Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mikej

Post by mikej »

nice pics hoss
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Sweeeet ! ... I love frogs legs !

Man ... now that's a load of them there !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

Here's a pictoral on cleaning a frog. :wink:

Frog Cleaning

We usually clean the whole frog. On bigger frogs, there's quite a bit of meat up on the back and front legs. :wink: Not knocking anyone who just cleans the legs. Just saying what I do. :D
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

What time is dinner LOL

The most I've taken is 25 using a pellet guy. Just pop them in the back of the head.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Killed 37 last night and one of them was so big he almost ate me..what a night..lol pics comin soon..

Big58cal wrote:Here's a pictoral on cleaning a frog. :wink:

Frog Cleaning

We usually clean the whole frog. On bigger frogs, there's quite a bit of meat up on the back and front legs. :wink: Not knocking anyone who just cleans the legs. Just saying what I do. :D
I hear ya Big58cal. weve done that in the past but when you kill so many frogs and there is not alot of meat there for the work involved. so we just go for the legs..Its kinda like filleting a fishes belly meat of the ribcage. when we catch alot of fish we dont even mess with it..to each his own. but excellent tip for sure..
Last edited by Hoss on Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Wes I am still thinking about the snake situation, I do not like them critters, I do not harm them but i try to stay clear of them, If i run into one in the woods {I have a couple times} they get the Right of way. Now the input texan just posted about shutting your light off and letting them swim by in the dark. Safe too say the frogs in Tennessee are SAFE from me :wink: :lol:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Big D

Post by Big D »

Hoss great job! This reminds me of bowfishing with my recurve in local creeks. I have been out 3 times killed alot of redhorse suckers. This brings me to my question. What do you do with the frogs bodys after cutting of the legs? I was just curious if you use them for anything. I freeze the redhorse suckers and you use them for garden fertlizer right before winter for the following year. Great job those frog legs look awesome!

Big D
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've given up on frog hunting.
Ohio has a 10 frog limit and a 10 frog possession limit, that's not enough for the whole family, and I hate the stares I get while I'm eating all the frog legs. :wink: :lol:
wabi
Boo

Post by Boo »

I gotta ask, do they taste like chicken? :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Boo wrote:I gotta ask, do they taste like chicken? :lol:
Been gonna gig some on my pond for 5 years. I've seen a couple up there that could eat the one far to the right on tailgate on 1st pic. No kidding.

I've been happy w/ a mess in Illinois alot smaller than those in photo, though. I have a lot of different types of snakes here. They all have some form of sex. That means more snakes next year. The copperheads and water mocs [aka cotton mouths] are introduced to my abstinence program.

Big58, Thanks for the whole frog tutorial, I'm gonna try that.
Hoss, Thanks for the inspiration, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

That's like a cartoon I saw once. These two frogs were laying in bed, with one of them smoking a cigarette. One looks at the other and says, "We DO taste like chicken." :lol: :lol: :lol:

But all joking aside, no, they don't taste like chicken. They taste like frogs. :wink: I know that doesn't help much, but they've kind of got a taste all to themselves.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Big58cal is right they are IMO kinda sweet and the meat is very white and clean. A frog will eat anything he can get ALIVE into his mouth . I have found other frogs, snakes,birds, crawdeads, mice all kinds of stuff. I marinate and the meat is so tender and sweet its like candy, Last weekend we hurt ourselves eatn so many I think I ate about 12 pair of legs

as to answer what do i do with the remains of my cleaning..I bury them in the garden they seem to really help..
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

awshucks wrote:
Been gonna gig some on my pond for 5 years. I've seen a couple up there that could eat the one far to the right on tailgate on 1st pic. No kidding.

I've been happy w/ a mess in Illinois alot smaller than those in photo, though. I have a lot of different types of snakes here. They all have some form of sex. That means more snakes next year. The copperheads and water mocs [aka cotton mouths] are introduced to my abstinence program.

Big58, Thanks for the whole frog tutorial, I'm gonna try that.
Hoss, Thanks for the inspiration, lol.
your welcome Awshuks....If you have not frog hunted that pond in 5 years there ought to be some good numbers on it as well as big ones..Go get that big one your talking about and post a picture.. I got to see that..OH last frog hunt we killed a monster for around here when I get the SD card from my buddy I will post a pic of it..

Take care
cdup

Post by cdup »

texan wrote:Good mess of frogs. I found out froging in the bayous of Lousiana snakes will come to the light. If you turn it off they will go on by. Boy thats hard to do. But it works.

Texan
I never had snakes come to light while frogging. Came across them at times but nothing like that. Not saying it's not true by any means at all. I also never knew that certain areas had limits on frogs. Down here its nothing to go out and catch 200-300 frogs in a matter of hrs. We keep them alive in a homemade box till in the morning and then knock them out to clean them. Congrats on a fine mess of frogs.
Respect everyone, but fear no one
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

That must be awsome getting 300 a night would be sweet...yep oklahoma regulations limit us to 15 ..We could kill a crap load every night but its not worth getting caught and being a bad example for some of the young guns I take..

From the Oklahome wildlife dept regulations--->http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/regs/repandamph.htm

Aquatic frogs (except bullfrog and crayfish frog), Woodhouse’s toad and aquatic salamanders of the genera Necturus and Ambystoma (except mole salamander) have no limit.

The daily limit and possession limit for bullfrogs is 15. It is illegal to sell bullfrogs or ship them out-of-state at any time. Bullfrogs may not be taken in the Wichita Mountains NWR.

Snakes Ive never had them come to my light as well but not saying it cant happen anything can...All I know is if they come to my light it will be the last time they do it LOL..a good snake is a dead snake in my book..