moon / flat nocks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

AHBH

moon / flat nocks

Post by AHBH »

Please answer this newby's questions as I have been wondering about it for some time. :oops:
Why does excalibur arrows have flat and not moon nocks?
Will the string not slip off the flat nock as moon nocks makes more sence
to me in propelling the arrow because it stays in the middle of the arrow?
Will excalibur crossbows shoot arrows with moon nocks or is it not advised?
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

Ive used moon nocks for years...but recently swithed to flat nocks....I didnt have any problems with the half moon...just decided to switch...And I dont have to line up the nock on the string like I do with half moons.....just put it in with any vane down and shoot.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I use flat just because?
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Most of the knowledgeable guys who shoot moon specific bows will tell you that flat nocks are more accurate...some even shoot flats in their bows. That's because the arrow does not need to adjust to the string position.
You won't have any problem with a partial dryfire (string get under nock) if you use flats with your exca. Not so with Parker and some others, though; voids their warranty.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Here's the explanation on the diff's I've read. It all depends on the claws. Those that flip up above the rail like our Excals use flat as the string is forced downward to the rail on firing.

The makes of xbows that have the claws flip down into the rail take the moon, aka half moon as the string tends to ride up off the rail initially.

Naturally, like anything else, there are those that ignore this and get away w/ it.

I also believe there are a couple exceptions to this rule of thumb out there.
"Eze 18:21"