Got the Excaliber fever

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fredbeer

Got the Excaliber fever

Post by fredbeer »

Brand new to the forum and Crossbows. I have quite a collection of Longbows and Recurves, but never owned a CB.

My choice has been narrowed to the Phoenix, which will be ordered this week. Got a few questions for all you veterans:

1 Is the package worth the extra $, scope good quality?

2 If I order the package, do the regular sights come with it also?

3 what bolts would be good for starters, alum or carbon?

4 fletching bolts? does the ten point system work well or what are other
options?

Thanks in advance. I'm really pumped about this new hobbby.
lscha

Post by lscha »

WELCOME Fredbeer!! Image
The veterans will be along shortly to answer your questions. In the mean time you can check out the signatures of alot of them here to see what they use and prefer. :D
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Boo

Post by Boo »

The package deal you ordered has enough for you to use as is. As such you can either hunt like that for ever like some do or gain enough experience to decide on higher end stuff like carbon arrows, brighter scopes, the Dynaflight string, better quiver mounts, etc, etc etc. The scope is quite serviceable for both hunting and 3D. The bottom line is that everything you will be getting is both what you need and of the quality that will not disappoint you.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the forum. I agree with Boo totally. The phoenix is a superb weapon and you should enjoy it very much.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Chuck Gravel

Post by Chuck Gravel »

the package is good but it is better to get the right stuff package seperate compared to the pheonix with the package. here is my example:

with package: http://www.xbowsplus.com/product/52024LUMI

or with package seperate: http://www.xbowsplus.com/product/44057LUMI

if you read the desciption you would think that you would get the same but i founf this out the hard way. if the get the combo package you dont get the standard peep site.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-Zone
Viper-X- Strings
NGSS (newguy)
vortex pro extreme 125
Boo

Post by Boo »

Chuck, to some of us the peep sights are pretty useless.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Peeps are primitive (worthless) at best...unless you absolutely can't use a scope where you hunt. In fact I have two unused ones if you need one.
But before you pull the trigger on the deal, check out the Ibex. Same great bow but with thumbhole stock. Very cool. And that's from someone who shoots a Phoenix (and also a Vortex).

Knowing what I know now I'd buy the bow and matching quiver then get the other stuff as I want it: Gold Tip carbon arrow, slick trick heads. Hawke MAP scope, etc. Make my own Stringer and extra string. But I agree, for a starter it's likely best to get the package deal.
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Welcome aboard fredbeer!

Just got my first CB (Exocet) yesterday and shot it today. I was surprisingly impressed with the quality and sharpness of such an inexpensive scope.

I got a slight variation of the "Right Stuff" package substituting different arrows and BHs. I think it is a good place to start but can see myself down the road putting together my own arrows and perhaps strings as I do for my trad bows.

Believe I'll be investing in a good CB target as my homemade target was allowing the CB arrow vanes to some time penetrate. Pulling the arrow through the target reulted in the vanes getting messed up.

Good luck....
munch

Post by munch »

welcome .my son got his first excal today at the archers nook in london. i thought he would want the vixen but he choose the pheonix he thought it fit better.we just put the xbow kenny string on it and had it tuned in in 3 shots. we also put on one of my munchmounts and mounted a black bonning quiver on it the quiver flew apart on the 5th shot i think there must have been a flaw in it because i have used the same on my exomag and never had that happen.
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
fredbeer

Post by fredbeer »

Thanks for all the responses folks. I think I will get the package deal since it will be a much better value as opposed to buying things piece meal.

Still not sure as to how the bolts are fletched. I've been fletching wood, aluminum, and carbon for years with a bitz. How do you folks fletch CB bolts?
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome to the forum
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

fredbeer wrote:Still not sure as to how the bolts are fletched. I've been fletching wood, aluminum, and carbon for years with a bitz. How do you folks fletch CB bolts?
FYI... I placed one of my finished Ash arrows having heavy right wing helical on the CB rail and was happy to find that the feather fit very nicely into the track of the rail. I was actually surprised to see how wide a track the CB has, I would have guessed a lot more narrow.

Take care...
michiganman

excalibur

Post by michiganman »

you bought from a great company,and this site is a great place to learn about your new xbow.I started here asking same questions last year,and many great guys here that will help you out.also the warranty is tops should you ever need it.I also bought the right stuff package at a great price,and will get you completely set up,and you can add to it when you want.i got mine last December,and shot a doe two weeks latter with it,JIM
turkey thumper
Rocket Broadhead staff
Throphy Ridge advisory staff
Boo strings
excalibur
paker tornado