SPIT!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cossack

SPIT!

Post by Cossack »

My state bureaucrats did it again. When from bonus deer last year or one with each implement but only one buck last year, to only ONE DEER regardless of how it's shot. Worse yet, bucks only unless one gets a doe tag by lottery, then the doe counts as your one deer. So much for Quality Deer Management! How can a deer herd go from a bonus situation to bucks only in one year given our average kill last and good winter.
On the bright side folks will be buying only one license, maybe the loss of income will turn their heads.
MNDeerHunter

Post by MNDeerHunter »

I know what your talking about - my area went from having a early gun season and intensive harvest area (allowing up to 5 deer taken - only 1 a buck) to just 1 deer total.
The deer count in our area have been dropping fast due to the over harvest from this but the DNR waited to long to make the change. But no matter what I normally only take 1 or 2 deer at the most as that is all the meat I could use up. I just like going out hunting regardless.
Life goes by quick - so don't think about going hunting - get out there and DO IT!
Vortex
Lumizone
Customized Firebolts
Boo String
STS
mikej

Post by mikej »

that is the way our season has been for many years, i wish they would open it up a bit more
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

That is how I grew up with deer hunting; one deer (buck) per year, regardless of the weapon. When it went to the one buck to some who drew an antlerless tag too, people figured it would be the end of the herd. But as most know, over time the deer herds began to grow. Now they are shrinking again.

Sadly, I feel that same thing which is happening to you folks will be happening in many more states and not too far into the future. So enjoy what hunting you have; we may end up with very few deer hunters some day simply because there aren't many deer.

Here in Michigan I've said for many years that our DNR is making a huge attempt of making turkey hunters out of deer hunters. Sadly, that does seem to be happening.

Where I live, the herd is supposed to be way overpopulated. It was somewhat overpopulated but last year I could hardly believe the numbers of deer killed just on adjoining lands. Again we'll have an early gun season just for killing does. It will mean poor bow hunting for sure and if they take the numbers this year as they did last, I may not even hunt simply because there won't be enough to hunt. Back to squirrel hunting I guess.
Keep smiling!
Dennis