This just ain't right !!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

This just ain't right !!

Post by R.J. »

Checking out parts of North America that have good areas to hunt ... I have hunted pretty well most of my adult years in Ontario , but have hunted Saskatchewan and hunted Kentucky back in the 90's on private land , had a great time !

I typed in best deer hunt and was directed to this link ...

http://www.bestdeerhuntohio.com/260.html

Raise em up , release them to shoot :shock: :shock:

I know we shouldn't be knocking another hunters preference , but man ... this don't seem right !

They don't even look right ? ... they look like some distorted monster racks ?

Searched a little further ... Now that's more like it ... some home grown fair chase beauties ! ( lots of familiar faces as well ! )

http://www.ontariotrophybucks.com/untitled1.html

http://www.ontariotrophybucks.com/buckgallery3.html

http://www.ontariotrophybucks.com/moosegallery.html
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Gotta love the wild bruisers. So much more rewarding trying to outsmart a truely wild aninal.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I'm with you RJ, I think some of those freaks are in the record books all so, man has figured out how to take beauty and turn it into a beast :twisted:

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

planter wrote:I also understand you don't use grunt calls but instead make kissy sounds while holding out a shiny apple.
:D :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
whdahel

Post by whdahel »

planter wrote:? I also understand you don't use grunt calls but instead make kissy sounds while holding out a shiny apple.

:D
I m gonna try that next time im out , Im in N.E. Ohio though. wonder if it will work up here.

lol :lol:
Big John

y

Post by Big John »

Mike P. wont like these little sissy Deer!! :)
Recognized more than few few there! :)
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

John wrote:Mike P. wont like these little sissy Deer!! :)
Mike P doesn't like anything about this entire scenario!

I watched the video and I swear the guy was using a rifle. Rifles are not allowed to be used on "free ranging" whitetails in Ohio, we are a shotgun and slug state. The only exception are black powder rifles during the shotgun season and during a dedicated primitive weapons season.

Also, I heard the hunter saying this is what we have been looking for and then thanking his guide for putting him onto this animal. Give me a break!! What did the guide do, use a map like they hand out in Hollywood showing the locations of all the movie stars homes?

I have no problem with "high fence" operations regarding the hunting of exotics. I would never do it, but if that is what floats some guys boat, what the hell, let him pay his money and have his fun. But I do have a problem when it involves animals that are indigenous to the native land.

In addition, high fence farm raised genetic whitetail freaks muddy the waters regarding what is a true trophy. To me, this is no different then guys shooting old circus lions in a pen and calling it a lion hunt.:evil:

But hey, call me a hypocrite. I am the one that suggested to fred and kenton that they pen up and feed that buck for wabi to shoot for the contest. :lol:
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

These are all penned deer. These animals are considered livestock and not wildlife, which is why rifles can be used. As much as I don't like it, people are free to do what they want. The problem I have with high fenced opperations is that there are no repercussions for overhunting an area or just plain hunting it poorly. I wish I could hunt deer without playing the wind, or minimizing disturbances, but an opperation like this is built around hunting, because their clients are NOT hunters.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

The way I look at it, it's up to each person to decide what he/she wants in a hunt. If this is what someone wants to do, then that's their prerogative to do as they wish. I'm not going to bad-mouth anyone for hunting the way that they want, as long as it's legal.

There are people that call themselves hunters and go out and take their deer like this. Again, if that's what turns them on, then so be it. When the fit hits the shan and it comes to outlawing different types of hunting, different animals, or different weapons, I would rather have these people on "our" side instead of the other side. :wink: The money that they pay for their guns, ammunition, and other outdoor equipment still gets taxed, with those funds going to F&W departments.

Just because I may not do something myself doesn't matter. As long as it's not illegal, then there shouldn't be a problem. Ethics are a whole different ball of wax and are up to each person to decide for themselves.
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I could pay a farmer to shoot a pig or cow and keep the carcass, too.
But it isn't hunting, and there's nothing sporting about it!
wabi
Big58cal

Post by Big58cal »

wabi wrote:I could pay a farmer to shoot a pig or cow and keep the carcass, too.
And paying for a guided whitetail hunt where someone is in a heated, enclosed blind overlooking a food plot with several giant bucks in it is?? :?:

My point is that everyone has their own ideas of what they consider fair or what their idea of "hunting" is. This is the same as with the compound vs crossbow debate. If these people want to consider themselves hunters, what difference should it make to you or I? I hate to tell you, but hunters aren't exactly a huge chunk of the population anymore. Every person that we have on our side counts.

Granted, I can't see myself going to a shooting/hunting preserve like that, but I'm not going to knock someone else who does. If that's what they consider hunting, who am I to tell them that it's not?
The Only Purpose Of Bread Is To Hold Meat!

Common Sense Isn't Common Any More..........

"Salad isn't food. Salad is what food eats." --- Ellwoodjake

I'm a second-hand vegetarian. Deer eat vegetables, I eat deer.
Peach

Post by Peach »

Big58 hit it right on the nose....if I spot and stalk whitetails in the bush, no where around farms, food plots etc...does that make me more of a hunter than the guy that works all year putting in food plots and sitting in a nice warm tree house...

Hunting is personal and that is how it should be. I myself hate pigs, and don't think hog hunting is too cool, doesn't mean the hog hunter is a bad guy...I just don't like pigs.

I hunt grouse and shoot them with my .410 when they are on the side of a trail, not in flight...some people would think that is not sporting, I think it is a rather effective way of getting supper on the table...am I hunter or a killer???

There are all kinds of scenarios that we can criticize and argue till the cows come home...what I don't like is when these animals have the potential of hitting the record books.
2008 Equinox - STS - Boo String
wabi

Post by wabi »

The point I'm trying to make is not bashing guided hunts in the wild, even if it over food plots or feeders. Those feed sources can draw animals, but those animals are free to go elsewhere, too.

I'm saying shooting animals in a fenced enclosure where they have no means of escaping and limited means of even eluding you is not hunting by my definition. It's no more sporting (IMO) than shooting a farm animal in a fenced pasture or feedlot.

If someone want to shoot critters in an enclosure I have no problem with it anymore than I have with eating a burger from a restaurant, but I don't think the people in the slaughterhouse would say they were hunters when they kill a cow.
If you want to kill a critter in a high fence preserve it's fine to say, "I killed a huge critter" but you did not hunt it, you merely killed it.
In a lot of cases that is often about the only choice if you want to kill a particular species. There is a fenced "exotic animal preserve" near where I live, and I have friends that have killed animals there. They don't boast they hunted those animals, they will tell you, "yep, I killed that critter and hat it mounted" and let it go at that. :wink: :lol:
wabi
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I bet I could rope one of them..... :D
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Big58cal wrote:
wabi wrote:I could pay a farmer to shoot a pig or cow and keep the carcass, too.
And paying for a guided whitetail hunt where someone is in a heated, enclosed blind overlooking a food plot with several giant bucks in it is?? :?:
most of those hunts also result in nothing be harvested. If you watch the monstor buck vids. Thats a handful of hunts that were successful. Not evey hunt ends like that though.

Im not a fan of any type of pick your own and a guarantee still hunt.. normally those hunts cost 9-11k. The typical 3-5k hunts are always risky and 90% of the time the hunter comes home empty. But the hunts that you basically walk into a area and the buck you want it just standing there isnt to fair. Its no sport.. its like me getting money for hunters to come hog hunt in my 3 acre fenced pen. Its a 100% chance of a kill LOL

but still, its to each their own.. its a free country. Its legal for them to do that.. you just wont find most of us wanting to hunt that way though

im not gonna bash anyone for wanting to hunt that way:) Those deer arent supposed to be in the record books either. They have a seperate scoring for those