Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

michiganman

2009 rocket broadhead field test

Post by michiganman »

just got in a few heads from the company i wanted to test in my exocet

crossbow 2008 excalibur exocet with boo string and whiskers.And varizone scope
speed was averaged at 306 fps with 100 grain heads

i shot excalibur firebolts with brass inserts at 456 grains with 100 grain tips.

i also shot easton powerbolts with brass inserts from wyvern and blazer vanes at 463 grains.

exocet was set up at 20 yards, with field tips ,both hitting 1" circles.

heads tested Rocket 2009 100 grain sidewinder,at 1.5" cut

new for 2009,Rocket steelhead at 1.5" cut

and the 125grain Rocket Stricknine at 125grains

i did not change any settings on scope and tested both bolts at 20,and 40 yards.all i can say these bolts and heads tested out great.all head grouped within 2" at 40yard with field tips.all three hunmting heads were touching twice at 40 yards with blazer vanes,and the 125grain head just alittle low.this means i can set my sights,and shoot my field tips,and screw on my hunting heads with no changes.this is why my family continues to hunt with this head ..

also i would like to say the exocet is one great crossbow, i sure am glad i bought one JIM
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
michiganman

rocket heads

Post by michiganman »

i forgot to mention the 125 grain stricknine is a massive 2" cut.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
sumner4991

Re: rocket heads

Post by sumner4991 »

michiganman wrote:i forgot to mention the 125 grain stricknine is a massive 2" cut.
Ye has found the way . . .congrats. :P Wait until you unload the large cut on a buck.

I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

I was thinking about using either the rocky mountain snypers or the striknines for my new vert compound bow...bt was worried about the strick's because they have a larger cutting diameter and since they open from front to back that I wouldnt have enough Kentic energy to get a good pass through...Its a 60 pound bow(not sure on fps..but im using a 380 grain arrow...IBO speed on the bow is 315)...Sumner,do you think i'll have enouh ke to be able to use the strick's?...
sits in trees

Post by sits in trees »

been using them since the mid ninties when they first came out, can't be beat, great heads!!!!
Prorudy

Post by Prorudy »

The 100gr sidewinder was also made for PSE under the name brute .keep your eye on ebay i was able to pick them up for $12 apack of 3. I have shot 6 deer with no failures in the past 2 years, and like you said poi is the same as field points.
michiganman

stricknine

Post by michiganman »

i use to shoot that head at 60lbs,but i shot close under 30 yards,and most deer here are under 125lbs dressed. if your hunting the big boys at 200lb dressed,then id go with the sidewinder at 1.5" cut with .036 blades.we shot 40 plus whitetails and turkeys with that head
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

Thanks for the info....I think i'll give the sidewinders a try with my vert bow.
michiganman

heads

Post by michiganman »

5 of us shoot the sidewinder,but i am now shooting the crossbow,due to shoulder problems.i was shooting 55lbs,brother 57lbs,other brother 62lbs,and two nephews 68lbs.we have done real well,and its also a great turkey head.the .036 blades will do some major cutting even on bone,JIM
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

sits in trees wrote:been using them since the mid ninties when they first came out, can't be beat, great heads!!!!
Maybe not beat, but, they can be improved. A couple of years ago Trophy Ridge bought out Rocket and made some really positive changes to the Stricknine and Hammerheads.

You really don't understand the difference between 1 1/8" and 2" until the broadheads are sitting side by side . . .then it's obvious.

I'm not sure how much energy is needed with your set-up, bojangles. You can always do like I did . . .add weight until you get all the way through.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Here are my favorite broadheads, side by side. The Slick Trick, the Spitfire(middle) and the Stricknine. When it comes to bleeding out quickly . . .size matters.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bojangles

Post by bojangles »

you can really see the difference there!....those stricknines are huge
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

bojangles wrote:you can really see the difference there!....those stricknines are huge
The thing I like about the Stricknines(other than the hole they make) is the ability to replace the tip. I've had pass throughs that end up against a rock and have ruined broadheads. Not the Stricknine . . .just replace the tip. :wink:

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
michiganman

rocket

Post by michiganman »

also whats nice on the sidewinder,stricknine,hammerhead is the tip,which enters the body before blade hits.this keeps the head in line ,even on a angle shot.imm be using that stricknine again this year,with a hole that big,theres always a blood trail.
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

heck with all of these bheads.. this season im hunting with sharpened fieldtips :P

thats one massive bhead though :shock: