A Fall From Grace Epilogue

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

Post by Mike P »

My journal continues for another five months. I will not subject you to any more. Suffice it to say that it chronicles several more surgeries and documents how I learned to walk for the second time in my life. It tells of the struggles associated not only with the recovery from the fall, but of the strife and pressures endured by my wife and family. We always forget how hard things like this are on ones family.

The fall on November 22, 1997 changed my life. Some changes were for the good. Some were not. But good or bad, I was never the same man again. I lost any feeling I had of invincibility. I realized my own mortality. And I discovered just how fragile and short this life is we have to live.

But I also found a new appreciation of my life. I no longer take little things for granted. I remember the shear joy I experience the first time I took a shower some four weeks after the fall. Every time I walk out into the deer woods, albeit with a slight limp, I realize how fortunate I am. And I discovered how deeply I love my wife Annika. No, I am not the same man I was prior to the fall. I like to think there is some good to what took place. I like to think I am a better man for having survived this journey.

The purpose for sharing my experience with you was simple. I wanted you to see what happened to me. I wanted you to feel some of the pain. I wanted you to think "my god, that could happen to me! "

When you go to the trees this season I want you to think of me. And every time you put on your full harness I want you to think of your wife and family. They are counting on you to come home.

Take it from one who almost didn't.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Thank you for sharing the story Mike.
wabi
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Thank You Mike, As i have said a couple times earlier mine will be on :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Thanks for sharing. Reminded me of the pain and suffering in the book I read about being attacked by a bear.

Makes my decision to stay out of a tree, look like a good one. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Thank you Mike.
The best things in life are not things!!
hetichunter

Post by hetichunter »

Mike i want u to know that your story is being read by tons of folks who normally do not visit this forum. I belong to several forums and know many of those guys are coming here to read about your fall. There is no telling just how many hunters u have motivated to use harneses this year. I know i will never again go up a tree without one.

The way u tell your stories is so different and really hits home. Thank u for sharing such a painful part of your life with all of us. I think u may have just earned your wings! :wink:
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

Thanks for sharing Mike. I know I'm mostly on the ground hunting but this can also be a wake up call to always let someone know where you are going and what time to expect your return. Theres all kinds of accidents that can leave someone in the woods and if no one knows where you are, it will make the finding that much longer and more difficult.
Why ride when you can walk!
mikej

Post by mikej »

Thanks for sharing Mike
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
Grizzly Adam

Re: A Fall From Grace Epilogue

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Mike P wrote: I lost any feeling I had of invincibility. I realized my own mortality. And I discovered just how fragile and short this life is we have to live. But I also found a new appreciation of my life. And I discovered how deeply I love my wife Annika.
Those are some of the most valuable lessons that life has to teach, Mike. I'm glad you've learned them, however it had to happen.

I have said the last words over many a man who never seemed to realize or admit the general brevity of earthly life, the uncertainty of it's duration, and the certainty of it's physical conclusion. Sadly, by taking the gift for granted, I think many of them failed to appreciate it while they had it.

I don't think you should even question whether there was good in your "bad" experience. Your words quoted above prove beyond doubt that you gained more than you lost. You were a richer man when you dragged yourself away from that tree than you were when you climbed it. That's often the way with the trials we endure.

I hope that your chronicle of surprise, agony and recovery will stimulate many to "wake up and smell the coffee" ... and to be more careful in their stewardship of the life they've been given.
Grizz
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

Mike, The members have said it all. You may have saved quite a few. Thanks Again and the best of luck.

Dan
I am a hunter and proud of it.
GaryL

Re: A Fall From Grace Epilogue

Post by GaryL »

Grizzly Adam wrote:
Mike P wrote: I lost any feeling I had of invincibility. I realized my own mortality. And I discovered just how fragile and short this life is we have to live. But I also found a new appreciation of my life. And I discovered how deeply I love my wife Annika.
Those are some of the most valuable lessons that life has to teach, Mike. I'm glad you've learned them, however it had to happen.

I have said the last words over many a man who never seemed to realize or admit the general brevity of earthly life, the uncertainty of it's duration, and the certainty of it's physical conclusion. Sadly, by taking the gift for granted, I think many of them failed to appreciate it while they had it.

I don't think you should even question whether there was good in your "bad" experience. Your words quoted above prove beyond doubt that you gained more than you lost. You were a richer man when you dragged yourself away from that tree than you were when you climbed it. That's often the way with the trials we endure.

I hope that your chronicle of surprise, agony and recovery will stimulate many to "wake up and smell the coffee" ... and to be more careful in their stewardship of the life they've been given.
I had to quote this one as I can't state it any better then Grizzly Adam..

Mike as with all the rest on here whom have read your story, Thanks much as I am sure you opened some closed eye's on safety and the pain it can cause.

Have not had your experience, however when I thought my time was up back in Jan. 09 , and I pulled through, I think of what Grizzly Adam just posted and what you wrote stating you will never be the same man as before the happening!!

I know I sure waked up and now for sure take time to smell the rose's and pay attention with great care to what my wife and family has to say, and what they are doing. I also pay attention to what is going on all around me such as the birds singing, what the beautiful day might have in store for me and rain or shine it is still a great day for me. And as grizzly Adam stated "and to be more careful in their stewardship of the life they've been given"

Your story and Grizzly Adam's wise words has made my day.. So folks a little long winded but had to say it..

Thanks again Mile P.

GaryL .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
maple

Post by maple »

Mike and Annnika,

Thank you both for sharing this painful episode of your lives with us.

Sometimes you think you know someone, and then you find out you really don't. There's way more to people than what you can see, or hear, or infer from casual encounters. You made that perfectly clear. Your strength, good friends, and love are all well deserved. I'm sorry you had to go through what you did.

There is no doubt that you have saved some of us from learning that lesson the hard way.

Thank you

Maple
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

Mike, no doubt this still was a bit difficult for you to post. You showed the pain; both physical and emotional. For those who've never gone through something as drastic as this (or close to it) it is difficult to imagine. Yet your skill with use of words goes a long way to explaining what it was like.

May God be with you the rest of your days and keep you from any more harm like you have experienced.

Thank you.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
hetichunter

Post by hetichunter »

Mike u have some PM's.

Several other forums would like permission to post your story.
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!
Blood on the floor

Post by Blood on the floor »

Mike
You write My story so much better than Me. I kbow where You come from and feel each pain You had.
Mine was 47`- 40 broken bones, - 96 wire stiches, - 5 surgerys, - no paine pump, - 6 months in a wheel chair. Then the wife of 9 years walked away with 3 little ones. [ construction accident]
Didn`t hunt for 40 years till I found Excal. phoenix.
mark 10 :13