emergency room visit(READ ESPECIALLY IF YOU USE CRANKAROO)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

mikej

Post by mikej »

wow sorry to hear of such a brutal accident . thanks for sharing to warn everyone of the dangers . i hope you make a fast a full recovery
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

So sorry to hear of your accident, and I hope and pray you'll recover fully ... soon! :D
Grizz
912zeus912

Post by 912zeus912 »

thanks everyone for your consideration.i go to opthamologist tomorrow so i will see if there is any permanent damage to my eyethen.as for now still constant migranes,loss of vision,and i guess it must have kind of whiplashed me cause neck is in alot if pain.there really is alot of great people on this forum glad to be a part of it.
buzzards gotta eat too!(JOSIE WELLS)
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Here hoping for a 100% recovery Zues912. Thanks for sharing an important lesson that so many could repeat easily.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

:shock: :shock: :shock: Sorry to hear of your mishap ! I can not imaginine what that felt like . Hope you have a full recovery .
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Sorry to learn about your accident and am wishing you a rapid and full recovery. Thanks for sharing though as I'm about to be a new CB shooter and should benefit by the sobering information you posted.

And I thought my Glock was dangerous! :)

Take care...
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Sorry to hear of the experience, I hope it all works out for you.
If it makes you feel any better I will share my story too.. I had a spanking new Boo string and I wanted to shoot it in to place, put a bag in my carport and started shooting as many times as I could to break in my string.
At ten yards I had no problems from doing it from the hip.. My electrician showed up, he is an Excal guy too, but not on here. He commented on my string, it really is a beauty. I explained what the cat whiskers were for and proceeded to show him how quiet my bow was.. The rope cocker was still on!
It was an awful noise, one of the handles came around and shattered on my finger, took me a couple months but I did finally realize it broke my finger, as well as my rope cocker.
I got of easier than you;

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ope+cocker

Better news, there is a market for those parts;

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... ope+cocker
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

That was ugly, I hope your daughter is over the trauma of having her Daddy down like that. Also glad you are back in the saddle.

I developed a routine, and I make myself follow it. Probably similar to everyone else's, but when I raise the bow to shoot, I say THUMB.

Hope your eye recovers.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
mjm

True Confessions

Post by mjm »

Thanks for that and I hope you recover fully.Good for us newbies to hear of the potential dangers.As long as were playing True Confessions...here's mine.Bought a new ladder stand a few years ago and you know how the instructions for every stand out there,warns you repeatedly in many places of the dangers of climbing into and/or sitting in your stand without a harness?Well,I didn't even get that far.While assembling the thing,I had just completed the top section where you sit or stand and went to stand it up next to a tree in my yard.I had not yet attached the foot rest cables to the top section and as I stood the stand upright against the tree,the foot rest swung down and almost completely chopped off the tip of the third finger on my left hand.No one has a monopoly on stupidity.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Add my wishes for a speedy complete recovery to the list. I'm a member of the dry fire and clipped nail club, and have a severely dented box fan that met a limb tip unexpectedly.

I think I'd send that Crankaroo into Danny and get it checked out while you are on the walking wounded list and not using it.

Be careful out there folks!
"Eze 18:21"
912zeus912

Post by 912zeus912 »

thanks again every one.went to eye doctor today i have a scratched cornea he said it basicly looked like rope burn on my eyeball.i also have alot of floaters (makes you see spots)in my eye now.he explained this as the eye is full of gel inside and when the string hook and string hit me it knocked pieces of the gel loose which causes gel to float around in the eyeball making you see spots.he said it will always be like that now but eventually the brain gets used to seeing them so you notice them less.the only danger now is if my retina detatches which could happen up to two weeks after trauma as mine oes show sighns of irritation.i tell you what back in high school and college i used to be a brawler and i have been hit by as big of guys and as many different ways you could imagine but i can tell you nothing compares to the lick that excalibur crank handle and string hook put on me.a broken nose is childsplay compared to this wouldnt wish it on anyone.
buzzards gotta eat too!(JOSIE WELLS)
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

912zeus912 sure hope all turns out well!!

I also am left handed, however let me state.... Not putting your MASTAKE as a dumb thing, but as a" UNFORTUNATE MASTAKE" one thing I would never do, nor thought of doing is leave on my CRANKAROO when shooting any of my Excals....

Mend fast and well, I have had a few eye surgeries over the past couple years and the Doc., is correct!! the floaters/spots will either leave with time or your BRAIN will adapt and ya won;t see them..

Again heal fast and well, thanks for posting your serious accident with the crankaroo as I am sure it will serve as a great warning to some younger ones and old ones as well as a THING NOT TO DO NO MATTER WHAT !!!!

Great Hunting!!

GaryL .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
B-Logger

Re: emergency room visit(READ ESPECIALLY IF YOU USE CRANKAR

Post by B-Logger »

912zeus912 wrote:thanks again every one.went to eye doctor today i have a scratched cornea he said it basicly looked like rope burn on my eyeball.i also have alot of floaters (makes you see spots)in my eye now.he explained this as the eye is full of gel inside and when the string hook and string hit me it knocked pieces of the gel loose which causes gel to float around in the eyeball making you see spots.he said it will always be like that now but eventually the brain gets used to seeing them so you notice them less.the only danger now is if my retina detatches which could happen up to two weeks after trauma as mine oes show sighns of irritation.i tell you what back in high school and college i used to be a brawler and i have been hit by as big of guys and as many different ways you could imagine but i can tell you nothing compares to the lick that excalibur crank handle and string hook put on me.a broken nose is childsplay compared to this wouldnt wish it on anyone.
So sorry to hear about the accident and hope you heal fast.

On the floaters, I suddenly got them last year and then ended up with a torn retina. The fix on the retina was fast...but very painful. The floaters are a bit different.

First, I am basically blind in one eye so naturally the floaters came in the good eye. When they came it was all of a sudden and covered almost the whole eye. Fortunately they decreased quite fast as I was not home at the time and had to drive.

In the next several days things changed a lot. The floaters changed shape and size many times but finally settled into just one spot...right is a bad spot. Over time, it has got to where if I look straight ahead and do not move the eyeball, the floater does disappear. But the slightest movement and it is right back. Looks like I'm stuck with it. I'll be seeing the eye doctor next week for a follow up.

Now get back to shooting so this doesn't bother you when you shoot.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Big John

n

Post by Big John »

Did I ever tell you how "Not" to Bear Hunt. :shock: :roll: My worst accident ev.....oh wait, sorry, thought this was going to be a lesson's learned thread. Never mind. :? :) Take care, heal fast!!!
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
kmtpr

Post by kmtpr »

OMG!! So very sorry to read of your mishap! :( Thank you for posting your story. Am sure it will help someone else. Hope you fully recover. Best wishes and good luck to you!!
Am a non-hunting woman who supports hunting and crossbows!

I rather be hated for standing up for what I believe in, than be popular by going against my beliefs.

NRA Golden Eagles & ILA, NJOA