Your Shortest Shot Ever

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big58cal

Your Shortest Shot Ever

Post by Big58cal »

Grizzly Adam started the "Longest Shot" topic, so I thought it would be cool to see what your "shortest" shot has been. Give a little detail with it when you list yours.

My shortest shot on deer is kind of a toss up. Back before my shoulders got messed up, I shot a little messed up 4 pt buck with a compound bow that was straight below my treestand. The arrow went in just left of his back bone and came out just right of center on the bottom of his rib cage. I was about 20' up in the tree.

The other one was about 3-4 years ago. I had gotten a .444 Marlin the previous year so I took it deer hunting for the first time the next year. During our muzzleloading season I had seen a really nice buck, but couldn't get a shot at him through all of the limbs. Opening morning of gun season it was drizzling rain, cold, and the wind was blowing. I was hunkered down in a little natural ground blind I had built just off to one side of a saddle in a ridge. I looked down the hill and saw a buck moving up the hill at a fast walk/slow trott straight toward me. When I saw him, he was only about 20 yds away and all I saw was one side of the rack and saw multiple, high points. Thinking it was the same deer that I had seen in muzzleloading season, I threw the gun up and shot when he was right in front of me, coming out from behind a tree about 15-20 ft in front of me. All of this transpired in about 3-4 seconds. The deer raised up on his back legs, did a 180 in the air and took off along a bench on the side of the knob. He fell about 30 yds away. I walked up to him only to find that he had suffered from some SEVERE ground shrinkage! :lol: He was a basket-racked 8 pt. He was tall on both sides, but only had about a 12" spread. :lol: Definitely not the deer I'd seen muzzleloading!

So what about the rest of you all? :?:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Well, crud. :x I guess I'm blind today. I didn't see that Grizzly had already posted one of these. :oops:

Sorry!
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I have killed bucks that were sniffing the tree I was in.

I spine shot a buck in 2001 with my Martin Firecat that actually collapsed against the tree I was in.
mikej

Post by mikej »

Mike P wrote:I have killed bucks that were sniffing the tree I was in.

I spine shot a buck in 2001 with my Martin Firecat that actually collapsed against the tree I was in.
wow what a shot, i like those ones that expire within sight makes for easy tracking :lol: :lol:
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Stosh

Post by Stosh »

Shot my first excalibur buck at 9 yards, I aimed low chest and spined him. He just stood there for about a minute and then slowly sat back on his hind legs then fell over. Nice 6 point.
Stosh
Fork Horn

Post by Fork Horn »

My first x-bow deer was shot 8yrds from the ground. I heard him coming up behind me in the leaves. When I turned to see him he was less then 5yrds away coming straight at me :shock: :shock: , He turned broadside As he stood at the property line. I found him fifty yards away and my arrow ten yards past that.
“A hungry dog hunts best”
Lee Trevino

Every time you kill a coyote an angel gets a set of wings. OK, I made that up. But it should be the case.
Mike P
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

the shortest shot was out a ground blind about 5yards away with grampa's 30-30 ...aimed for the heart and ended up hitting the buck in the spine ...dropped him in his tracks
huntone

Post by huntone »

Shot a 6pt. with a compound directly under my stand. Hit the deer in the aortic artery. that runs along the spine. Deer went 30 yards.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
wabi

Post by wabi »

Never measured exactly, but I've shot many deer at under 10 yards, and a few under 10 feet away.
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

My first deer, a buck, was shot at 3 yards, from the ground, no blind. Without doubt one of the most exillerating moments of my life. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Allan

Post by Allan »

I was hiding behind a wood pile when a 4 point came walking right to me. It sniffed the ground on the other side of the pile , and I could not reach over to aim an squeeze the trigger, the pile was too high. When he finally left , he walked directly away with only his butt as a target.

I never took the shot, but he was only a few feet away.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I've shot them at the base of my tree. On the ground I shot a buck with by Bear Super Kodiac Magnum Recurve at 5 yards.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Shot a doe in 2001 at about 12 yrds she was doing full speed and when we skinned her out two shots could be covered by a quarter just behind the shoulder. Luck or marksmanship? I say luck.
Tenpoint Matrix
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

10 ft away and went 20 yds (10 point)
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope