Waterhole stand, Advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Waterhole stand, Advice

Post by vixenmaster »

i have never had the chance to hunt anywhere close to a watering hole. so do i set-up my ladder stand below the dam or above or to either side ?
the dam side is going down hill to west/northwest. up hill side is east/southeast. there are 3 trails leading to and away. one on north dam side the other 2 southwest and northeast. the gravel county road is west/northwest about 150 yds. it runs south/north
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
cholafxsti

Post by cholafxsti »

maybe the best spot would be the one that gives you the best wind. which location has the wind in your face. at least most times. i'd go for that one if you can sometimes it isn't possible
Chola
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Set up down wind of the trail/dam (are they using the dam to cross?)
Last edited by VixChix on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Can't help ya with that one, 'Smoke ... there's water everywhere here in East Carolina ... every deep hole in the swamp, every canal, every ditch ... water don't tell you anything around here.

Deer hunting here is a real crap shoot ... there's a trail every ten yards! :P :lol:

I would, though, set up according to the prevailing winds in your area, if you have any ... we don't tend to have those, either ... at least, not for deer hunting purposes! :lol:
Grizz
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

Set up a trail cam for a week in different spots and see where the most activity is..
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

If I understand you correct. The trails are in abit of a triangle. I would assume you have a prevailing north west wind. Then I would get to the south east side. I tend to think the south west trail, and the north east trail may cross on the south west side. If that is the case I would get south east of where the trails cross. Is it possible to come in from the south east side? So you can come in to your stand from the down wind side. Now I may be on a totally different page, but this is the advice I would give with the map I made :D
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

vixchix the waterhole is small 10 yds long and maybe 12' across. they don't use it to cross just come up the trail drink and go back down and head up a dry creek bed. it has water only during heavy downpour, the creekbed that is. winds come from west/northwest during cold fronts. on the upside its somewhat flat for 35/50 yds then grades up
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

You need two stands if you can Smoke, one morn, one eve they will get a drink mid day also, play the wind and you got to figure where bedding is located, you have a pretty good chance for sure they need water, hope this helps. I hunt water holes they produce

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers