Dry Fire Practice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bkisel

Dry Fire Practice

Post by bkisel »

Hi,

As some of you know I got my Exocet Friday and put it together Saturday morning but am unable to cock it myself because of recent hand surgery. Until I rig up some sort of wrist strap I need someone else to do the cocking for me. I was going crazy today with no one around to assist me but then realized I could get some decent practice by dry firing my Exocet much as I do with my handguns and BP rifle. A simple rope loop that draws the string about 3/4" is allowing me to at least get some dry fire practice. I can easily cock this "dry fire" rope using just my two index fingers. A plus is that when the bow fires the yellow nylon rope flashes in front of the scope giving a moments loss of the sight picture which is great for training for follow through. Though new to the crossbow I'm a long time shooter - I highly recommend, if your not doing so already, adding dry fire to your crossbow practice/training.

Take care...
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

When I dry fire I like to do it with authority! Pretty simple, just leave the arrow out. :D
For what you are doing I would switch to a small bungee cord, no flex on the limbs, same results..
A true dryfire includes a clean set of underwear.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
frisky

Post by frisky »

At a garage sale , I bought a cocking aid, wrist loops on both ends, so they are made that way. I am guessing it was a Horton brand.
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting