy hunting.
The best things in life are not things!!
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I try to put my target turkey to bed (find out where he roost). Then sneak in within 200 yards or so in the dark and set up uphill of him. I do not call until he gobbles, then only sparingly. In nature the hen goes to the gobbler when she gets bred, so I want him to 'think' I'm a hen that's playing hard to get.
When calling, and he responds, I keep still for several minutes before calling again. Most beginners overall. And watch, he may be coming in quiet.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

im there around the woods by 5:40

I stand or sit and listen for gobbles and then I move into my setup spot. Now if I know where the birds at, ill go ahead and setup(example:if I roosted the bird the night before). I just dont like roaming through the woods untill I know for sure where they are.

I let him gobble first then ill call lightly untill I get a response. Try not to call to much. From here on out its about 1000 different things that can happen which need different methods of calling.

I dont use a gobble call anymore at all. Think about it.. what do hunters go to in the woods?? A gobble sound. I had another hunter move in towards me awhile back since I was trying to get a shock gobble from a bird. After that scare, the gobble call went in the trash.

but anyway.. i normally just call with light yelps unless the gobblers hot. Then ill cut and purr. Ill also cut and purr to get a shock gobble out of a silent bird.

again its not exact way to do something each time to get a bird... every hunt is different 8)
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

My plan a is to either put em to bed and then about an hour before daylight call with an owl call to get a response. down here land is flat and swampy so up hill/downhill does not come in to play much. once I know about where he is I try to set up about 100 yards from him and certainly no closer. I f he is in the swamp then i just set up as close as i can get to him on a field edge or logging road( good landing /strutting jone). sometimes they will fly from deep in the swamp to a tree on the field edge ect. look listen and fly down. in these scenarios i will call very softly when he gobbles from the tree just before i think he will fly down. once i am pretty sure he has heard and answered me i just shut up... UNLESS... other hens start talking to him, then i try to immitate what they do, or do nothing if i think i am a lot closer than the other hens.
basically i call softly, wait a while between calling , and answer him when he gobbles on the ground... called one in yesterday for my brother like this and he shot him before he ever saw the decoy... some times i leave the decoy at home . i have killed about as many with as i have without decoys. sorry about being so long winded... be patient, quiet, and ready philip
thanks philip
subneural

Post by subneural »

Great advice, thanks guys.
Boo-strung, GroundPounded and Varizoned Phoenix, sold.
PSE Brute X pushing Easton Flatlines topped with Rage 3-blades.