climbing help needed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gogo

climbing help needed

Post by gogo »

hi folks im new to the forum, glad to be here. could i get help on the safest way to climb a tree to a hanging stand. thank you
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0046668418045a.shtml

treestand hoist;) I use them alot now when I'm hanging stands alone. It works pretty good;)

as for safety, I cant help you there. They make belts and etc you can slip around the tree to hold on.

I still do it the simple way.. climb up the tree. while the stands on my shoulder(backpak strap). Take the stand and put around the tree. Use my teeth and any means availlable to secure the stand :P
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The Hunter Safety System does a great job for me, both the vest and the safety line.
http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/catal ... ducts_id=9

Most falls occur when getting into or out of the stand. The safety line protects you from falls during that time. The vest protects you while in the stand. Be sure to watch their video about using the vest, as some vest users leave the tether far too long.
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/g ... x?a=546743

Welcome to the forum gogo.

I've used these climbing sticks for several years now. Cabela used to carry them and sportsmans guide usually gets leftovers to sell cheap. That is probably where they got these as they are much less than I paid. In fact, I'm going to order another set.

They are easy to put up and take down and makes climbing a tree much quicker, easier and safer.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
saxman

Post by saxman »

I put up a 16' ladder stand by myself,thought I was gonna kill myself
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Esox

Post by Esox »

The National Bowhunter Education Foundation (NBEF) has a video that comes with every treestand purchased that is an excellent source for information on treestand safety. I don't think it's available online, but you can probably get a copy of it from them or maybe a local bowhunting dealer might have one around that they can give you... It's called "Safe Treestand Hunting Video" and I dare say that EVERYBODY can something learn from it. Get a copy... In fact, IMHO all of the Excal family should view it before the season gets going... It a safety factor that we really need to take seriously...
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the Forum, Great people and lots of GOOD advice to be found here. I use a fixed latter stand.
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
watamach

Post by watamach »

For hangs on I use my gorilla climbing sticks (I think around $60 CAD at most shops) They are easy to install and take literally 5 mins at most. At the top I use the safety harness that comes with all stands and its has a linemen belt to wrap around the tree. I then use a rope that I have attached to the stand and hoist it up and install it. This system I find is secure feeling, easy and requires very little effort. I use 1 latter stand, 3 hang ons and a Lone Wolf Climber. For my hang ons I bought 2 sets of climbing sticks. They have 4 pieces per set. I usually leave the top 2 on every stand and take the bottom 2 in and out with me every so they dont get stolen or would take more effort for the person stealing it. I use the climbers for solo ladder stands also. Its easy to get the latter stand up against the tree but scary to climb when its not chained or strapped to the tree at the seat. I use the sticks to secure the ladder to the top before I go in it. Dont try and do a ladder stand you are screwed if you fall. Practice hanging stand on from the ground first.
gogo

thanks for the advise

Post by gogo »

thank you for all the good advise. my son his buddy and i got the tree stands up today, it was a tough job but were ready to rock and roll. cant wait for opening day