heavy recoil

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

pdislow

Post by pdislow »

I consistently killed turkeys for 10 years and more with a 2 3/4" 12 ga. then my daughter won a 3" 12ga at 8 years old at a nwtf banquet and I started using that. Knowing what your gun/load will do is more important than having the biggest and heaviest thing around and flinch badly. my $0.02
thanks philip
Boo

Post by Boo »

Very funny you two! LOL!

I am not a big guy by any means and seen to handle 10 ga in a SBS, pump and autoloader with a smile. I also shoot quite a few hundred 3 1/2" 12 ga a year. Everyone is different in their perception of recoil. My SBE is pretty light and is not a gas autoloader so it does some pushing on the other end and it does not bother me one bit. As Ductchunter said you shouldn't notice it in the field and I certainly don't. On one hand I can shoot over a hundred 3 1/2" shot shells in a day without complaint but hate every single slug shell I shoot. Everyone perceives recoil differently. Dont let anyone tell you what to shoot or not to shoot. The best thing to do is to try shooting at game with different shells. There is no line that separates a magnum from a non-magnum. There are heavy loads and light loads and everything in between. The word magnum is very much over used and is more of a marketing word rather than an actual shell.
When waterfowling everyone I hunt with uses ear plugs and one who does not is a fool! No one uses a ported barrel and if they did we wouldn't notice. Any properly ported barrel that I've shot or been around did not sound much louder. Of course the properly ported barrels that I have been around have been pro-ported.
The big advantage to a 3 1/2" shell is to manipulate the affect of a affect of a choke. On current longer/extended chokes a 3" shell puts out a very tight pattern compared to the 3 1/2" shell. The 3 1/2" shell will spread out more but have more pellets to compensate.
Last edited by Boo on Sat May 09, 2009 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
mikej

Post by mikej »

Boo wrote:Very funny you two! LOL!
pyd do you think he's talking about us :lol: :lol: :lol:

well said don
Boo

Post by Boo »

mikej wrote:

well said don
I have to admit I forgot David had that gun! LOL!
Boo

Post by Boo »

BTW, much of the perceived recoil is the slap in your face cause by the drop in the stocks comb which porting helps. I Pro Ported my 1100 for shot gun assult courses. Once I had the gun ported I could do a double tap on a pepper popper!
mikej

Post by mikej »

Boo wrote:
mikej wrote:

well said don
I have to admit I forgot David had that gun! LOL!
that could be a warning sign of having to many toys :lol: :lol: :lol: maybe you should let pyd keep that one :shock: :lol: :lol:
TPM

Post by TPM »

Dont let anyone tell you what to shoot or not to shoot. The best thing to do is to try shooting at game with different shells.
I agree, try a few different loads to see what you're comfortable with but the original question was how to reduce painful recoil and often the best way to do that is "lighten the load". My point was that people often suffer unnecessary pain to there shoulder and wallet from being over gunned.
There is no line that separates a magnum from a non-magnum. There are heavy loads and light loads and everything in between. The word magnum is very much over used and is more of a marketing word rather than an actual shell.
You're right, manufacturers seem to have lost the true meaning of "magnum" but traditionally there is a line. Anything over 7/8oz. in a 20 gauge and anything over 1oz. in a 12ga..
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Boo

Post by Boo »

The best way to reduce the 'felt recoil' is to put on a Sorbathane/Kickeeze or Limbsaver recoil pad (yes these two make a big difference) and to add weight to the shot gun. I have known high volume shooters to tape on steel bars to the barrel or use 'stick-on' wheel weights. The stock is another place to add recoil reduction. My favorite is silicone and large shot put into the cavity of a synthetic stock. Wooden stocks can be bored out to add dead weight or a recoil reducer (just make sure the weight is removable).
"Recoil reduction" is a misnomer. The laws of physics can not be changed so the ft/lbs of recoil generated by a shell cannot be changed. That impulse generated by the shell can appear to change by extending the time line that it starts and finishes. Adding weight does all that as do recoil pads. A gun without a recoil pad pushes your shoulder just as much as one with a 2" thick recoil pad the difference being that the recoil pad spreads that impulse over a longer period of time.
Use the heaviest, baddest loads you can manage or want to manage after taking steps to make your gun more comfortable to shoot.
If you want to shoot my Pro-Ported 1100 give me a shout.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

The first time that I fired my Winchester SX3, I knew that I had made the right choice. It was ejecting light dove loads without missing a beat. Things were different when I pulled the trigger on my first 3 1/2" turkey load :shock: . I had no idea that a shotgun was capable of kicking that hard and as TPM said, I had made up my mind that I was going back to 3" shells next year. When I pulled the trigger on the first turkey with that gun I never felt it, not one bit. The same with the turkey I killed yesterday, never felt the recoil but I do plan on putting some of my old 3" through it to see what kind of pattern I get out of her. Now, with recoil being removed from the equation, it's simply a matter of what shell / choke combination that shoots the best and that's what I'll shoot :wink: .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I have shot the 3.5 magnums thru a number of different shotguns . ( friends that wanted to see how well I stood up to the recoil . ( Those shells really pound you especially when shooting off a bench patterning a load )

All I can say is that 3.5 inch magnums KILL on BOTH ENDS !!

As already stated ,I'm not so sure a 3.5 inch round is really needed . A properly placed shot with with a shell ( 2 3/4 or 3 inch ) that patterns well should flatten a bird at 30 or 40 yards quite well .
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Boo wrote:The best way to reduce the 'felt recoil' is to put on a Sorbathane/Kickeeze or Limbsaver recoil pad..(snip)
Or just talk your buddy in to patterning it for you, that helps on the felt recoil too. :D Have shoulder, will travel.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Boo

Post by Boo »

Pydpiper wrote:
Boo wrote:The best way to reduce the 'felt recoil' is to put on a Sorbathane/Kickeeze or Limbsaver recoil pad..(snip)
Or just talk your buddy in to patterning it for you, that helps on the felt recoil too. :D Have shoulder, will travel.
LOL, that was with 3" slugs, Frank got caught up and I kept feeding the gun! Man, after 6 shots it was hurting me watching his body get shoved back! Hehehehe!
wildwillie

Post by wildwillie »

port it :lol: :lol: :lol:
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome to the forum ww
Allan

Post by Allan »

Do 3 1/2' shells have more pellets and more powder?

Is there a further killing range with 3 1/2 shells?