UV-KILLER?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big D

UV-KILLER?

Post by Big D »

What do you think does it work? I tried it last year not sure if it makes a difference. I do not own a black light to check in the dark. I did notice that the product had a smell. I was just wondering if anybody has had succeess using this product?

Thanks Big D
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

ive never used the stuff so I cant help you.. never had any glowing issues that I know of :P
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

crazyfarmer wrote:ive never used the stuff so I cant help you.. never had any glowing issues that I know of :P
I always thought that was just your halo shining in all your pics, 'Crazy! :P :lol:
Grizz
B-Logger

Post by B-Logger »

I recall only a couple of years after this product came on the market that I asked Chuck Adams what he thought about it. His answer was that with all the testing they had done, and that was a lot, he could not see where it made any difference.

However, I feel that it probably does not hurt so if it might help, perhaps it is another tool for us to use.
Keep smiling!
Dennis
Big D

Post by Big D »

Thanks For the feedback! Good luck hunting.
Undertaker

Post by Undertaker »

Most normal detergents contain brightners and scents. The idea being that a white shirt doesn't have to be truely white, if it can simply 'appear' to be white. They work very well for this effect.

I avoid these detergents when washing my camo. They make several detergents for washing camo and I use these instead. A spray may indeed coat these brightners and reduce the amount of light reflected, but it would be best to never add them to begin with.

I know that doves are especially sensitive to brightners. My girl friend washed my camo pile for me one day. :lol: Sure enough, they spotted me easily and would veer off. I knew what she had done. Had an old shirt in the truck, and shazamm, back in business. Invisible again.

I don't know if it is true that deer can pickup on them as easily as birds, but if it is, you might as well wear jeans. Because if you are aglow, it doesn't matter which camo pattern you are wearing. Deer can be tolerant of orange vests you know, so it may not really matter at all.

A good experiment would be to wash a shirt, white of course, and an old camo shirt in regular detergent. Then in a dark room, shine a black light on them. Then spray your special elixir and see if a difference can be seen. Then you will know if it is money wasted.

BTW- I think these brightners wear off over time and multiple washings. They must, as they add so much to the detergent, just to keep the illusion alive - " Your shirts are so much cleaner using our soap. We keep your whites white and your brights bright". Spend money on good scent free, no UV brightner detergents, instead of coverups.
Just an over informed newbie with a misinformation spreading disorder- and a Vortex
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

:lol: I guess that just proves that deer are all Party Animals :P

I just ordered the 18 oz. UV Killer from Cabela's to use on my florescent orange gear as it too came from China and was meant to glow. Checked it under the black light and will spray on the killer to find a difference I hope.
Big D

Black Light

Post by Big D »

What type of black light should I get to check hunting clothes? I assume there are different kinds what am I looking for?

Thanks Big D
dlzinck

Re: Black Light

Post by dlzinck »

Big D wrote:What type of black light should I get to check hunting clothes? I assume there are different kinds what am I looking for?

Thanks Big D
Scent lok makes one that will not only reduce UV alteration in your clothes, but allso makes them scent free. You'll be like the invisable man You wont been seen or smelt.
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/dlzinck/arrow.gif[/img]

Good hunting!!
Pround member of Team PETA
Big D

Post by Big D »

Thanks thats funny but didn't help!
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

I read a scholarly research article in an academic journal several years ago (I am unable to remember the name of the journal) that tested and evaluated how deer react to different colors in the spectrum. The research question that was asked was: How deer perceived colors based on the differences in the rods and cones in the eyes of deer vs. the rods and cones in a human eye.

Conclusion: The only color that deer reacted to was the color blue. As stated in a post above, the brighteners in modern detergents are actually bluing agents that make whites look whiter. This is also an old painter’s trick. When paints were once mixed and tinted on site, these painters added a pinch of cobalt blue to white paint to make it appear whiter.

I am old enough to remember my mom having a little corked bottle of “Bluing” sitting beside her wringer washing machine which she added to the white wash. The worst switching that I ever received from my mom occurred on the day when this four year old reached up and poured the bottle of “Bluing” over my head.
dlzinck

Post by dlzinck »

Big D wrote:Thanks thats funny but didn't help!
Sorry, I'm in a crazy mood today and couldn't help myself :twisted:
[img]http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s259/dlzinck/arrow.gif[/img]

Good hunting!!
Pround member of Team PETA
vaguru

Post by vaguru »

FWIW, manufacturer claims one Proper application of UV KIller lasts the life of the garment, as long as washed in their soap. I have been using it since I first learned of it in the early 90's.. I believe it works. Use a BLB black light to check. Just bought some new camo this year. Most didn't glow under the BLB light, but one item did. You can see the difference immediately after spraying, while still wet. Items need 3 days dry time before wearing. Since my first use, I'm only on my 3rd bottle of the product. I check my items under the black light occaionally, and the product does seem to last as stated. JMO
Gold Tip Pro Staff
Bohning Pro Staff