Ground hunting vs. Treestand (deer)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nighthawk

Post by nighthawk »

About 5% ground 95% treestand.I hunt on privite land,and we have 8 to 10 treestands,so no matter what wind condition, we always have a few stands to choose from.I know i'm a very lucky guy.
2008 Vortex 200
Vari-Zone Scope
150 grain boltcutters
huntone

Post by huntone »

75% tree stand, mostly ladder, 25% ground. I like to move when it rains. To me, there's just something thrilling about ground hunting that I don't get when I'm in a tree stand. I'm in a stand mostly because I know that where I hunt, my chances are better.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
one shot scott

Re: n

Post by one shot scott »

John wrote: The rest of the time, tree stands allow such a good view of everything around you, like watching a live T.V. Nature show, and everytime a different one!
John said what I was going to.. I love the veiw of my treestands. I can see whats coming sooner(most of the time) and the higher the better. This may change this season because i intend to take my boy hunting in a ground blind.

Thus far: treestands 100%
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
FullDRAW

Post by FullDRAW »

I agree! 8)
There's a place for all of God's Creatures...............right next to the mashed potatos! :)
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

100% ladder stand. 2 buddy & 2 single. I am disabled and can't use hang on any longer. Like the buddy stands best. Room for backpack and quiver and still have a place to lay my bow at the ready on the rail. Don't have to take too many off hand shots.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Probably 99% from trees archery. 100% ground rifle.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
MPSNIPER

Post by MPSNIPER »

Xbow - 95% tree, 5% ground. Rifle - 25% tree, 75% ground mainly because with the rifle I hunt with family / group and I enjoy 'dogging' to the fellows. It's a different style of hunting but there is quite a thrill listening to your hound bringing a chase around to one of your gang.
-Michael.
"like a hound...he hunts in his dreams"
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I will be hunting from the ground this year due to the experience I had this spring turkey hunting.
The deer would tolerate alot of movement even waving at them to shu them away.
Seeing this made me want to try hunting from the ground and will mean easier relocating tactics as you see what the deer are doing in your area that time of the year.
Tenpoint Matrix
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Dereck wrote:I will be hunting from the ground this year due to the experience I had this spring turkey hunting.

They are far less tolerate in the fall Dereck.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

100% ladder stand I like to live on the edge as I get Older [57 in August] :lol:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
MNDeerHunter

Post by MNDeerHunter »

About 50% from tree. I too fell out of a tree when my tree stand strap let go about 6 years ago and have been very cautious since then. I was lucky as all I got from the fall was some scrapes from the tree on the way down and by some luck that I landed on my feet. :oops:
Life goes by quick - so don't think about going hunting - get out there and DO IT!
Vortex
Lumizone
Customized Firebolts
Boo String
STS
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

dick195252 wrote:100% ladder stand I like to live on the edge as I get Older [57 in August] :lol:

An autopsy would prove him to be well over 70! :lol:
mikej

Post by mikej »

Mike P wrote:
Dereck wrote:I will be hunting from the ground this year due to the experience I had this spring turkey hunting.

i agree , its almost as if they realize in the off season people are of no threat to them , most people anyways. damn poachers :evil:
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
huntone

Post by huntone »

mikej wrote:
Mike P wrote:

i agree , its almost as if they realize in the off season people are of no threat to them , most people anyways. damn poachers :evil:
x3..........I had a doe that was eating at a feeder last week while I was putting up a latter stand 30 yards away. I needed a saw that was near her and I had to yell and stomp to run her away.
Dale

Ibex
Lumizone
Dan Miller mount
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Climber or pre hung stands %100 , about the only time I will ground hunt is when I see a good buck as I am walking in or out and put a stalk on him.

In the early years I would stalk and find a good tree I knew the deer was going to pass and using spikes I would climb up fast , sit on a limb and wait , sometimes I would climb trees just to get a good look and hurry down and move to the next. Spikes are a great way to go if you have young legs for the job.