dogs

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

M&M

dogs

Post by M&M »

Looking for a dog for a pet that will also be a house dog but I would like to find something that doesn't shed, or at least sheds very little and has a good temperment, any suggestions? M&M
M&M
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Do you want a hunting dog? Will you want to let the dog run off leash?
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

How about one of these. Great temperament. Shedding isn't anywhere near that of a double coated breed. Great deterrant for thieves. This is our pup a couple months back. He's seven months now and is 90lbs or better. Good with other dogs, loves kids, loves attention, loves to eat.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
lscha

Post by lscha »

What is your energy level? Are there small children around? How much time will you be able to devote to the dog daily? Do you want a jogging companion or a couch potato? Consider a dog that is already house trained, perhaps older. There is a breed out there just for you but I suggest a rescue.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
M&M

Post by M&M »

I have 2 beagles for hunting dogs we had a lab golden retriever mix for a pet/extended family member but he passed away a couple of months ago, this would not be a dog for hunting it would be a family pet and companion would like it to be of the non shedding nature or at least very little shedding we have a fenced in back yard that gives good area to run but I would like it to be a dog that could be trusted off the leash when not in the yard and must be of good temperment, we have no small children at home so that isnt an issue but we were thinking of something in a little smaller dog M&M
M&M
lscha

Post by lscha »

Stay away from the terriers or any of the hunting dogs if you want one that stays close to home. The only dog that will be trusted off leash is the one that is trained to be. That would be your job if someone else didn't do it.

Shih tzus or a mix are perfect for hangin' out lap dogs and don't shed but need to be clipped or brushed regularly because their hair grows constantly. I had 2 of them and they are great family dogs. Many dogs don't shed and any mix of those small dogs would nice. Just remember that anything that ends in terrier may be more energy than you want to deal with.

Most bad temperaments are caused by people.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
mikej

Post by mikej »

chris is that a bull mastiff ?
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

[img][img]http://i362.photobucket.com/albums/oo65 ... 9098-1.jpg[/img][/img]

I have lived with many breeds, all good(german sheps, dobs, spaniels..) Just got a great dane a year and a half ago and I am sold for life on this breed. Its no wonder they are so big, its all heart. :wink: Great with my kids aged 7months to 7 years and loves to go hunting too. Gets real excited when I say "wheres the bunny" LOL. If you have space they are awsome!!!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Never get a better temperment than a beagle. Very loving dogs. Mine is a house dog with lots of opertunities to hunt. Can be a little stuborn at times but then again so am I :) :)
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

mikej wrote:chris is that a bull mastiff ?
You got it!!! He's still has his moments, but he's only 7 months. Otherwise He is a great dog.

M&M: A couple breeds to consider; standard poodle, portuguese waterdog. Both very good natured breeds, highly trainable, and no shedding, but will need to be groomed(clipped) periodically.

There are many breeds that will meet your criteria. But it becomes a personnal choice. Each breed has a certain look and traits that come along with them.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
fuel80guy

Post by fuel80guy »

I have a suggestion.I have 2 dogs one being a lab/terrier mix.the other is a portugese water dog.You will not find a more loving dog as well as a more amusing dog.The do not shed but must be groomed.They are a very energetic breed and they just love any form of water.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

The labradoodles and goldendoodles can be pretty low-shedding - depending on how close to their poodle side they're from.

I love my Airedale terrier, but they (like most terriers) are hunters and therefore aren't the best choice for off-leash. I work with Airedale Rescue and we see many in rescue for just that reason - they started running and didn't stop. A fenced yard is ideal. They can also be high energy dogs with a "prolonged adolescence". If you have a good sense of humour they are a great dog - its almost like they enjoy making you laugh with their antics. Fun, lovable and loving, great with children, very much "people dogs" that need to be around their people. They don't shed much, but do need to be groomed/clipped a several times a year.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
M&M

Post by M&M »

thanks for all the suggestions I like the goldendoodles but they can get quite expensive another one that we like is the puggle it is a cross between a pug and a beagle although they do shed some, but my wife really likes the puggle so we are going to look at one this evening we will se how that goes M&M
M&M
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Wirehair pointer? Female. Smart, love people, highly trainable, os ugly they are cute.
hiking

Post by hiking »

I have one 7 years now and still can't spell it, (weimaraner) I have a female about 70 lbs, she is great off leash, she barks but won't bite, she hardley sheds at all, great with kids, I think she is the perfect dog, I don't know much about the breed in general, but I know mine is excellent.