Post by animal »

please read this it can save your life?

http://www.chuckhawks.com/2009_CVA_update.htm

photographs of injuries http://cvaguncases.com/Photographs_Page.html
NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF ALL INVENTION

EXOCET 200
Normous

Post by Normous »

Those are some painfull photos. Yikes!!!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
philman

Post by philman »

Thats insane! Im going to pass this one on to others! luckily nobody died yet. My uncle just bought a Kodiak and he would have bought something else if he had seen this first. INSANE :x :x :x
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

CVA is always going to have my issues since they sell cheaper ML'ers so more people buy them...

not defending them.. I personally have never owned one of theirs.. i just never liked the feel or quality. The optima Pro seems like a decent ML'er though. I have a few friends that use it and all have their fingers still.

other factors come into play on this also.. do they take care of the gun? Most buy a ML'er and NEVER clean it. Or some idiot loads to much powder or a wrong size sabot. Its some factors that could come into play. Its always 2 sides to the story. The above was just one. I'd like to see what caused the ML'ers to go bad. What parts broke or blew?

btw, thanks for the info also btw... Im sticking with T/C though :P
fdegurse

Post by fdegurse »

We 've three guys in our group with CVA's because they were affordable and accurate, they've been no problem so far, Good Info though!

Looks like a lot of loose breech plugs were loose which would be operator error but a couple of those look like bad barrels,

I shoot a Remington Genesis,

Safe hunting
Frank and a 2005 Exomax
Rich

Post by Rich »

I've never owned a CVA, I always considered them of poor quality (Traditions are not far behind). Just pick one up and you can feel how cheaply made they are. I'll stick to my Knight MK-85 and T/C Omegas.

Rich
JRS

Post by JRS »

Rand Wakeman has for years sounded off against the Spanish made muzzle loaders (CVA, Traditions, Remington Genesis, etc.) as to not being built to the standards necessary to ensure safe shooting. He has always advocated American built guns, (T/C, Savage, Knight), which are proof tested to make sure they are safe to shoot.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

JRS wrote: (T/C, Savage, Knight), which are proof tested to make sure they are safe to shoot.
3 best guns made if you ask me.. just sad to see Knight stop producing though

I always double check my breech to assure its in tight. Also double check to make sure everything is locked into place. Ive got a remington and traditions I won at a sale that just sit in a box.. never liked the design, but they were free LOL
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Rich wrote: I'll stick to my Knight MK-85 and T/C Omegas.

Rich

Ditto on the Knight and Omega!
dutchhunter

cva

Post by dutchhunter »

i shot severl cva guns with no problems at all keep them clean and tight thy will shot well DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
Rick Teal

Post by Rick Teal »

This Wakeman has been all over the web for years trying to peddle this crock. I've even heard he's employed by Savage.

Do you really think that these companies would market substandard rifles in the litigation happy US? They'd be driven out of business with court settlements. I own 2 Traditions and one CVA, and I've never seen any kind of problem. I've also never heard of any structural problems with the guns he preaches against.
I hunt, therefore I am.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I own one CVA I picked up in a trade. Only shot it a few times to check function/accuracy and saw no problems. I don't (and wouldn't) stuff magnum loads of the new powders down one, but with reasonable loads I don't fear shooting it.
Not my style of rifle (inline - I prefer the old sidelocks), but if I needed to hunt with it I wouldn't be too concerned.
I'll bet most of those failures were with heavy loads, and there's always a good possibility the bullet wasn't seated properly.
wabi
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

wabi wrote:I own one CVA I picked up in a trade. Only shot it a few times to check function/accuracy and saw no problems. I don't (and wouldn't) stuff magnum loads of the new powders down one, but with reasonable loads I don't fear shooting it.
Not my style of rifle (inline - I prefer the old sidelocks), but if I needed to hunt with it I wouldn't be too concerned.
I'll bet most of those failures were with heavy loads, and there's always a good possibility the bullet wasn't seated properly.
thats what im thinking.. some of these ML'ers arent built to handle 150grains but people dont know that most of the time. I know most of the pre 07 ML'ers werent built for 150grains
Limbs and Sticks

ppost sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

CVA had a problem a few yrs back with the FIREBOLT MODEL, I can't remember the serial numbers to look for. say 2 up to 20 any thing before or after is good, CVA let this be known,Traditions comes out of the same barn made by the same people, the lighting bolt may have been involved also, Wakeman is a starting pt. to find out about something, never known him to work for Savage as far as I know he's still looking for a job with any gun company. He bad mouth Cecil Epps at PRB until he shot the dead centers in the Knight dics elite and the Savage smokeless, Someone should call CVA to make sure. People have been shooting 150grs for yrs, it could be human error in the cases?

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

lets face the truth here, none of us were present during any of those accidents. we really don't know what was loaed nor how much powder or if it was even blk or substitute of blk. like most here have said you don't need large doses of powder to harvest game. 50-100 is all you ever need to use.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315