Which one would you shoot???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Farmer

Post by Farmer »

I would take which ever deer presented the 1st good shot.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

groundpounder wrote:
dont waste a young buck
I don't particularly care for this statement. I'm not wanting to stir the pot with this statement but also want to give my point of view. We all have different goals and reasons for why we hunt. We also all have different hunting opportunities. Some better, some worse. For me the only waste of a deer is one that is not used after harvested. Don't get me wrong I like big antlers too and I've also let a many young deer walk. But we also know that the younger are better when it comes to eating.
I edited my words since I stated them poorly or they were missread
mikej

Post by mikej »

early in the year i would let them both walk in hopes of getting a chance at a bigger buck since i can only take one deer per year. late season if i still had my tag i'd take the doe for meat and let the buck grow.i honestly can't taste the difference between a doe or young buck compared to a big old buck, so i am able to trophy hunt and meat hunt at the same time. :lol:
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

if you have the tags...take your pick. they all taste the same.
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

groundpounder wrote:
dont waste a young buck
I don't particularly care for this statement. I'm not wanting to stir the pot with this statement but also want to give my point of view. We all have different goals and reasons for why we hunt. We also all have different hunting opportunities. Some better, some worse. For me the only waste of a deer is one that is not used after harvested. Don't get me wrong I like big antlers too and I've also let a many young deer walk. But we also know that the younger are better when it comes to eating.
I'm interested in how much older YOU THINK the doe is than the buck? I would also like to know if you think you could taste the difference between those two deer? I personally don't care what you shot. If you want to shoot every 1 year old buck in the woods more power to you, but then don't EVER be mad that you have a poor buck pool. As you can tell I agree with Crazy, if you can shot a doe rather than a small buck why shot the buck? If your out for filling your freezer. In this case the doe would have more meat. I don't beleive you could taste the difference between the too. If givin a good shot on both to shot the buck you get less meat, a set of small antlers, and you also never get the chance to see him grow. This is not me saying each person is not entitled to shoot whatever deer they want. This is me trying to understand why you would shoot this buck. In this situation?
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

doe.........
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

There's a couple of fellas on here in Tenn. and the doe's are getting hard to find in their part of the state, so it depends on the population of does? if plenty go with the doe.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Guys, We all enjoy hunting. For many different reasons. We all have a different opinion on what classifies as a trophy. To some its a doe. Some a huge buck, some a spike. As long as none of them are illegal to take. so its a matter of personal opinion, Which is what this thread started out asking. I know that personally for me any deer is a trophy.

I also think Cf never meant any offence with his remark. He does not seem the type.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I am sorry if i have created a tense situation on this post. I only wanted to post the pictures and get some in put as too other hunters preferance in there kill selection in a situation like this. the way it looks that is all i have seen so far are nice doe and young bucks. The main reason i hunt is for the relaxation and stress relief that the woods gives me.Gods creatures are so fun too watch in there natural surroundings. Second is i love venison :) In Tenessee where i am located we are allowed to take 3 anterless deer per day and a total of 3 buck per season Yes you are reading that right very liberal bag limit.. I guess the point i am trying to get at is when gun season comes around will those hunters let the young bucks walk {I only have 10 acres that i own} Thank You all for your input and I respect all your opinions.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
War Paint

Post by War Paint »

The one closest to the grill. I like that one
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

how much older YOU THINK the doe is than the buck
With the pictures given I would say that these deer are probably all the same age.
you think you could taste the difference between those two deer?
To taste the difference between this group of deer probably not. But between a large older doe and a young buck, Yes. Between a "wall hanger" and a young buck, Yes.
don't EVER be mad that you have a poor buck pool
Not ever mad or else I wouldn't go. Sometimes we have to take what we can get. I know there are some very nice deer in Georgia and alot of them are even on public land. But I would say the majority are on the private properties with astronomical prices to be a member of. Its rare occasions that I get to hunt private properties and for me I wouldn't get much enjoyment out of having to fork out a ton of money to do something that I also know that I can do for free. I do hunt one WMA that has quality buck restrictions of four on one side but even of the deer that are taken on this hunt aren't of the greatest of size. Alot of my hunting is in the North Ga mountains and these deer tend to be a little smaller. More than likely due to the lack of good food versus our southern deer that get alot more agriculture to feed on.
In this case the doe would have more meat
If a young buck and a doe are the same age I would venture to say that the buck would have more meat. I have seen bucks and does the same age and the bucks are usually significantly larger. Knowing they would also have a larger bone mass but I would be safe to say more meat too.
why you would shoot this buck. In this situation?
Depends on what I would be hunting for at the time. If I were meat hunting I would more than likely shoot the first one that presented the best shot. If I were antler hunting I would let them all walk.

I am not offended or see this post as a tense situation. Just as differences in opinion. I have been directly asked some questions and am answering them from my point of view. I am not offended by Crazyfarmer one bit. I just commented on a choice of words. I think we are all a little jealous of Crazyfarmer and his hunting opportunity and his ability and choice of being able to be choosy of which bucks he harvests. Like we always say in our defense of hunting with crossbows, Don't knock the methods of which we choose to hunt whether it be crossbow, vertical bow, muzzleloader, rifle, or spear for that matter. Don't knock which game we choose to harvest or not.
Why ride when you can walk!
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Groundpounder I am glad you weren't offended by my post. I was trying to understand your way of thinking. I'm not the best hunter in the world. Things don't go the way I want them to everytime I go out. Just trying to see the other side of the coin. At the end of the day we are all on the same team! It's us against the anti's fighting for are rights. I have no problem taking whatever animal you want, as long as you take a good shot.