Getting Old

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ThomThom

Getting Old

Post by ThomThom »

Need some advice.
I have been bow hunting for 20 yeaars. 10 years crossbow hunting. Have been quite successful in NW Wisc. This year I can''t seem to get enthused for the years hunt. Age is 76. Body still in fair shape. Can still get in the tree stands, but hanging them is getting tough.I also would like a quick trail.

I don't like blind hunting. I am quite sure that if I don't go this year, I won't go again. I still love to see deer in the woods but for some reason I just can't get motivated to the make the 4,000 mile round trip. I need to make a decision in a week or so.

Any thoughts would be appreciated :?
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

WELCOME TO THE FORUM, THOMTHOM! :D :D

Sorry to hear you're in a slump, but I'm convinced you can come out of it! :)

One thing that occurs to me is this: Why do you HAVE to travel 4,000 miles round-trip just to hunt deer? That is a considerable travel effort. There are deer everywhere ... can't you hunt closer to home, or is there some special reason you must make such a big trip of it?

Another thing: I don't think you should feel like you HAVE to hunt at all in any given year. Many people let hunting define them, instead of defining hunting. It shouldn't be an obligation or a chore, but rather an enjoyable pursuit. I took a year off from hunting once, and I'm glad I did. I enjoyed it more when I took it up again.

Anyway, hope you get 'er figured out. Maybe hanging around here will inspire you ... good forum, great bunch of folks! :D
Grizz
lscha

Post by lscha »

WELCOME ThomThom! Image

If I had to travel 4000 miles every time I wanted to deer hunt I might ponder too!! To me, the question would be "How do I find someplace closer to hunt?" and I wouldn't give up till I found a place closer. Also, you should try some of the new blinds for ground hunting. Comfy, safe and sometimes more challenging. You left out alot of info........like, where do you live? At 76 you should be able to hunt where you want.

Make whatever is in NW Wisconsin come to you or make it more comfortable and safer for you to hunt there.

Deer are everywhere.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
lscha

Post by lscha »

Gee Grizz, we were posting at the same time. 2 great minds and all that :lol: :lol:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

lscha wrote:Gee Grizz, we were posting at the same time. 2 great minds and all that :lol: :lol:
:P :P :lol: :lol:
Grizz
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Im sure 4000 miles is what it feels like for you not the actual distance. Being 76 years young Im sure you feel the miles. Im 48 and have had some hard miles and I feel them miles getting longer as well. I do believe that as long as you keep going you will keep going. For instance my best buddy Jack who some of you know of. His Father n Law quit hunting and fishing because he got diabetic..I just found out I did as well..BUT Its motivated me to run from the grave not to it..Jacks Father n law went down hill fast after he stopped being active and he just gave up..

SO--"Get busy living or get busy Dieing"
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Big58cal

Re: Getting Old

Post by Big58cal »

ThomThom wrote:Need some advice.
I have been bow hunting for 20 yeaars. 10 years crossbow hunting. Have been quite successful in NW Wisc. This year I can''t seem to get enthused for the years hunt. Age is 76. Body still in fair shape. Can still get in the tree stands, but hanging them is getting tough.I also would like a quick trail.

I don't like blind hunting. I am quite sure that if I don't go this year, I won't go again. I still love to see deer in the woods but for some reason I just can't get motivated to the make the 4,000 mile round trip. I need to make a decision in a week or so.

Any thoughts would be appreciated :?
Have you got any grandkids? If not, know of any you can borrow? If you want to get excited about hunting again, get a blind and take a kid along with you. There's nothing better than watching a kid out hunting. :wink:
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome to the forum
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Welcome to the forum Thom. Where do you live?

I can relate a little bit of what you are going through. I hunted the north woods for many years but no longer make the trip. However, I am lucky to have our own 40 acres with good hunting plus I have another parcel which I have control of so can hunt that. If I wanted, I could also hunt much of the adjoining lands but the body dictates that my hunting is a bit more limited than it once was.

The key here is that the body limits me....but only to a point. I don't even hunt the amount of time I used to simply because I can't....but I do not let it stop me completely. I still enjoy it whenever I can get out there so enjoy what I can do rather than focus on what I can no longer do.

How about giving us some more information about your situation? Perhaps it will help. Who do you have for hunting partners? Where do you live? etc., etc.

I know probably one reason you like to hunt NW Wisconsin and that is the big bucks that come from that area. Many of us would also like to hunt there but few will. But don't forget, you'll always have the memories of past hunts.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the forum ThomThom. If you would like to come down to Tennessee in the 3rd or 4th week of October I can have you a spot to hunt. I just got back 3 weeks ago from Oregon Wisconsin, Which is 600 miles to my house. My Mom and sisters still live there. That 1200 mile round trip was a long enough haul for me and i am a Young pup at 56, So i can not imagine 4000 miles. Think about it and let me know if you would like to come down. {I will not Guarantee you a deer though} :lol:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
sits in trees

Post by sits in trees »

welcome, some time you just have to adjust things to suit your needs as you age, and that includes hunting. hunting can be enjoyed in many differant forms, and at age 76 you just have to find a way to keep it in your life.

hey i'm only 52 and gave up hanging stands, what a hassel, i now use ladder stands, alot easier to get in and out of, and i just bought a ground blind after discovering them this season when turkey hunting.

now there is no way i'm going to BS you and say yea i know what your going thru, but i hope this helps in some way? :wink:
ThomThom

need some advice

Post by ThomThom »

Some sage advice folks.

A little more info. I live in Florida, I hunt with my brother[-in-law in Wisconsin. That allows my wife to spend time with her sister. The 4000 mile trip is a little misleading since last year I flew into Minn/St Paul so the drive distance was only 200 miles and that sure made the travel more pleasant. Most of the past 10 years we have stayed 5 to 6 weeks.
Actual hunting time was maybe 12 days. Which proved to be plenty. I started going to Wis. even before I began to crossbow hunt. Hunted Northern Indiana usually for 7 days on the way home from Wi.

Anyway since my quadruple heart bypass 13 years ago I have felt really fortunate every deer season that I could still hunt. Still feel that way but just need a little more enthusiasm this year.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

WELCOME THOMTHOM!!

Nothing gets me more fired up than new toys! BUY MORE HUNTING "TOYS" :lol: :lol: :lol:
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Mike P

Re: need some advice

Post by Mike P »

ThomThom wrote:just need a little more enthusiasm this year.
We could send saxman over to slap you around a little bit, I'm willing to wager that might give you some incentive! :lol:
Michihunter

Post by Michihunter »

Last year I never even touched my bow. It was the first bow season I missed since I was 12 and I'm now 57. Just couldn't get excited about it and I live for deer hunting. Gun season I hunted my butt off sitting 8 days straight before daylight until after dark in all kinds of weather. Never saw a buck. Like you I tried the blinds and just don't care for them, feel like I'm always missing something. I wear my Gore-tex and take a 12 foot piece of camo to wrap around a couple of trees as a blind. Works for me. This year I can't wait for bow season to get here. Got my new Excal and there is a buck with my name on it. Thank God you are able to get out and hunt. I know several young guys with disabilities who would trade places with you today if they could. These dog days of summer tend to make us lazy and bored but when that first frost hits you'll get the itch. Pick up a few deer hunting DVD's, that will get the juices flowing. Hang in there and enjoy every precious minute you can in the Northwoods. Take care.