Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado
912zeus912

which broadheads

Post by 912zeus912 »

The reason i was asking about this is because i booked a bowhunt in kentucky with an outfitter.I told the outfitter that i had been in a car wreck and hurt my shoulder and had to switch from my pse compound to a crossbow.I told him i just puchased an excalibur(equinox).He proceeded to blast crossbows telling me that they lack the accuracy of compounds and the kinetic energy.He said that after 30 yds that they dont have enough energy to open expandables properly and at 50 they lack the energy to penetrate properly into a deer he also said at any range they will not cut through bone and for these reasons he was thinking of not letting hunters use expandables.Have any of you shot deer at 40 or 50 yds if so how was the penetration and has anyone at any range shot a deer in the shoulder bone and if so did it stop cold as he said it would or did it cut through the bone?thanks in advance!mike
buzzards gotta eat too!(JOSIE WELLS)
rt2bowhunter

Re: which broadheads

Post by rt2bowhunter »

912zeus912 wrote:The reason i was asking about this is because i booked a bowhunt in kentucky with an outfitter.I told the outfitter that i had been in a car wreck and hurt my shoulder and had to switch from my pse compound to a crossbow.I told him i just puchased an excalibur(equinox).He proceeded to blast crossbows telling me that they lack the accuracy of compounds and the kinetic energy.He said that after 30 yds that they dont have enough energy to open expandables properly and at 50 they lack the energy to penetrate properly into a deer he also said at any range they will not cut through bone and for these reasons he was thinking of not letting hunters use expandables.Have any of you shot deer at 40 or 50 yds if so how was the penetration and has anyone at any range shot a deer in the shoulder bone and if so did it stop cold as he said it would or did it cut through the bone?thanks in advance!mike
Take that Excalibur to him and feed that guy a little crow.
912zeus912

which broadheads

Post by 912zeus912 »

Hey thanks for the input i wasnt clear before he wasnt saying nor was i that you would aim at bone.He was saying if like so many times in archery things happen and you dont hit where you wanted to due to hunter error or animal movement that a compound would go right through bone and a crossbow wouldnt especially with an expandable. As far as shooting at 40 or 50 i guess that depends on the individual before the wreck when i shot a compound(pse x force ) that i shot through a chrony at 338 fps.I had killed several deer at 40 plus yards i practiced shooting atleast 2 times a week even in the off season and was confident shooting to 50 yards.My problem is i am new to crossbows and have no real world hunting experience with them so i dont know thats why i really appreciate those of you that do have experience advice.I hope by november this year to know what that equinox will do with a stricknine on it.thanks again!
Canabow

Post by Canabow »

Welcome to the forum. I think I would reconsider using this outfitter. I do not have a lot of experience using xbows but have shot a lot of bows and I am amazed at the penetration I get when shooting into my targets with my xbow. I feel absolute confidence in its ability to take game and will be using it to try to take moose deer and black bears this hunting season.
Equinox
FF String
Cheekpiece
huntfishfam

Post by huntfishfam »

I would pick another outfitter if it's possible, this guy has no clue. What is the rest of your trip going to be like? He shouldn't be slamming crossbows but doing everything possible to accomodate you. But that's just my opinion.
Sean
I hunt,I fish,I am
Get clean, lean and healthy with isagenix. I can show you how.
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

It sounds to me that this " outfitter" is a compound bow shooter and is completly aganist xbows. As suggested find another more friendly outfitter. After all it is your money.
I am a hunter and proud of it.
912zeus912

which broadheads

Post by 912zeus912 »

You got a point maybe i should or maybe i should take the excalibur up there and show him what a high quality crossbow can do.He did mention the bad experiences that he had the hunters were using hortons maybe it was the low end hortons that are inaccurate and fairly slow.I dont think he was saying it to be an ass i think he actually believed what he was saying.He told me he had a hunter using a horton that shot a 10 pt in the shoulkder at 20 yds using expandables and it only penetrated 2 inches.he felt like the expandables didnt deploy due to lack of energy.I think this is just a case of he has had some bad experiences with crossbows which could happen with any bow compound or cross and its a case of him having no knowledge of crossbows because when i mentioned to him i had an excalibur he said he had never heard of them.
bkisel

Re: which broadheads

Post by bkisel »

912zeus912 wrote:... and has anyone at any range shot a deer in the shoulder bone and if so did it stop cold as he said it would or did it cut through the bone?thanks in advance!mike
Yes, a bunch of years ago. 60# @ 29" Bowtech Stalker, which was not a very hot bow, 125 gr. 3 blade Muzzy. Remember 35-55 GT with weight tubes but don't recall whether yellow or red. Medium size doe shot at about 22 yards was hit in the off shoulder with about 8" or so coming thru and broken off. Don't know if the arrow would have passed thru if she hadn't spun on the hit. Doe spun one way then the other before falling and expiring within a few yards of where she was when she was hit.

Take care...
PaJack

Post by PaJack »

I used Rage 2 blade last year,the deer ran 30 yards with a excelent blood trail... :idea:
Hunt Safe,
Jack
912zeus912

which broadheads

Post by 912zeus912 »

yes he did seem a little cocky i think once he sees what the excalibur can do he might be converted.By the way i shot my new excalibur today and lets just say i am no longer worried about energy or penetration.i cant believe how accurate it is even at 50 yds and i cant believe the penetration.i shot it at 20 first to sight it in and in a brand new block target it sunk the bolts to the fletching also had great penetration at 50 yds.thats with field tips so i can only imagine what it will do with broadheads