Rangefinder on deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Rangefinder on deer

Post by ninepointer »

I just bought my first rangefinder and Cossack's post got me wondering: Does anybody use their rangefinder to range the actual deer in crossbow hunting situations, or do you just pre-range landmarks (or do both)?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
lscha

Post by lscha »

I have always just ranged landmarks while hunting. Never got a chance to range a deer if I could see them or they would see me ranging. :)

This year I plan to use my handy-dandy rangefinder mount and use it before sighting in on the deer. Well, that's the plan anyway. Right now I practice walking around my yard and stopping at various distances, guessing range to the target, ranging with the finder and shooting with the appropriate mark in my scope. Great fun!

So, this year it will be both. Can't wait!!
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

I will range the deer when it is out a ways. When it gets close it usually is in my preranged areas. No need to range the deer then.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I only range landmarks and trees. I want to be in kill mode when they cross into 40 yards.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
philman

Post by philman »

I always use my range finder on the deer before I shoot. I mean, when I dont forget the stupid thing in my truck!
MNDeerHunter

Post by MNDeerHunter »

I only use my rangefinder at first when I setup my stand and then range the area around me so I know certain points so when the time comes for a shot I am not playing with anything and ready to shoot.
When I go out west hunting for mule deer then it is a whole different ballgame. We go out and spot for deer and then try to stalk up on them and use the rangefinder when we get close enough to get a shot. When you get out in that open county judging distance is not very easy. The first time I went out without one I found that out the hard way when I shot an arrow just under a nice buck.
Life goes by quick - so don't think about going hunting - get out there and DO IT!
Vortex
Lumizone
Customized Firebolts
Boo String
STS
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Range landmarks. Makes me more patient. One of my scopes has a ranging function. Not sure if it's all that accurate, though.
ManX

Post by ManX »

I have a bushnell sport450 http://www.bushnell.com/general/rangefi ... eral%20Use
easy, cheeper, works well, don't give you the inclination so from treestand you have to calculated it http://cacciaebalestra.altervista.org/d ... ooting.pdf
hope to be usefull :wink:
[img]http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn235/ManX850/exorealtree-1.jpg[/img] ExomanX, Meopta 3100,[url=http://www.wolfszeit.com/images/WO.Mo.09-li..JPG]Wolfszeit[/url] scope mount, produce in ManX Factory spa: shock absorbers, 48 fff , 2216xx78 27% foc
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Both. I always like to range the landmarks at each setup to save having to range a deer later. I've ranged a couple deer in hunting situations. Both were at extended distances so that gave me plenty of time. I ranged one doe at 37 yards three times last year before I finally decided to take her. I prefer to let them get much closer so range is less of a concern.

DuckHunt
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Thanks for the replies. I guess the foremost idea is to thoroughly range your landmarks. Ranging actual deer would depend on the circumstances.

Last year I shot over the back of a buck that was actually closer than I thought. I would have had many opprtunities to get away with ranging him, had I had a rangefinder at the time :(
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I walk and hunt most of the time, so I use the rangefinder mounted to my bow. It has worked very well for me. I won't shoot unless I know how far the deer is within 2 yards. The way I have my bow set up it is a smooth and effortless event that requires virtually no movement.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Big John

n

Post by Big John »

I also range tree's and landscape, as well as the Deer.
Sometimes they come in at some weird angles and through
thick brush where I have not ranged, and sure is handy to know the actual shot distance from twenty feet up. :wink:
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
ninepointer

Re: n

Post by ninepointer »

John wrote:I also range tree's and landscape, as well as the Deer.
Sometimes they come in at some weird angles and through
thick brush where I have not ranged, and sure is handy to know the actual shot distance from twenty feet up. :wink:
LOL! :lol: I hear ya! The majority of deer I've shot, failed to read the playbook and showed up in places and at angles they were not supposed to :roll:
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

with my bow I always set up landmarks or decoys at set yardage like 20yrd & 30yds but not when I gun hunt but I probubly should :?
The best things in life are not things!!