Bought the 09 HSS harness finally

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

The older I get the more I think about safety.. The kids are getting better at reminding me too, that helps.
Today I stopped by a buddies shop to pull him away for an afternoon beer, while waiting for him to instruct his staff I started yakking with one of his customers. She explained to me that the car on the hoist was her husbands, retired 2 weeks ago. 3 days ago he climbed an 8' ladder and cut a branch, reached out to pull it down and fell. "Catastrophic brain damage" were her words, an 8' drop cost him everything he had, he will never come home and never be the same. A couple hundred bucks on a safety system seem pretty trivial after a story like that.
I haven't got past the " I am invincible" part of life yet, but I get hints of it every now and then, especially when 6 little eyes are watching me leave, no expense or burden can stop me from doing what ever I have to to come home safe.
You did the right thing crazyfarmer, make sure you wear it.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Way to go CF. Got mine last yr, watched their video and found out how much I didn't about using one. Would have done me no good had I fallen, had the tether rope too long. Needs to be adjusted so you can get back on the stand (ladder) if you fall. Otherwise hanging in mid air in harness for any time will kill a person by cutting off circulation to legs and suffocation. Also made a safety rope with prussic knot for ascending and descending from stand---that's where most falls occur; even on ladders.
Statistics show that one in tree will be hurt using a tree stand (portable or perm) no sense in taking chances.
wildman

Post by wildman »

Best $140.00 you ever spent C F ,I've hunt for years with out one too but 2 years ago I bought the summit sit o the pants one it's a vest type too.Once you get used to wearing one you want wanna hunt without it.....Geo.
Exocet 200,
Miller Quiver Mount
Miller's Killers
Slick Trick B/H
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

i got the quick connect with it also which will help with hooking it up...

I watched the video also and found out the reason for the short strap.. its so you can actaully get back into the tree. I learned alot from the vid!

both of my hunting buddies are getting them now also.. seems I broke the ice on the HSS here LOL

heck, its worth the 60bucks for the treestalker one at bass pro right now.. something is better than nothing!
mikej

Post by mikej »

who is Mikey Vee
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Well, after 40+ years of climbing trees I also bought a Pro Series HSS system. That thought of nodding off bothers me to. We had of local here who fell and broke both ankles and crawled back to his truck and this is swamp country here so he had all he could do to keep from drowning.
Hard to brush that reality off. Good for you CF. Good Hunting. :wink:
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Cossack wrote: Otherwise hanging in mid air in harness for any time will kill a person by cutting off circulation to legs and suffocation.
The harness that Came with my Viper SS has a sewn in strap, about 10'-12' long in a pouch, it deploys to let you "stand up" in the harness in the event of a fall to avoid the whole circulation issue, or at least to help avoid it.
I thought that was a nice touch.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Pydpiper wrote:
Cossack wrote: Otherwise hanging in mid air in harness for any time will kill a person by cutting off circulation to legs and suffocation.
The harness that Came with my Viper SS has a sewn in strap, about 10'-12' long in a pouch, it deploys to let you "stand up" in the harness in the event of a fall to avoid the whole circulation issue, or at least to help avoid it.
I thought that was a nice touch.
very nice touch... no matter what, you still need a handheld or a cell on those front vest pockets. We all hope that the stands still there and maybe we can get back up though. But in the real world, we might just have to hang there untill help arrives