which string

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

912zeus912

which string

Post by 912zeus912 »

which string comes on a new 09 crosswbow?wht is a flemish string faster?which string will creep less?
buzzards gotta eat too!(JOSIE WELLS)
sumner4991

Re: which string

Post by sumner4991 »

912zeus912 wrote:which string comes on a new 09 crosswbow?wht is a flemish string faster?which string will creep less?
Dacron Endless Loop string comes with the crossbow. Fast Flight Flemish string is faster because the material is made to where there is less air resistance. It's a tighter material. Less stretch.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wildman

Post by wildman »

I'm like 912 I'm having trouble understanding these strings ,some say the fff has less stretch while other say the endless loop dacron has less .I talked with dan miller last night about this very subject and he seemed to think the endless loop dacron had less stretch,and was a little easier on your bow to boot. :) Geo.
Exocet 200,
Miller Quiver Mount
Miller's Killers
Slick Trick B/H
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

wildman wrote:I'm like 912 I'm having trouble understanding these strings ,some say the fff has less stretch while other say the endless loop dacron has less .I talked with dan miller last night about this very subject and he seemed to think the endless loop dacron had less stretch,and was a little easier on your bow to boot. :) Geo.
That's been my experience when I was shooting FFF, they both stretch but the FFF seemed to do it more. I got to the point when I put a new FFF on, I'd set the bheight 3/8" or so above high mark and leave the bow cocked overnight a time or two to save a few adjustments.

A new string can drive you nuts w/ shifting poi as it settles in especially if you use a scope.

I've been shortening rope cockers for about 5 yrs now, leaving them on the bow strings w/ no ill affects. New strings stretch, although Boo has a different term for it, the end result is they get a tad longer and change bheight.

I just check my bheight at the start of every shooting session, no biggie to throw a few twists in as string. On the few occasions I didn't check and my poi shifted, it wouldn't have mattered on a big game animal, still well in the boiler room.
"Eze 18:21"
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

The FF material itself stretches less than dacron. However, depending on the tightness of the braiding/loops in a new flemish . . .there could be more settling in a flemish. The difference, the fast flight will settle much quicker. In all the strings I've tested, the dacron stretched more and it took longer to settle down. Of course, some of those were Boo strings and his are prestretched.

When it comes right down to it . . .it really doesn't matter. Both materials are easy to manage as far as a crossbow string is concerned.

I like both materials for different reasons. When it comes to hunting, I have a Boo string on my bow and the Dacron is hanging on the wall. I think the Boo string is more consistant and it's definitely faster.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

If you haven't looked at this string footage . . .it's worth watching.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... hp?t=28720

Watch the dacron string being shot, then compare it to the Boo string. Seems like from the footage, the Boo string(FF) would be easier on the bow without all that whipping back and forth. However, the FF material stops quicker and thus adds a higher degree of stress to the limbs. But, the less whipping, makes for a smoother release/follow through and thus a more accurate/consistant shot.

The elastic qualities of the Dacron makes it quieter and easier on the limbs, especially in case of a dryfire.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I too make my own string, including pre streched Flemish. Flemish stings tend to stretch more, and take longer to settle in. My endless loops, which I now use only on the compound bow, stretch hardly at all. But they are not made of Dacron.The stock Dacron string stretches, but not nearly as much as the stock Flemish, and settles quicker. Flemish strings MAY be faster if they are made to a smaller diameter. When stock strings are compared the Flemish will likely not be more than 5-7 fps faster on a bow like the Vortex than the Dacron.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
wabi

Post by wabi »

There's two words used to describe strings - stretch & creep.
I have a hard time keeping them in proper perspective (I may get it backwards :roll: ) but stretch is the elasticity of the material, and creep is the lengthening over time with pressure applied caused by the individual strands compacting together (the string diameter actually gets smaller).
Both materials are subject to creep, but dacron stretches far more.
Dacron is a bit gentler on the bow limbs because of the stretch and is recommended by Excalibur for new shooters because of the fact is is less likely to damage the limbs with a dry-fire.

An endless loop string creeps less than a flemish twist string because the loops of a flemish twist string are subject to more "settling in" in the break in period. Makers like Boo pre-stretch strings and make the break in period much shorter and less dramatic. A dacron string will creep more over time than a "fast flight" because the material used in "fast flight" strings is less elastic.

The type of string construction - endless loop vs flemish twist - has very little effect on velocity. The type of material - dacron vs fast flight - has a great deal of velocity difference.

To sum it up to MY personal opinions -
*endless loop strings are easier to make but are a bit less appealing in looks.
*flemish twist strings look more appealing (more "traditional") but will creep more during the break in period.
*dacron is slower but more "forgiving" in the event of a dry fire, and is possibly less stressful on the limbs. it is also a bit quieter on many bows.
*fastflight (under any of it's trade names) is a bit faster, but is best used carefully. avoid mistakes like dry fires if you use fast flight, and use fast flight ONLY on bow limbs designed for it! (use it on the old carved limb tips and it will split the limbs!)
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I agree wabi . . .I guess the confusion is the flemish I've shot has always been FF and the endless loop has always been dacron. If looking at the differences in strings from the same material, then my conclusions may differ.

The speed difference between FF and dacron . . .FF will still be faster even with the same diamenter string because of the elastic nature of the dacron. Same goes for the accuracy, in my opinion.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

One more point. Flemish stings are much stronger. That's because the full diameter of the string is carried out throughout the ends. It's made from two or more bundles that are twisted and braided together. By contrast, and endless loop is divided in two on it's ends. For example, my Flems are made with 24 strands. My endless loops (different material) are 32 strands - which is split in two to form the loop. i.e., 16 strands on each side.
Even a 40 strand Dacron string has only 20 strands on each side.
As for a EL being easier to make, I guess that it depends what one is used to making. Flemish strings actually take me less time to make. (No loops or ends to serve).
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!