vanilla extract as cover scent?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

whdahel

vanilla extract as cover scent?

Post by whdahel »

Any one ever hear of using vanilla extract as cover scent? Ever try it? I read it in my outdoor life last year, how well does it work?
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

they already make it for cover scents.. it smells very good and always tend sto make me hungry LOL..

I used the stuff when I was about 15-16 years old. The problem was, deer smell it and will come to it. They are on alert when they do come in. I had 8 or 9 doe come up the first time using it and never could draw my bow back since they were on full alert looking for that smell.

does it cover your scent.. yes it does... but the problem is it gives the deer another scent to focus in on and look for

vanilla killer was the name of what I tried and they still make it believe
bkisel

Post by bkisel »

Hi,

I use it but not by itself. I make a cover scent of approximately 1/2 doe urine, 1/2 raccoon urine and a splash of vanilla extract. I've had deer come in and bust me, deer come in alert, deer come in relaxed and asking me to shoot them. Who knows if it really works or not? Maybe its more of a placebo for this old hunter than it is an attractant for deer? :lol:

Take care...
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

when i used it, i just wanted to go home and make homemade icecream LOL :P

it definitely will attract deer.. it makes them curious :lol:
scratcherky

Post by scratcherky »

Vanilla extract smells like acorns. That is the reason it attracts deer. I have used it as adrag to my tree and have had deer trail me in before I could get in my stand.
Man and man's best friend still looking at the green side of sod.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

I like attractants, and sometimes they do scare deer. My favorite is a tarsal gland on a fence that seperates two territories. But.....none are replacements for being clean and fresh yourself and downwind. Deer will smell vanilla AND hunter, even if all YOU smell is ice cream..
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
wabi

Post by wabi »

Vanilla flavored cigars & coffee brewing in the ground blind has worked more than once for me. :shock:
A couple years ago I had a button buck that came in from downwind many times when I lit up a vanilla flavored cigar and put the coffee pot on the alcohol stove - I believe he actually was attracted to the scent. But then he didn't fear human scent to begin with. I've walked within 30 yards of him when he was at the feeder and he wouldn't leave. Just look up then go back to eating. :roll: One evening he watched me climb up in the ladder stand and 10 minutes later was munching acorns under the stand. :lol:
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Undertaker wrote:I like attractants, and sometimes they do scare deer. My favorite is a tarsal gland on a fence that seperates two territories. But.....none are replacements for being clean and fresh yourself and downwind. Deer will smell vanilla AND hunter, even if all YOU smell is ice cream..
onething ill add is.. ive never had a buck bigger than a spike come to it.. mature deer always avoided it but that was with my experience and I only used it one year. I have much better luck with just using scent away and hunting downwind :D
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I've used those tiny bubble maker thingies you get at weddings to check wind direction - great to see what the wind does as they travel. I add a bit of vanilla to the bubble solution - never noticed that it did anything but I figured it wouldn't hurt.
Last edited by VixChix on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
whdahel

Post by whdahel »

thats a good easy Idea... thanks
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I use an attractant product produced and bottled by forum member Hoss called O'de Redneck.:lol:

I didn't have much luck bringing in deer, but Larry the Cable Guy did appear under my climber the second morning I tried it out. :wink:
wabi

Post by wabi »

Mike P wrote:I use an attractant product produced and bottled by forum member Hoss called O'de Redneck.:lol:

I didn't have much luck bringing in deer, but Larry the Cable Guy did appear under my climber the second morning I tried it out. :wink:
Was he carrying a rope to lasso a deer?
wabi
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Hey Now what the F. Boo I resemble that remark. Its a very compilcated reduced and multiplied scent derived from rope burn extract. For some reason it turned out smellin like budwieser ? go figure..

On the serious side ...deer being curious creatures almost any scent will pull in the young deer. Very hard to pull in a mature buck with any scent that does not belong in the woods according to him..

During the rut is the best time to full Mr mature with doe pee, tarsal etc. They are not thinking right during that time..lol
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!